**The Official Ralph Lauren Polo Thread**

Here's goes my list of brands that had a brief run during the Polo drought years 97-2002 IMHO...in no particular order
1. Iceberg
2. Avirex
3. Diesel (still around, not prominent)
4. Those colorful Daytona 500 jackets
5. Prada boat sneakers

There are a lot more, I just can't think of them right now...feel free to add Lol

Lol, that hat retailed for $40 and the "polo" flag flip for $50...these items somehow garnered high status more recently...back around 97-2002 a lot of people weren't thinking of these items as classics, I remember the satin script jacket retailed for $300 and it was sitting on rack till it went down to $100 at the Atrium when I copped it, I thought I was so lucky, but a lot of classic now used to just sit around at deep discount, the Lo culture was very limited to those in the know...remember the chambray duck sportsman? I thought it was cool, man they couldn't give those shirts away...they were marked down to like $30 just hanging around. Brands like Iceberg, Avirex, Diesel got more props, but I still held on to Polo even through the drought yrs... I've never owned any Iceberg or Avirex (did have some Diesel, can't front) but I rarely took to trendy gear. Polo Ralph Lauren is an American icon among vast sea of brands, but still the classics and current classics I feel belong to the select few who know the culture.

LMAO YES, YES, AND YES!!!

Here's goes my list of brands that had a brief run during the Polo drought years 97-2002 IMHO...in no particular order
1. Iceberg
2. Avirex
5. Prada boat sneakers

There are a lot more, I just can't think of them right now...feel free to add Lol

Versace, Moschino, Coogi, Burberry, Lacoste, Mitchell & Ness jersey's, Ecko, Fubu, Rocawear, etc.

If dudes were popping those Iceberg orange labels, you were late to Iceberg haha.

I love how people's collections look like this: item 1 from Polo 1992, item 2 from Polo 2002, item 3-6 Polo 2010-2013 "I'M A LO-HEAD"

Thanks Muddy. I honestly couldn't tell you the year, but I do know that RL had miles of this wool print. It was used on men's and women's coats, vests, hats, a poncho, and I think there was a wallet too.

It's hard to pinpoint the year on this RL beacon print. Although, It's very similar to the Woolrich wool print jackets from the mid '90's.

Agreed re: Wiz - the Lichtenstein reference will likely go over the head of most, though.

I'm waiting on duke's response too. ...I mean I don't mess with everybody's style in here, but I don't have high hopes for what homie is going to say. Actually I don't have high hopes that he'll even respond.
I forgt I even commented in here. What I said was self explanatory, no need to elaborate my god fellows

I forgt I even commented in here. What I said was self explanatory, no need to elaborate my god fellows
I would like to know what specifically "the worst "polos" that you've ever seen" that were posted. I don't remember a lot of "polos" on the pages before your comment.

You are definitely entitled to your own oppinion. It's an open discussion so please do elaborate. Your experience with textiles, manufacturing, and years ofexperience in the fashion industry may help a few of us out.

Please understand that this thread is about Ralph Lauren...the entire umbrella. There's much more to the brand than what's on the the racks at your local dept stores.

I tried to exchange 2 shorts from the 65%, they processed it as returns and wont honor the exchange. Anyone have luck changing their mind,

I tried to exchange 2 shorts from the 65%, they processed it as returns and wont honor the exchange. Anyone have luck changing their mind,
Wasn't itt already stated that they weren't going to honor exchanges on those items? 

Last edited:
^Idk but I replied to the return email with an angry message about how this is unprofessional and just got an email back that they WILL honor my exchange! Haha. Broad on the phone offered me 25% off on the same items, then upped it to 30%. F that!

To make it clear, I called first, sent the email after.

Last edited:
^Idk but I replied to the return email with an angry message about how this is unprofessional and just got an email back that they WILL honor my exchange! Haha. Broad on the phone offered me 25% off on the same items, then upped it to 30%. F that!

To make it clear, I called first, sent the email after.
Nice! Hopefully your method works for anyone else that needs to exchange stuff, which will probobly be a few people with RL and his sizing. Last year when the fatigue jacket I liked went on sale I ordered 3 sizes so I could get the fit rite! Lol

Found some ripstop rrl cargos

i actually only want Polo with tennis graphics on them...

just focusing on the sport of tennis...

so dope!

i have some Polo Golf joints im thinking about knocking off on the bay soon btw...

but Polo Tennis graphics were too ill...

dont matter which year

:smokin

Nice! Hopefully your method works for anyone else that needs to exchange stuff, which will probobly be a few people with RL and his sizing. Last year when the fatigue jacket I liked went on sale I ordered 3 sizes so I could get the fit rite! Lol

An order for the new sizes has already been placed at original 65% off price. Well, that was quick.

