The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Well my first (and probably only) wedding shoot went okay yesterday.

It was my sister in law's thing and fairly relaxed so didn't feel under too much pressure. The light was great - although for the outdoor ceremony the light was a bit brutal. The only rookie mistake I made was right before the minister said "you may now kiss the bride..." I decided to change lens so I missed that.

Right now I'm trying to get everything in my cloud for safety and I'm quickly discarding anything that is out of focus (shot on fast release mode and there is the odd one which he focus just missed).

Good fun but I think I'll stick to landscapes.

My new Neewer flash was awesome though - just left it on auto and it worked well. The reception was in a big marquee so I could bounce it off the roof and it diffused well.

Nice, I really like those last 2. Been wanting a pic with a road going into the distance for a while but I haven't found a suitable spot.

Shot this with my 35mm sigma and it is crispy! My new favorite lens

Crispy by Mayank, on Flickr

Well my first (and probably only) wedding shoot went okay yesterday.

It was my sister in law's thing and fairly relaxed so didn't feel under too much pressure. The light was great - although for the outdoor ceremony the light was a bit brutal. The only rookie mistake I made was right before the minister said "you may now kiss the bride..." I decided to change lens so I missed that.

Right now I'm trying to get everything in my cloud for safety and I'm quickly discarding anything that is out of focus (shot on fast release mode and there is the odd one which he focus just missed).

Good fun but I think I'll stick to landscapes.

My new Neewer flash was awesome though - just left it on auto and it worked well. The reception was in a big marquee so I could bounce it off the roof and it diffused well.

Post up some shots when you can! What lens did you choose? Weddings can be intimidating but having two bodies is very helpful.

I used 3 lenses - a lot of the general stuff with my Sigma 17-50/2.8, some portraits and the stuff as it got later with my Nikon 50/1.8 and some longer shots of the ceremony with my Tamron 70-300.

My first quick cull got rid of about 100 shots of the 500 and I flagged 139 as looking good so that seems reasonable. Haven't had time to do anything to them yet though.

My first quick cull got rid of about 100 shots of the 500 and I flagged 139 as looking good so that seems reasonable. Haven't had time to do anything to them yet though.

Lol the guy I shot with kept reminding me throughout the day that whenever I had a down moment or wasn't shooting to continually go through and delete the throwaways. Really helped when it came down to finalizing the album. Would've been drowning in a sea of throwaways if he didn't remind me.

Lol the guy I shot with kept reminding me throughout the day that whenever I had a down moment or wasn't shooting to continually go through and delete the throwaways. Really helped when it came down to finalizing the album. Would've been drowning in a sea of throwaways if he didn't remind me.
sometimes what you think is a throwaway is really a great image ...

sometimes what you think is a throwaway is really a great image ...

Yeah, I did that too - just the obviously bad shots. This was when I put them in LR - sometimes on the bigger screen I could see that the focus had missed or there were multiple shots of the same thing so I just picked one. I used the flag method - flag for good ones (139), unflag for bad ones and left some alone. At the end you can just select to delete all the black flagged ones which saves a lot of time.

Then my plan is to look at the good ones and make the necessary edits. I'll only go back to the others if I need something else.

I used the flag method - flag for good ones (139), unflag for bad ones and left some alone.

I just did this last night with the pics I took over my fam's house Sunday on my phone. I love editing my pics on my phone because it's so much easier to flag em, then go through the positive flagged pics and rate em, then filter them down to 3 or 4+ starred pics left to edit.

How do you guys travel with your cameras? I have a trip to NO planned for next month and I hope to have the A7 by then. However, can you carry your camera on the plan with you with the changes in airport security? It seems like the rules go up and down every week.

