The Official Tennis Thread (Vol. 2024 French Open)

O ok thanks hopefully i can go to new york next year to watch the open
May be the last US Open that Fed plays at, so I'll be there too.

laugh.gif

I think Rafa can still get back to the Roland Garros final, though he might have to be on the opposite side of Djokovic for that to happen.

It's going to be tough for Federer to win the US Open again once the roof is finished. Once it's complete, I think Nole will become as dominate at Flushing Meadows as he has been in Melbourne. I can't see Roger winning the French again, so Wimbledon will be his only shot of winning another Grand Slam, IMO.

I don't know about calling him GOAT, but Nole should be mentioned with the all-time greats at least. He really doesn't get the respect he deserves. To me, he's the perfect example of how someone can achieve great things by working hard.

Last edited:
@JoeClear

Congrats to your boy. Much deserved and as @illmaticsoulchild
and I said before, he's definitely in the convo for GOAT when his career is all done.

The sad part is that we'll just keep getting Fed/Djoko finals when these other dudes should be stepping it up. Stan and them, I'm looking at you.

Stan has homie :lol: you need to be looking at Berdych, Raonic, Dmitrov, etc

Think next year Dolgo wins Aussie open. Coric will make a big move too

I don't know about calling him GOAT, but Nole should be mentioned with the all-time greats at least. He really doesn't get the respect he deserves. To me, he's the perfect example of how someone can achieve great things from hard work.
Don't get me started on this debate... 
laugh.gif

Don't get me started on this debate... 
laugh.gif
What debate? Djoko will definitely be in the convo when his career is done.

He's matured a lot, improved his play, went gluten-free, and has the champion mentality. Tennis is at a really interesting point, but I don't see these other young dudes challenging him.

I get that a lot of people dislike him because of his attitude earlier in his career, and I think that's completely fair. When his career is all said and done, I think people will begin respect his game and what he has accomplished more (just think... if it weren't for Stan, we'd be talking about Nole getting a Calendar Slam). A handful of people in this thread have pretty much stated that they feel that way about him now, so I expect people will begin to appreciate him even more when his career comes closer to an end.

Last edited:
laugh.gif
 No, I meant the general "GOAT" debate...  

I definitely do think Nole is up there with being one of the greats... dude's got double-digit Slam titles now... elite club. 

novak is playing an aging federer, he should win. Reminds me of the late 80s pistons, taking advantage of aging, past their prime stars. He's good, but nowhere near goat status. Prime vs prime, Novak has no chance.

IMO, Federer's mental frailty and stubbornness is the reason he isn't at 20+.

Roger never had that junk yard dog mentality that a guy like Kobe, Jordan or Tiger have. On talent alone there is no reason for Roger's head to head with Rafa should be as one sided. When I think of an athlete that I consider a frontrunner I think of Roger or Lebron.

Last edited:
Roger never had that junk yard dog mentality that a guy like Kobe, Jordan or Tiger have. On talent alone there is no reason for Roger's head to head with Rafa to be as one sided. When I think of an athlete that I consider a frontrunner I think of Roger or Lebron.
Well said. So many matches against Novak and Rafa where his unforced errors were through the roof. Tons of break points left on the table and shaky forehands (and once that goes, game over).

And for the love of all that's holy, would it have killed him to step inside the baseline on Rafa's second serve at the French Open?

Well said. So many matches against Novak and Rafa where his unforced errors were through the roof. Tons of break points left on the table and shaky forehands (and once that goes, game over).

And for the love of all that's holy, would it have killed him to step inside the baseline on Rafa's second serve at the French Open?

I still think about that French Open where Roger let a missed shot keep him from taking the first set from Rafa. He simply imploded mentally.

I can't believe Alves still works as a chair umpire after that 04 US Open and the horrendous call in the Serena/Capriati match. At least we got shot spot after that.

Anyone think Fed has a shot at 1 last GS still? It really is Novack's era. Still hate the guy though.

Last edited:
It really depends on the draw for Roger at this stage. If he can avoid having to play Nole, Murray or Rafa until the finals or can avoid having to play either of those guys in a back to back Semi and Finals situation, he has the talent to get one more.

Flavia looking good.

Eva looking good too. Is she the one who serena was hating on a few years ago?

Missed virtually all of this years Open but not too bummed about it. Nole wins again and an up to now almost unknown (outside the tennis world) Italian wins and retires (flash backs to Bartoli). Masters in London next for me - tickets in the bag already.

Eva looking good too. Is she the one who serena was hating on a few years ago?
Yep, that was her.  But it should be noted that it was a case of mistaken identity.  Serena though Eva for Louise Engzell, who was the chair umpire in the 2009 "foot fault" match.  

I wonder if that old, Asian lady who was the line judge gets shook whenever she sees serena.

Back
Top Bottom