Versace, Moschino, Coogi, Burberry, Lacoste, Mitchell & Ness jersey's, Ecko, Fubu, Rocawear, etc.

If dudes were popping those Iceberg orange labels, you were late to Iceberg haha.

I love how people's collections look like this: item 1 from Polo 1992, item 2 from Polo 2002, item 3-6 Polo 2010-2013 "I'M A LO-HEAD"
yo jay it's crazy cause I just had this convo![emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji]the "pologate" if you will flooded out the rats that will be off the next hot **** at the moment.
You really can't put Lacoste In that mix cause it's been here like Lo it just split from izod(true school heads still call Lacoste Izod but will never call Izod Lacoste! Go fig. Lol) in the mid to late 90's

It's hard to pinpoint the year on this RL beacon print. Although, It's very similar to the Woolrich wool print jackets from the mid '90's.

Thanks Muddy. I honestly couldn't tell you the year, but I do know that RL had miles of this wool print. It was used on men's and women's coats, vests, hats, a poncho, and I think there was a wallet too.

Here is the blue label vest

Jay , BIP, or Krash may be able to shed some light.
jay is right about the woolritch connection but the years was 89-91 Ralph was not the only one. Everybody was all over that print.there was many outdoor company's like Patagonia ,Columba ect . One year everybody did the same wool barn coat but woolritch gets the shine for that one. The off white/cream with the wide red-yellow-green stripes. By the by SMB I thought them boots was a new versoin not the sport. Clean always

Last edited:
I would like to know what specifically "the worst "polos" that you've ever seen" that were posted. I don't remember a lot of "polos" on the pages before your comment.

You are definitely entitled to your own oppinion. It's an open discussion so please do elaborate. Your experience with textiles, manufacturing, and years ofexperience in the fashion industry may help a few of us out.

Please understand that this thread is about Ralph Lauren...the entire umbrella. There's much more to the brand than what's on the the racks at your local dept stores.
Those feels.

sounds like you weren't even into Polo, Polo Sport if all you can mention are the color blocking Polo Sport pieces. "Looking back" is all you can do now, because the way you talk about these labels you are learning of them over the internet.
no hate but that sounds just about right.

Middy, I have or had all of those mentioned. I wish I had more of the flag knit beanies since I only have the green, but now ninjas want to pay like $200 for a beanie nowadays because they think that's acceptable. no thanks, i'm good. Only a few will know the list of items you mentioned, everyone else will try to google or run to ebay to look for references lmao
why pay full price for any of it. Lol @ the google squad.

I believe Polo Sport was introduced early as '91 but didn't get it's own label until '93. Some stuff were produced under both blue label and polo sport label, it's like RL was confused themselves which label should've been used. Eventually, Polo Sport got branded out as they produced RLX. As RLX evolved, it became essentially the "Polo Sport" but the label was discontinued.
you are correct on all counts jay

you good sir are one classy motherf***er!

I believe Polo Sport was introduced early as '91 but didn't get it's own label until '93. Some stuff were produced under both blue label and polo sport label, it's like RL was confused themselves which label should've been used. Eventually, Polo Sport got branded out as they produced RLX. As RLX evolved, it became essentially the "Polo Sport" but the label was discontinued.

RLX was birth out of Polo Sport, but they eventually had two separate lines for a while before Polo Sport completely was discontinued. Polo Sport also included the Polo Sportsman line, which was clearly was devoted to outdoor activities such as fishing, hiking, hunting ...etc.

Part of me believes that RL2000 became RLX, if you notice RL2000 dealt with a lot of active sports apparel such as running, skiing, tennis, golf...everything I owned from that line involved an aspect of the sports listed above me and more.

Then there's Polo Hi Tech / Polo Sport under the blue label, (one of my favorites) a very technical savvy apparel dealing in all active gear, from running fishing, skiing, hiking, golf, pretty much most active sports and outdoors activities (snowboarding / Snowbeach)
There so many was you can look at.

Droski and Frank thanks for the sale info.

Krash, Jay, Middy thanks for the info.

Stuntman and Pirate nice pics.

Legend nice tower. Whats in boxes 3-6?

Droski and Frank thanks for the sale info.

Krash, Jay, Middy thanks for the info.

Stuntman and Pirate nice pics.

