The Oscars: 2024's 96th Academy Awards, 7:00pm March 10th ABC

One thing I just thought about is that they both are pros, and comedy and acting go hand in hand. Taking it personally means you stepped over the boundaries and it has become “real”, so now the acting and comedy have lost its meaning. :smh:.

If this was a family bbq or some personal event it seems Will would be justified to slap Chris, but the world saw this.

Still either way it sucks for both Will and Chris. Will be seen as the guy who has a hidden explosive temper and Chris eating a hard slap that’ll make him change the quality of some of his jokes, especially something about a persons health. Chris is definitely shaken up. Feel bad for both of ‘em.

Look at you… caring about sterotypes…. “Made us all look bad”

Who CARES what them people think? Some y’all want to be accepted so bad. You might as well buy a shine box and get your spit shining skills up.

Newsflash, a lot of us DGAF about pleasing them people. We are comfortable being our AUTHENTIC self.

Will showed last night why he’s so respected. That man has always done great community service. He’s entitled to hood court and put down on someone if need be!
No disrespect but I didn't read past the first line. Not interested in arguing about this anymore. We all have our own opinions on it... The next part isn't directed at you so no need to respond brother.

On another note, I find it interesting that people were calling the lbgt community snowflakes for their reactions to Dave Chappelle's last Netflix stand up with many people saying saying things like "it's just comedy" "people need to kearn how to take a joke" "cancel culture is the worst" etc. But Will assaults a dude for a throwaway joke and it's justifiable.. as black men we're way too cool with violence towards one another. I'm sure if Will had done this to a host that was either gay, white, asian, or female this backlash would have been 10x worse. But since it was a fellow black man it's all good.

Interesting to see people's reactions to this. I'm over it now though. Enjoy your week fellas

I guess I'm the only one who doesn't care 🤷‍♂️

I think it wasn't Chris, it was Jada and how she has publicly emasculated dude for the past couple of years and all of that built up

Will was like, you want Tupac :lol:

He had better gotten some yams last night

"I ain't a thug, how much Tupac in you you got?" - Dre

This lyric must've been playing in Will's head when he looked at Jada after the joke

punch-kevin-hart.gif

I think it wasn't Chris, it was Jada and how she has publicly emasculated dude for the past couple of years and all of that built up

The same can be said about Will disrespecting Jada when he was publicly about his affairs and “crushes” of other women.

Can’t wait to see Chris Rock ‘sitting’ at the Red Table soon!!! Insert promo drop. *yawn*

If it wasnt staged I dont understand Chris just standing there when Will was walking towards him. What did he expect was gonna happen? And from that angle it doesnt even seem Chris was looking at him. Wtf
He’s on live tv. I mean, what would you do in that situation? He was looking away bc he was scared. That’s a typical human response.

If he didn’t better believe he watch somebody else do it for him

Comedians get a long leash on what they say but taking a shot at a woman who has openly struggled with her condition and is openly conscious about her lack of hair is crossing a line. Being a comedian doesn't mean to get a free pass to be as disrespectful to anyone as you want. Will could have handled it better but I understand his reaction. Words have consequences, even for a comedian.

I made a point earlier about me not looking forward to seeing the image of two brothers getting into it being blasted everywhere. That is understandable. I don't look forward to the upcoming and unfair nastiness.

so i think we basically agree.

But how I read your post, I think you went beyond that point to argue some 'better act right so white people won't judge the community' type steez.

You, and millions of others saw multiple black people act right tonight. If someone forms a negative opinion based on Will Smith's actions, one person, they were not interested in giving a fair chance anyway. And put the blame for that on the black people, even Will, then you are asking for perfection. That was the context of Pablo's objection.

do i personally think "we should act right so white people don't judge us?"

no,
but if a black person thinks that, and as a results sets high standards of public conduct.
tbh I still think it's good,

in the same way I don't believe in religion
but religious instincts can be applied towards positive ends.

now when it used as like a cudgel for intra black class warfare
so black people to abuse and demean other black people
to me that's respectability politics.

that's the difference between Cosby and obama pull up your pants for example.

Yeah it was definitely the build up of all the jokes since the August thing. If you followed him on IG like I did, he'd often respond to random comments on his page that were pertaining to his relationship with Jada and try to put a positive spin on it. It's only so long one can pretend to be unbothered.

Back
Top Bottom