THE OFFICIAL SAN JOSE SHARKS SEASON THREAD!! PLAYOFFS VS CHICAGO WCF series 0-1

Originally Posted by FRANCHISE 55

Originally Posted by UCLAMIKE

so what the hell was the tech for?
It was the refs desperation shot at covering the 6.5.
I don't even think about the 6.5. If they wanted, they would have made it cover 6.5 with more calls throughout the game. To be honest, there's so much betting with the halftime lines, the quarter lines, prop bets, etc and etc.

But like I said earlier... Mafia?
nerd.gif

Yeah, I know. I'm kidding for the most part, but there are calls while flipping through League Pass where you can't help but think something is fishy. I remember one time the game was over, but the score was one point away from pushing the point spread and they called a defensive three seconds while the other team was just dribbling out the clock.

Glad to see it's being openly discussed:

Oracle's Larry Ellison says he's trying to buy the Golden State Warriors

Oracle CEO Larry Ellison confirmed on Wednesday that he wants to buy the Golden State Warriors from owner Chris Cohan.

"I'm trying, I'm trying," Ellison said, in response to an audience member's question during a public event at Oracle headquarters. "Unfortunately, you can't have a hostile takeover of a basketball team."

The struggling Warriors fell to 13-30 after Tuesday night's loss in Sacramento.

Bay Area News Group first reported that Ellison was trying to purchase the team from Cohan.

Ellison's corporation announced Wednesday that it has finalized its $7.4 billion acquisition of Sun Microsystems.

Originally Posted by LazyJ10

Glad to see it's being openly discussed:

Oracle's Larry Ellison says he's trying to buy the Golden State Warriors

Oracle CEO Larry Ellison confirmed on Wednesday that he wants to buy the Golden State Warriors from owner Chris Cohan.

"I'm trying, I'm trying," Ellison said, in response to an audience member's question during a public event at Oracle headquarters. "Unfortunately, you can't have a hostile takeover of a basketball team."

The struggling Warriors fell to 13-30 after Tuesday night's loss in Sacramento.

Bay Area News Group first reported that Ellison was trying to purchase the team from Cohan.

Ellison's corporation announced Wednesday that it has finalized its $7.4 billion acquisition of Sun Microsystems.

a follow up:
[h1]http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/64313/20100127/warriors_may_be_for_sale_again/[/h1]
[h1]Warriors May Be For Sale Again[/h1]
Jan 27, 2010 4:58 PM EST

Ellis_Monta_gsw.jpg
Ric Bucher of ESPN writes on his Twitter page that the Warriors may be put up for sale once again.

"For my Ws' tweeps: multiple front offices say Ws are looking tomove anybody to save $. Raising speculation team could be for sale,"Bucher wrote on his Twitter page.

Via Twitter (Ric Bucher)

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/64313/20100127/warriors_may_be_for_sale_again/#

[h2]Ellison confirms he’s trying to buy the Warriors (Cohan confirms he’s still a ghost)[/h2]
News out of the Oracle complex in Redwood Shores: Larry Ellison publicly confirmed today that he is trying to buy the Warriors.

So far, Ellison hasn’t gotten it done–Chris Cohan has not decided tosell his 80% stake in the Warriors, whether he’s just playing hard toget or really, really wants to keep the team.

But Ellison wants the Warriors. Officially.

This is not earth-shattering, but it’s the first time Ellison has addressed the issue. Rather directly, I’d say.

By the way: A quick thanks to MarketWatch, which acknowledged my July report that Cohan had serious talks with Ellison,and yes, I’d have to believe that’s one of the few times I’ve ever beenreferenced prominently on such a significant business website.

Let’s go over the Ellison/Cohan timetable that we know:

-Last summer, word began to bubble out that Cohan was preparing to sell, or at least heavily considering it.

That was all possibly tied to the long IRS case against him (comingto a conclusion?), dwindling ticket sales (worse now) and general fandisgust with his ownership tenure.

-One sports executive with broad ownership ties said then that Cohanhad met with one buyer and had very serious negotiations–everythingagreed to except the sales price (which admittedly is a huge thing).

I also reported that it was highly likely that Cohan would sell hiscontrolling stake within two years. That report was debunked by teampresident Robert Rowell.

But if Cohan’s absolutely not selling, why did he meet and have negotiations with a serious bidder? For fun?

-Later, it became clear that Ellison was that potential buyer, withvarious reports that Cohan was asking that the team be valued at $400M,which is much higher than the generally assumed worth, especially inthis recession.

-There are many other potential buyers for the Warriors, if they werefor sale, including the four minority investors who combine to own 20%of the team.

But it has always been clear that nobody could match Ellison in abidding war, and presumably there is nobody–even Ellison–at this pointwilling to come anywhere close to a $400M valuing of the franchise.

-Ticket sales are not going well this season. There are variousreports about Cohan having money troubles, and possibly getting readyto order a fire sale of talent to reduce the payroll.

I have not specifically heard that, but around the league, there’sserious question about Cohan’s ability or desire to maintain a normalpayroll much longer.

-I’ve heard rumblings that Ellison ideally would like to move theWarriors to a new arena in San Francisco, but the team still has manyyears left on its deal in Oakland.

-Ellison attended his first Warriors game at the arena that bears his company’s name earlier this month.

-After the game, Ellison apparently chatted with various Warriorsbig wigs, but also several sources emphasized that the Warriors werenot for sale.

At this time.

Back
Top Bottom