The phenomenon that is RadioShack

dx440.jpg

Originally Posted by AG 47

Originally Posted by oo206oo

Its simple....old people love radio shack.

Theyre scared of megastores like Best Buy etc, so they continue to shop at the local Radio Shack. Once they die off though, its a wrap.

(im just kidding, but in all honesty, there may be some truth to this...)

Originally Posted by MusicalExcellence

thats where older people go for stuff that younger people go to places like best buy for...

thats y its still around... radioshack will see its demise some time in the next 15 years...

laugh.gif

3c2367141b9730c5f066a9930d7ad1b7b0ebf364_r.gif

Originally Posted by AG 47

Originally Posted by oo206oo

Theyre scared of megastores like Best Buy etc, so they continue to shop at the local Radio Shack. Once they die off though, its a wrap.

thats where older people go for stuff that younger people go to places like best buy for...

thats y its still around... radioshack will see its demise some time in the next 15 years...

laugh.gif

3c2367141b9730c5f066a9930d7ad1b7b0ebf364_r.gif

This is how they stay in business:

If you go to a big retailer like Best Buy or anywhere like that, and you're looking for some kind of battery, charger, or any other kind of misc. electronic accessory, chances are they wont have it and what they say is "you might want to check somewhere like RadioShack or somewhere like that."

It's so much easier to just throw customers off to RadioShack than to be searching the store all day or even just leaving them hanging with a "we dont have it." I think that's where a lot of their business comes from.

This is how they stay in business:

If you go to a big retailer like Best Buy or anywhere like that, and you're looking for some kind of battery, charger, or any other kind of misc. electronic accessory, chances are they wont have it and what they say is "you might want to check somewhere like RadioShack or somewhere like that."

It's so much easier to just throw customers off to RadioShack than to be searching the store all day or even just leaving them hanging with a "we dont have it." I think that's where a lot of their business comes from.

Originally Posted by eaalto

Bestbuy is full of overpriced crap...all you can buy is dynex or monster cable....The only thing I have ever purchased from a Radioshack was a Digital Coax cable....Best Buy is just a straight rip off though.  
yea but who buys cables?
laugh.gif
microcenter >

people go to best buy for actual devices/products not cords and cables...

Originally Posted by eaalto

Bestbuy is full of overpriced crap...all you can buy is dynex or monster cable....The only thing I have ever purchased from a Radioshack was a Digital Coax cable....Best Buy is just a straight rip off though.  
yea but who buys cables?
laugh.gif
microcenter >

people go to best buy for actual devices/products not cords and cables...

Somehow I just knew this thread was going to question how radioshack is still in business.
laugh.gif
Where I'm at, they are always on the most random corner. Like there will be a mcdonalds, a pizza joint, a post office, a tattoo parlor, a few banks, a few chinese fast food joints, and then bam, a radioshack...
laugh.gif

Somehow I just knew this thread was going to question how radioshack is still in business.
laugh.gif
Where I'm at, they are always on the most random corner. Like there will be a mcdonalds, a pizza joint, a post office, a tattoo parlor, a few banks, a few chinese fast food joints, and then bam, a radioshack...
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Mr Anleu

i used to have an a/v job and radio shack was the number one source of a lot of our things. i would say on average my company spent $5000 there a month. we would buy everything from batteries, to power point slide changers, to a/v connectors, and more. i think that is a major contributions to how these stores stay open.

This has to be why. But, I go there once every 2 years to get a crazy cable I KNOW they will have.

i used to have an a/v job and radio shack was the number one source of a lot of our things. i would say on average my company spent $5000 there a month. we would buy everything from batteries, to power point slide changers, to a/v connectors, and more. i think that is a major contributions to how these stores stay open.

This has to be why. But, I go there once every 2 years to get a crazy cable I KNOW they will have.

Originally Posted by ninjallamafromhell

I still buy resistors, capacitors, transistors, and so forth from RS when I need them right away.

- the funny thing is thats RS bread and butter but they keep trying to go a different route.

- the RS i worked for was one of the oldest in existence, it even had its own repair shop where if your device gets broken you can take it in for repair. the owner said before RS you just had electronics stores across the US. then radio shack came in and paid them to take it over under their name.

- he said instead of sticking with what works RS has tried to change their company face a few times and failed. he told me about a few but the only one i can think of was once in the 90's when they tried to sell only computers under the name "Computer City".

- older guys would come in our store all the timme pissed off because RS stopped suppling certain resistors, capacitors, etc..  thing is that is the only place to get that stuff without going online. today most often the only thing your radio shack has in the line of resistors and capacitors is in a 5 foot tall cabinet way in the back of the store. the rest of the store is full of phone accesories and retail crap the average moron is too stupid to go buy anywherelse....or just desperate. the store i worked for still had a full back wall of resistors, capacitors, you name it.

- theres a company named Moby that started to take discontinued RS stuff and have Korean companies copy them.......all the way down to the font. the store i worked for sold Moby items. the people were bold too, i mean they didnt even try to hide the fact that they were taking their designs. RS sued them over a few items but as far as i know they havent stopped.      http://www.mobyssuperstore.com/servlet/StoreFront  peep how they sell iGO car chargers. iGO is a registered trademark of Radio Shack
laugh.gif

oo206oo wrote:

- you just dont know how right you are on this......

- the radio shack i worked at could also sell non radio shack items. so our store had (for example) $15 uniden cordless phones for sell alongside the regular radio shack authorized phones. the owner of our store also didnt believe in throwing anything away. so we still had cordless phones from the 80's for sale. YES! im talking about the old cordless phones with the chrome antenna you had to pull up when you made a call.

- we'd have old folks come in and want only those phones. no matter how much better (and cheaper) the uniden was they wanted that radio shack phone because it had "radio shack" on it. and i swear, the old dude i worked for still had those 80's prices on thos phones too ($100+).