Legend nice tower. Whats in boxes 3-6?

box 3 is like 600 $ worth of crewnecks and v necks. Box 4 is house wares , might have copped a skull. Box 5 is 6 pair of rigids slim, lows, straight, and a pair of bootcuts. 6 a bathrobe, underwear, socks.

let me state , before I went full rrl I used to really gets it in with blue label. Im goinig to start posting ALOT more pics seeing as I got everything in 1 state now .

something I found while moving lol. Any takers ?

I've never liked the RRL canvas bags that were take-downs of the full leather ones.

My final two items finally arrived a week after everything else.

Clyde indigo dyed chinos (which turned out to be selvedge) and the ironworker belt.

And some Rugby items in storage

Limited edition cardigan and a limited edition made in USA wool blanket.

True bip. Infact I managed to snag one of my favourite knits off of ebay recently (for a good price too), and its a Polo Sport piece. I call it 'The Deliverance' knit haha:

Canoe knit is cool. I appreciate a lot of the under the radar stuff as well as the items everybody knows. There's a scarf for that too.

Well said BIP, when the Polo Sport label was introduced in 93 it still carried a lot of blue label ideals, for instance I have a "polo sport" jacket from 93 that was also created under the blue label, only mine had the all black rubber polo sport patch and the blue label has an hi tech patch, also my jacket being all black has RL2000 buttons, go figure. Under the polo sport line included a new tennis, golf...etc lines, the tennis was actually really dope. In retrospect polo sport had a lot of dope pieces, especially my fave the red satin script jacket (so classic). Then there's the Polo Sport Sportsman line which had a lot of great graphics and technical sportsman apparel.

As so here goes my list of top favorite pieces from the polo sport / polo sport sportsman lines, in no particular order

1. Satin Red Polo Script Varsity jacket
2. Navy or White USA fleece Jacket and other USA fleeces or hoodies
3. All print Surfer tee
4. All print Polo sportsman button down (one were the man and the canoe in from and back)
5. The classic flip spell out flag winter hat
6. The flag knit hat (black, red, and green from 97') still mad I lost mine at the mall.
7. 96 yacht sailing line
8. All print ski man button down (I'm guessing 97')

I could go on, but some of y'all will get the point.

All good choices. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the surfer tee. But, I'm not going to pick nits.

Too many other pieces to add.

'96 Yacht sailing line is bananas - it would get more love if items from it popped up more often.

1. Iceberg
2. Avirex
5. Prada boat sneakers

Funny - we were just talking about that LIC Avirex outlet today.

Other adds -
Tommy and Nautica were on their way out, but still overlapped here a bit.
Like Polo, North Face was past its prime for most of this period, but it's peak in popularity came in this era. (No, dude, for the millionth time, you can't find this color in the stores anymore, :lol:)
Fendi - some of those box "F" pattern sweaters were crack!
Jeff Hamilton leathers - the higher end version of "those Daytona 500 jackets - as well as the maker of those NBA patch jackets
Spyder - some of those Tommy Moes are still fire
Guess
Helly Hansen
DKNY
...basically anything else that was mentioned Q-Tip's Drink Away the Pain verse that I may have forgotten. :lol:

And, yes, Jay - no orange label Berg - that was the era when they opened to Iceberg/Laundry outlet at Woodberry. ...Earlier gen Fantasia knits all day though!

i actually only want Polo with tennis graphics on them...

just focusing on the sport of tennis...

so dope!

i have some Polo Golf joints im thinking about knocking off on the bay soon btw...

but Polo Tennis graphics were too ill...

dont matter which year

:smokin

So much ill tennis stuff. I'm itching to post stuff from the '96 tennis line, but I'm still missing a few pieces I want, and I don't want to come halfway. ...No 88 Keys

RLX was birth out of Polo Sport, but they eventually had two separate lines for a while before Polo Sport completely was discontinued. Polo Sport also included the Polo Sportsman line, which was clearly was devoted to outdoor activities such as fishing, hiking, hunting ...etc.

Part of me believes that RL2000 became RLX, if you notice RL2000 dealt with a lot of active sports apparel such as running, skiing, tennis, golf...everything I owned from that line involved an aspect of the sports listed above me and more.

Then there's Polo Hi Tech / Polo Sport under the blue label, (one of my favorites) a very technical savvy apparel dealing in all active gear, from running fishing, skiing, hiking, golf, pretty much most active sports and outdoors activities (snowboarding / Snowbeach)
There so many was you can look at.

I wasn't even totally thinking of the Polo Sport Sportsman line when I was thinking PS, but if you include that stuff, the list of gems is huge!

...Right now, I'm buggin out just thinking about the number of RL different labels (like actual inner tags) there have been.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom