The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Haven't posted in a while, good stuff everyone
pimp.gif

Just two of my favorite shots that I took yesterday, enjoy!

4448590514_11fd0dc923_o.jpg

4448576136_930f45c55b_b.jpg

Originally Posted by Twig1026

I'm looking to start out...is a nikon d40 good for beginners? Also what kind of lens would you guys recommend?
D40 is a great camera for beginners, but there are better ones depending on your budget.

What's your budget?
What do you want to shoot?
What kind of "look" do you want your photos to have?
Is this just for photos with good image quality or are you looking to get into this as a serious hobby?

Originally Posted by solemunchies

pimp.gif

WHERE DID YOU GET THIS?!

Originally Posted by NikeAirsNCrispyTees

Originally Posted by Twig1026

I'm looking to start out...is a nikon d40 good for beginners? Also what kind of lens would you guys recommend?
D40 is a great camera for beginners, but there are better ones depending on your budget.

What's your budget?
What do you want to shoot?
What kind of "look" do you want your photos to have?
Is this just for photos with good image quality or are you looking to get into this as a serious hobby?
These are all things I'll have to figure out as I go along but I'm seeing some really good deals on craigslist for this particular camera with a wide variety of lens'...mostly great vacation shots, partying, moments with friends and family first...then as I get more comfy random shots and some sort of "professionalism". I know its a lot to learn/know, but at the same time it boils down to pointing and clicking so all that will come in time...I just dont want to spend a grip on something and be totally lost for a few months before I figure out what I should be doing.

Originally Posted by TmAk15

pimp.gif

WHERE DID YOU GET THIS?!
I don't know, it was on someone's bike, he rides through LA, the bike has Highland Park on it. Want more pictures of the bike?

So I'm guessing that pretty much everyone in here is using DSLR or some type of film camera. But does anyone just use a Point & Shoot camera?
I wanted a DSLR but after looking around for ones that also had video capability the prices were getting to up there, so then looked at point & shoot. and found a Canon PowerShot SX20IS. Seems perfect for what I want to use it for (maybe upgrade later if I get deep into it)

Originally Posted by omgitswes

So I'm guessing that pretty much everyone in here is using DSLR or some type of film camera. But does anyone just use a Point & Shoot camera?
I wanted a DSLR but after looking around for ones that also had video capability the prices were getting to up there, so then looked at point & shoot. and found a Canon PowerShot SX20IS. Seems perfect for what I want to use it for (maybe upgrade later if I get deep into it)
if you want to get an idea of how a DLSR works but don't want to go through the process of getting one and spending on lenses and what not. Try the Canon G11 or G10. It has the similar modes to a DSLR such as Full Manual and Aperture and Shutter Priority on the dial
pimp.gif

I actually ended up with a g11. The t1i i was getting for the deal was sold by the time I hit dude back.. Expect to see me around more often. Decided on this that why when Im used to shooting and modes it will be time to upgrade and this will be my lugger ill take when I dont want to take a dslr.

if you want to get an idea of how a DLSR works but don't want to go through the process of getting one and spending on lenses and what not. Try the Canon G11 or G10. It has the similar modes to a DSLR such as Full Manual and Aperture and Shutter Priority on the dial
pimp.gif

thanks for the suggestion and I'm def open to any. But the one thing about that one is it can't film HD like the other ones I've been look at. I saw a SX1 is i think that's what it was called. and yeah right now its between that and the SX20IS

pimp.gif

Eh.....I wouldn't get it. Yes a G9-12 has manual features but it will never achieve the same style shots as a DSLR. Trust me.....I had G9 and was just so disappointed with it from battery life to picture quality. And why spend $500 on a point a shoot when you can just use it towards a DSLR. I would say just go for the plunge and get a DSLR. If budget is an issue, then get an older model or even a used one off Craigslist. A Canon XTi/XSi might be a start start and after that invest in some lenses and when you are done with that body, just upgrade to that.

Hey all.  Finally made the leap and got a DSLR, never had a digi before and figured with vacations coming up and what not it would be the perfect kind.  I ended up purchasing the Nikon D3000 kit for close to $400.  Any suggestions at all would be helpful! Accesories, bags, I'm completely green when it comes to this ( GF took a photo class in undergrad).  Here's a few shots I came out with the other day ( And yea, the cat was the first thing I could find haha)

6c525e1e49ede5a468cb75c92fd1b7898154b7a.pjpg

fdd350ffe859e97b5d0767edb8eb89933b1e50d.pjpg

How come Judge Joe Brown didn't mention any Nikon Cameras?
nerd.gif

JK. Damn, did she really try to use an 18-55 in a low lighted church?

i got a question for you guys in here:

is double sided matte paper photo quality paper? i have a digital art class and the teacher told us that all our prints need to be on photo quality paper. i went and bought a pack of this type and im not quite convinced even though it says it on the box.
laugh.gif

I need some help for a slr beginner should I purchase a used Canon Rebel XTI or a brand new Canon Rebel XS(I)?

I plan on taking up photography as a hobby and also taking classes...

I came home for spring break and my dad greeted me with huge smile saying he had a surprise for me.  When my family moved into our house in the early 90's it was was fully furnished. The fam that used to live here were whites that fled South-Central LA in response to the Watt's riots in the 60's leaving everything behind. Turns out that my garage has a hidden room that was boarded up and drywalled shut until my dad stumbled on it and broke through with a sledge. It's a darkroom! Check it out:
4453307680_2b80531a08_o.jpg

4453308104_996accb6f8_o.jpg

4452533313_08c1509215_o.jpg

4453308310_ff6b6ea271_o.jpg

I think it's a sign I should take up film now haha

Im a beginner in photography. and I needed a camera today and I bought a Nikon D3000. Whats are some basics I should know. Im gonna take a photo class this summer. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom