The Official The-Dream "Love King" Album Discussion Thread

Damn...

smh.gif

I'm goin pick up an OFFICIAL copy sometime this week...

Hopefully it ends up being like Love/Hate and just stays consistantly puttin up decent #s without debuting so high...

This TRULY is a GREAT album...

Originally Posted by illfrozn

Originally Posted by DiPlOMaT007

dam shame t 60k .Im going to buy the album , did anyone buy the real album here ?
Yeah, picked up deluxe version on RD ...
Same. The packaging on the deluxe version is
pimp.gif
.  Haven't stopped playing this since it went in the disk changer on Tuesday.
smokin.gif
smokin.gif
smokin.gif

60k...damn.

That weak !!@ "Love King" single is to blame.
"Turnt Out" needs to be released as a single, STAT.

yall actually feelin This guy?

every song sounds the same. i downloaded love vs money and the only good songs were:

rockin that !%%# and walkin on the moon.

just downloaded this and every song sounds the same. its annoying.
only song im feelin here is:

makeup bag

Florida University (one of the best)

FILA

Sorry

thats it.

Originally Posted by DiPlOMaT007

dam shame t 60k .Im going to buy the album , did anyone buy the real album here ?
6e1xyu.jpg

And no, I didn't pay 16.99.
laugh.gif

Copped on RD. But I rarely open cd's that I've already downloaded.

Originally Posted by balloonoboy

60k...damn.

That weak !!@ "Love King" single is to blame.
"Turnt Out" needs to be released as a single, STAT.
I agree with all 3 statements.

I never listen to the first 2 tracks. I always start at F.I.L.A.

Love King and Make Up Bag were poor choices as singles, honestly.

Turnt Out definitely needs to be released as a single

Originally Posted by GaryOak

yall actually feelin This guy?

every song sounds the same. i downloaded love vs money and the only good songs were:

rockin that !%%# and walkin on the moon.

just downloaded this and every song sounds the same. its annoying.
only song im feelin here is:

makeup bag

Florida University (one of the best)

FILA

Sorry

thats it.
If that's all you're feeling on LvM, then Dream isn't for you ...

Originally Posted by Harlem On The Rise

This is the album I was REALLY anticipatin... He set the bar pretty high with the first 2, so he had A LOT to live up to with this joint...

Never really good to see an artist's album leak, but in nthis case I was basically wakin up every morning and checking Google to see if he sprung a leak earlier than the norm... Plus the fact that Drake %$+$ leaked about a week earlier, it kind of set the pace for everything else leakin...

Dream had A LOT to live up to with Love King, coming off of 2 stellar albums the anticipation for this joint was as high as its ever been for him. But with all the pressure would he be able to deliver... Is Love King gonna be enuff to STOP me from listenin to TML??
Spoiler [+]
Love King
Wasn't the biggest fan of this joint when it first dropped, but I also tried to steer clear of it cause I knew I was gonna be coppin this album no matter what. It's not the BEST song in the world, but its a pretty effective, and follows the trends of his past 1st singles from the previous 2 albums. Beat is DOPE, the hook is a lil suspect tho, I will say tho, the song has grown on me slightly.
3.75/5

Make Up Bag
Another joint that leaked a few weeks back, gave it ONE spin back then, was deffinetly feelin it, but I didn't wanna ruin the expereicne of the album by gettin hooked on one song before the whole thing arrived. This joint is nice, kinda in the vein of "I Luv Ya Girl", except its talkin about spendin an unnecessary amounts of money on a make up bag for your chick... I guess it ain't trickin if you got it, and who better to jump on the track than fellow ATLien & Mr You Can Have Whatever You Like himself, TI who comes thru with a SOLID verse... Nothing world changin, but dope none the less
4.25/5

F.I.L.A.
I know I wasn't the ONLY one that thought about that Trillville song when seein this title... I was almost sure this would be an ode to the AIDS infested city of Atlanta... Needless to say, this was one of the rare occasions where I was wrong. This joint is nice tho, has a good feeling to it, and deffinetly goes hard in the whip. The more I listen to this song, the BETTER it gets... This may very well be the his most underrated song... On THIS album atleast...
4.25/5
4.5/5

Sex Intelligent
THAT's what I'm talkin about... This joint is CRACK. Deffinetly a joint that will be on repeat in the future, beat is just DANGEROUS, and its just on some fly playa %$+$, and that's the type of life I lead
glasses.gif
... The beat switch on the Taliban line
eek.gif
pimp.gif
... Yea this %$+$ is HARD.
4.75/5

Sex Intelligent (Remix)
Usually if somethin isn't BROKE, you're not supposed to try and fix it... Dream never got that memo, he reworks the ALREADY dope track... He doesn't quite eclipse the level of EPICness of the first, but he comes damn close...  6/7/2011...
smokin.gif

4.5/5

Yamaha
This is a lil different than the other tracks, but it has the vibe of a "Fast Car"/"Walkin On The Moon"... On some new age Prince type %$+$... Not goin front, I wasn't the biggest fan of this song after the first few listens, but as I continue to listen to the album it is SLOWLY growing on me... Its by no means a bad song, just a lil different. This joint has REALLY grown on me, after about a good 30-40 listens... I think I FINALLY sound the genuis in this record.
3.75/5
4.25/5