- we also still had in-dash 8-track players for the car....no joke.

- older folks also buy hearing impared phones that radio shack has too. kinda like those jitterbug phones, but for the home. with big buttons, bright lights and pictures of people. old folks eat that stuff up, or someone looking for a phone for their elderly parents

Originally Posted by proper english

Originally Posted by JordanHead21

I heard they sell more advanced electronic stuff rather than basic things that best buy/circuit city sells
laugh.gif
 where did you hear this from?.. visit your local RS.. tell me what you see.. dudes are selling radio-controlled robo animals and vtech novelty phones 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

- misinformed.

- have YOU visited your local RS? there are many things BestBuy just doesnt have, and besides RS the only other place to get it is online......

- case and point, when's the last time you seen one of these in a ANY store? (its an inline device you attached to your home phone to record conversations)

f2c2585e5460ddfa44e63abecd4ee6e639ab982.pjpg

- my homeboy had one of these. use to record his wife and ride around listening to her conversations.....

Originally Posted by Dathbgboy

I buy my audio wires from there i.e. S-Video, 3.5mm Stereo extender wires, etc. Prices for some of their $##! is bananas tho. Charge crazy prices for memory cards and HDMI's

- why though? i could understand in a pinch, but with sites like monoprice i dont buy a damn thing from radioshack.....especially after i worked there and seen how much i could get the stuff for online.

Originally Posted by ninjallamafromhell

I still buy resistors, capacitors, transistors, and so forth from RS when I need them right away.

- the funny thing is thats RS bread and butter but they keep trying to go a different route.

- the RS i worked for was one of the oldest in existence, it even had its own repair shop where if your device gets broken you can take it in for repair. the owner said before RS you just had electronics stores across the US. then radio shack came in and paid them to take it over under their name.

- he said instead of sticking with what works RS has tried to change their company face a few times and failed. he told me about a few but the only one i can think of was once in the 90's when they tried to sell only computers under the name "Computer City".

- older guys would come in our store all the timme pissed off because RS stopped suppling certain resistors, capacitors, etc..  thing is that is the only place to get that stuff without going online. today most often the only thing your radio shack has in the line of resistors and capacitors is in a 5 foot tall cabinet way in the back of the store. the rest of the store is full of phone accesories and retail crap the average moron is too stupid to go buy anywherelse....or just desperate. the store i worked for still had a full back wall of resistors, capacitors, you name it.

- theres a company named Moby that started to take discontinued RS stuff and have Korean companies copy them.......all the way down to the font. the store i worked for sold Moby items. the people were bold too, i mean they didnt even try to hide the fact that they were taking their designs. RS sued them over a few items but as far as i know they havent stopped.      http://www.mobyssuperstore.com/servlet/StoreFront  peep how they sell iGO car chargers. iGO is a registered trademark of Radio Shack
laugh.gif

oo206oo wrote:

- you just dont know how right you are on this......

- the radio shack i worked at could also sell non radio shack items. so our store had (for example) $15 uniden cordless phones for sell alongside the regular radio shack authorized phones. the owner of our store also didnt believe in throwing anything away. so we still had cordless phones from the 80's for sale. YES! im talking about the old cordless phones with the chrome antenna you had to pull up when you made a call.

- we'd have old folks come in and want only those phones. no matter how much better (and cheaper) the uniden was they wanted that radio shack phone because it had "radio shack" on it. and i swear, the old dude i worked for still had those 80's prices on thos phones too ($100+).

- we also still had in-dash 8-track players for the car....no joke.

- older folks also buy hearing impared phones that radio shack has too. kinda like those jitterbug phones, but for the home. with big buttons, bright lights and pictures of people. old folks eat that stuff up, or someone looking for a phone for their elderly parents

Originally Posted by proper english

Originally Posted by JordanHead21

I heard they sell more advanced electronic stuff rather than basic things that best buy/circuit city sells
laugh.gif
 where did you hear this from?.. visit your local RS.. tell me what you see.. dudes are selling radio-controlled robo animals and vtech novelty phones 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

- misinformed.

- have YOU visited your local RS? there are many things BestBuy just doesnt have, and besides RS the only other place to get it is online......

- case and point, when's the last time you seen one of these in a ANY store? (its an inline device you attached to your home phone to record conversations)

f2c2585e5460ddfa44e63abecd4ee6e639ab982.pjpg

- my homeboy had one of these. use to record his wife and ride around listening to her conversations.....

Originally Posted by Dathbgboy

I buy my audio wires from there i.e. S-Video, 3.5mm Stereo extender wires, etc. Prices for some of their $##! is bananas tho. Charge crazy prices for memory cards and HDMI's

- why though? i could understand in a pinch, but with sites like monoprice i dont buy a damn thing from radioshack.....especially after i worked there and seen how much i could get the stuff for online.

i used to go in there when i was younger to look at the electronic stuff but now that i'm older not so much

i used to go in there when i was younger to look at the electronic stuff but now that i'm older not so much

Once OP said east bay area I was sold
laugh.gif

I see a lot all the time and at the best RS is only there to sell me spare parts for things I want to fix from WAY back

Once OP said east bay area I was sold
laugh.gif

I see a lot all the time and at the best RS is only there to sell me spare parts for things I want to fix from WAY back

RS has saved me and my friend so many times when i use to DJ. We would drive really far for a gig and forget a cord or the one we thought would be good was too short. instead of one of us driving back it was always a RS within 5 minutes with what we needed.

RS has saved me and my friend so many times when i use to DJ. We would drive really far for a gig and forget a cord or the one we thought would be good was too short. instead of one of us driving back it was always a RS within 5 minutes with what we needed.

Back
Top Bottom