The Official Wimbledon Thread vol.. Fed v. Rafa

Originally Posted by shogun

I hope today it's more than just them trading points on serve for a few hours.
I'm thinking it'll be quite anticlimactic.  All it takes is for one player to have a slow start and thats the end of it.  Really, 1 break is all it takes.  I certainly hope that doesn't happen.  

Straight sets for Andy Murray in the warm up game before Isner / Mahut........still needs to improve though should have been more convincing

Some awkward chat for both players after the game with the Queen

And is starting this game at 3:30pm a good idea? It only gives them around 7 hrs of playing time to finish......

I wonder if this match will force Wimbledon to change their sudden death format.

But yea it doesn't look like either is breaking the other ANY time soon.

Originally Posted by balloonoboy

I wonder if this match will force Wimbledon to change their sudden death format.
I don't think so.  And its not just Wimbledon (which got rid of the final-set tiebreak in the 70's), the French Open and the Aussie Open both don't have tie breaks in the final set.  The US Open is the only GS.  Furthermore, how often does this happen?  The last time there was a long 5th set (as far as I can remember) ended at something like 24-22.  Bottomline, it doesn't happen often enough to justify make changes.  

Isner FTW!

Mahut was damn good out there.
glasses.gif

One for the books...

47e47211adb7437cf4eb066aab7cd46e-getty-98861833th255_the_champions.jpg

de94519b19ba35f2ad3eb3dd572f27d9-getty-98861833th258_the_champions.jpg

Johnny Mac going with the fitted+suit look at this historic match.  
a39bf86560bb69bb0919d831c4cf982f-getty-98861833mh030_the_champions.jpg

Surprised? I kinda figured it would be a quick exit for him after that match.

Nadal went to 5 sets yesterday and I didn't hear a peep from anyone
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by khoshabasfinest23

Originally Posted by YoungBuck32

This match should be used as the prime example why there shouldn't be equal pay among men & women at grand slams...

Oh yeah the rise of the tall servers without any return game is going to be the death of tennis. No way should Mahut have that many aces and holding serve that easily for this long.

you got that right on equal pay. This match is now over 10 hours which is more on court time than it took Serena to win her Wimbledon title last year. I will never understand how anyone thinks their pay should be equal to mens. Best of 3 sets
laugh.gif
Makes more sense for pay to be based on how much $$ they bring in.......don't think women bring in as much these days but before the rise of Federer and Nadal I'm pretty sure there was a time when the Williams sisters in their primes and other players made the WTA more popular.

Originally Posted by Proshares

Surprised? I kinda figured it would be a quick exit for him after that match.

Nadal went to 5 sets yesterday and I didn't hear a peep from anyone
laugh.gif
Yeah, this Wimbledon thread's gotten pretty slow.  I watched the Nadal match but didn't bother coming in here cuz I was probably the only one in the room 
ohwell.gif
.  But to be fair, Hasse played very well during the first 3 sets, playing very aggressively and really taking it to Nadal.  Nadal really stepped up his game in the final 2 sets and actually cruised to the finish... Hasse had nothing left.  
Anyway, leave it up to Nike to capitalize on the performance of their athletes.  

ept_sports_ten_experts-388694269-1277476125.jpg

550_Isner-%20Marathon.jpg

Anyway, here are the stats from his 2nd round match... clearly he was done.

ept_sports_ten_experts-454954607-1277474731.jpg

This doesn't help.
sick.gif

I don't care how well your shoes fit or how comfortable they are, after 11 hours you're gonna get a few blisters.

ept_sports_ten_experts-986774602-1277475735.jpg

After watching Serena's match this morning and seeing Tim Henman I've come to the conclusion that Tim really overachieved all those years at Wimbledon. I use to think dude was a choker and just couldn't handle the pressure of representing the UK at Wimbledon but looking at his results in majors other than Wimbledon he really played above his ability.

This Lu kid... really taking it to Roddick. No TV coverage for me... Wimbledon Livescore... oh well.

Oh Sinner, I was talking about in the meda
laugh.gif

I didn't hear them say anything about Rafa's issues until this weekend.

I thought Melzer would put up a better figght. Murray looking the best outta the top 5 so far...if A-Rod doesn't win it I hope Murray wins it for the sake of England not collectively jumping off buildings
laugh.gif

^ Oh I see.
laugh.gif

But I think Rafa only just mentioned his knee issues... he said that he didn't want to use it as an excuse.
EDIT ~ And he's done it!  Lu takes out Roddick in 5!  
eek.gif

Back
Top Bottom