Nikki Pt 2
As soon as I saw the title I was wondering how HARD the beat was goin be... I guess we'll NEVER know cause the sequel takes on a different type of vibe, not a bad thing by ANY means. Not better than the OG, but the story is interesting and keeps you tied into the track. The simple fact that this is the sequal to ONE of his BEST songs and doesn't quite reach the bar previously set is the ONLY real thing holdin this song down, other than that its AMAZING... Could've been longer tho....
4/5
4.25/5

Abyss
The transition between these 2 songs is AS good as that between "Love Vs Money" 1&2. Here Dream sounds a lil angry on this joint, makes me thing of my gold diggin *$% ex... Maybe I should get on the jack and puet her heart in its place... Ummmm THIS song is AMAZING.
4.75/5
5/5

Panties To The Side
More of a club joint... The intro to the joint is CLASSIC... "Lemme $**@ You Girl...", this has the feel of a song that could potentially be a hit, I can deffinetly see myself dancin on a couch to this joint (That's usually how I rate club records). I like how he separates himself from his peers with the bridge of this joint...
4.25/5

Turnt Out
He gets his falsetto on, for this joint... I'll be the first to admit he isnt the best vocalist in the world, but obviously having the talent to write a record helps one tell the difference between a good idea and a bad one. This joint is just extra smooth, laid back relaxed type %$+$. This is another AMAZING track...
4.25/5
4.75/5

February Love
Kind of starts like "Fancy" with the piano and %$+$ in the background, and its more or less in the same vein... This joint is just absolutely BEAUTIFUL... I didn't think he would EVER be able to top "Fancy" cause thats one of the BEST songs EVER... But this comes DAMN close... I've been just zonin to this joint, its just AMAZING... Then he just BODIES the last verse, and just further adds to an already AMAZING song...
5/5

Florida University
laugh.gif
... This song is kind of stupid, but brilliant @ the same time (in a Lil Wayne type of way)... the "A-Hole" line was so elementary but hilarious @ the same time... This is a fun song so I'm not gonna really put to much weight on this joint, @ the end of the day its a pretty good song.
3.5/5

Veteran

This is more or less the Love King version of "Mr Yeah"... NOT the BEST song in the world, but its not the worst... But to be honest I could've lived without it...

3.25/5

Priceless

This joint is on ANOTHER level, deffinetly an early fav on the album so far. The beat is AMAZING, and lyrically speaking this is prolly the BEST song on the album... This definitely lived up to the expectations I had for the album

5/5

Take Care Of Me

My expectations for this joint were through the roof after Dream claimed it was BETTER than "Fancy"... Well he was deffinetly lying, but this is STILL an AMAZING track none the less...

4.5/5

All Black Everything

This is a VERY good song, but to be honest I don't think it really belonged on the album...

4/5
4.25/5

Sorry

The BEST way to describe this track... Is he apologizing for this song being SOO lackluster?? Or is he REALLY retitring... Only time will tell...

3.5/5

The Verdict:

I've given the album somewhere between 15-20 SOLID spins in different enviornments (the whip, the bedroom, during a smoke session etc), and the album sounds just as good with each listen as it does the first time... The production is as good as its EVER been, and his songwriting is a strong as its EVER been thus far in his career... But Its not just one big love-fest, I do have my gripes...

The album is a lil bloated with 17 tracks (on the Deluxe Edition atleast), I think it could've been trimmed down to 12-14 tracks... I could've lived without "Florida University", "Veteran", "Sorry" & "All Black Everything", I don't know if it was the pressure that got to him, or if he just felt like all 17 tracks were GOOD enuff to be on the album... I will say tho it does feature some of his best work to date... "Sex Intelligent", "Feb-Love", "Priceless", "Take Care Of Me" so it kind of balances it out in a way... 

The cohesiveness of the album is GREAT in most cases, the tranisition between Sex Intelligent & the remix is GOLD... Also the transition between Nikki 2 & Abyss, but as the album gets towards the end its not AS good... Priceless & Take Care Of Me are both AMAZING, but the others kind of hurt the overall product... It starts off VERY strong, but wanes off towards the end...

Standout Tracks:

Makeup Bag

Sex Intelligent

Abyss

February Love

Priceless

Take Care Of Me

Overall:

4.25/5
4.5/5

in the "r&B" world IMO theres only 2 names to mention beside Maxwell...and that is Raheem Devaughn and The Dream both of which do not get their well deserved due.

It's hard to rank the dream cause every album can stand on its own...the way he perfectly blends one track to other thinking you're still listening to the same song...the climaxes on certain tracks and melodies...if you dont like his music then you need to rethink listening to music all together.

He can get deep (Take care of me, right side of brain) to outright ignorant (F.U. University) yet he delivers.

don't know what you guys expected, dude didn't have any promotions or hits and not to mention, his personality and presence is corny...dude just seems like a @%!$.

STILL listenin to the album...

Keeps gettin BETTER...

Only songs I still don't really care for are: "Veteran" & "Sorry"

Priceless and Turned Out are my favorites, I play the whole album on a daily basis though

Back
Top Bottom