Recent project that I was very excited about
20293170_1594573663888672_5279328076464489530_n.jpg

20368821_1594573657222006_7222166582852579050_o.jpg

20375986_1594573660555339_6553563988495491427_n.jpg
20369905_1594573730555332_5752214936034675865_o.jpg
20294426_1594573783888660_7075384592436915330_n.jpg
20376084_1594573813888657_3460890342647343546_n.jpg
20476269_1594573830555322_4956391253079619385_n.jpg

20292591_1594543150558390_2197003549659756358_n.jpg

How do you guys travel with your cameras? I have a trip to NO planned for next month and I hope to have the A7 by then. However, can you carry your camera on the plan with you with the changes in airport security? It seems like the rules go up and down every week.

Airline regulations with electronics have changed and will implemented over the next few weeks/months.

Basically all electronics larger then a cell phone need to be individually screened. Just make sure when you are screened that your camera is easily accessible.

Funny you bring up this topic. I’m actually on a work trip in Chicago. Flying out of Newark my camera wasn’t individually screened. As I said the policy will be phased in over time.

Also if you read up on the TSA website about lithium batteries....if you have spares, place them in ziplock bags and keep them in separate compartments. Traveling with my 70D, I took the battery out, and along with the spares placed them all in separate bags in separate compartments. Maybe that was overkill, but that’s how I interpreted the TSA website.

They actually want you to travel with your camera as hand luggage - and a laptop can't go in the hold. I'm carrying my camera backpack and my laptop in a case which is a pain.

They're not interested in the camera though - I've had to take my laptop out at every checkpoint but the camera bag didn't even need to be opened. I've got a lot of cables and stuff in there too so you would think it looked suspicious.

I checked earlier too (because my bag was right on the limit) and you can also take a tripod on the plane. Mine fits on the outside of my bag but I usually check it in my luggage just to save carrying it.

They actually want you to travel with your camera as hand luggage - and a laptop can't go in the hold. I'm carrying my camera backpack and my laptop in a case which is a pain.

They're not interested in the camera though - I've had to take my laptop out at every checkpoint but the camera bag didn't even need to be opened. I've got a lot of cables and stuff in there too so you would think it looked suspicious.

I checked earlier too (because my bag was right on the limit) and you can also take a tripod on the plane. Mine fits on the outside of my bag but I usually check it in my luggage just to save carrying it.
Thanks, both of you for the info, any chance you can post of picture of your bag or at least the type. I normally take Quicksilver bookbag when I fly, but I don't think it would be the best option when flying with a camera.

Thanks, both of you for the info, any chance you can post of picture of your bag or at least the type. I normally take Quicksilver bookbag when I fly, but I don't think it would be the best option when flying with a camera.

I’m using a lowepro bag. I have my camera in the lower rear compartment with 3 lenses (40mm on my 70D, a 24mm, & 10-18mm). Plus had room in the other compartments for tickets, chargers, mini Manfrotto tripod in the side pocket, headphones & iPod Touch in the top pocket. Before I get screened goin home gonna put the camera in the top pocket so that it’s easily accessible if I need to take it out.

Attachments

• IMG_3642.JPG
    IMG_3642.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3643.JPG
    IMG_3643.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 13

Ridiculously I'm still in an airport - now in Chicago after my flight yesterday was cancelled.

The rules say that Lithium batteries can't go in the hold - but no-one wanted to see them. I have both of mine in my battery grip attached to the camera along with 3 lenses, cable release, flash unit, 10 AA hybrid batteries, and a bunch of little things and they didn't even want me to unzip it.

IMG_2726.JPG
IMG_2725.JPG

I really appreciate the effort Fuji puts into their sensors though, really different design than others

But if you need video too then def Sony since they offer IS

Ridiculously I'm still in an airport - now in Chicago after my flight yesterday was cancelled.

The rules say that Lithium batteries can't go in the hold - but no-one wanted to see them. I have both of mine in my battery grip attached to the camera along with 3 lenses, cable release, flash unit, 10 AA hybrid batteries, and a bunch of little things and they didn't even want me to unzip it.

IMG_2726.JPG
IMG_2725.JPG
Thanks, hopefully you finally make it home soon.

Back
Top Bottom