The Oscars: 2024's 96th Academy Awards, 7:00pm March 10th ABC

Comedians get a long leash on what they say but taking a shot at a woman who has openly struggled with her condition and is openly conscious about her lack of hair is crossing a line. Being a comedian doesn't mean to get a free pass to be as disrespectful to anyone as you want. Will could have handled it better but I understand his reaction. Words have consequences, even for a comedian.
Fair. But from this point on y'all gotta be consistent. Next time a group comes at your favorite comedian over a joke, don't get mad at em.

Comedians get a long leash on what they say but taking a shot at a woman who has openly struggled with her condition and is openly conscious about her lack of hair is crossing a line. Being a comedian doesn't mean to get a free pass to be as disrespectful to anyone as you want. Will could have handled it better but I understand his reaction. Words have consequences, even for a comedian.
It's not crossing the line if you don't know her condition which I'm sure Chris Rock didn't. Most black comedy shows feature the comedian either talking about their own personal problems or going at people in the audience because we're raised on talking ish especially in the south.

Would Will have done this to a Richard Pryor, Dave Chapelle, Eddie Murphy or Redd Fox? I doubt he would because the ghetto would have came out of them and turned that joint into the Source Awards.

It's not crossing the line if you don't know her condition which I'm sure Chris Rock didn't. Most black comedy shows feature the comedian either talking about their own personal problems or going at people in the audience because we're raised on talking ish especially in the south.

Would Will have done this to a Richard Pryor, Dave Chapelle, Eddie Murphy or Redd Fox? I doubt he would because the ghetto would have came out of them and turned that joint into the Source Awards.
There's zero chance that Rock wasn't aware. If he's not, that's still on him for not doing his homework before going there.

Fair. But from this point on y'all gotta be consistent. Next time a group comes at your favorite comedian over a joke, don't get mad at em.
I'm generally not a fan of a comedian going in on any person for their physical appearance. If you can't make jokes on other subjects, find a new line of work. Fat, bald, short, whatever. Just stay off that.

Agreed. Plus, If it was 50 or anyone else that he knew he couldn't pop on without having to exchange blows with, he would have just taken it in side stride. Went at Chris of all people.

That's really my only issue with it. You hit the one person you knew wouldn't hit back.

More importantly, would will have done that to a white comedian? Would he have gone up there and slapped Ricky Gervais? Ellen? Lol

Surprised i haven't seen a gif yet with Chris Rock's face on Jazz getting thrown out the door :rofl:

Nope it's not. Most of us don't spend time watching Red Table Talk.
Yeah my assumption here is that he, like me, just wasn’t aware of her condition. I just don’t think people actually care, or pay attention to Jada like THAT. She’s Will’s wife that has been in a couple movies. She’s not some A-List star.

Willing to assume the joke wouldn’t have been made had he knew. Maybe I’m wrong though.

If it wasnt staged I dont understand Chris just standing there when Will was walking towards him. What did he expect was gonna happen? And from that angle it doesnt even seem Chris was looking at him. Wtf

If you're on live tv, the last thing you expect is for an actor like Will Smith to hit you. It's not like Chris can run away. He's mic'd up in front of millions of people. I really commend Chris for keeping his composure

Would Ellen or Ricky gervais make a comment like that?

Will was real confident turning his back. If I’m slapping someone I can’t turn my back that quick.

Would Ellen or Ricky gervais make a comment like that?

Will was real confident turning his back. If I’m slapping someone I can’t turn my back that quick.
Ricky Gervais would've said something much worse. Dude called all them actors out for being friends with Epstein when he hosted. Mans ain't gaf

Most people didn't know. No one is keeping tabs on Jada Pinkett fam.
Like I said, that's on him for not doing his homework then. Either way, what he said was cross the line. Intentionally or not, it's still a flagrant 2.

(Flame suit on)

Using “how dare you, she has a medical condition” as an excuse when said condition is hair loss is pretty ridiculous. Especially when you consider she’s had short (shaved head) in past before alopecia and looks better than most women with hair anyways.

Whatever. I pray for her hair to grow back. Poor thing.

Back
Top Bottom