The Race Card....Stop

Originally Posted by SneakerHeathen

Originally Posted by kix4kix

Now you are assuming whites aren't discriminated against. I disagree.

I stated black for obvious reasons.

Obviously the "Race Card" Exists in theory : hence the title.

My point is that in actuality every-time it is brought up, it is made to seem like it means something. "Stop playing the Race card" As if I walk around with a big card that says RACE on it, and every-time a tough situation comes up I flip it out and smack it on a table say There and walk away.
laugh.gif

I am sick of it, there is no such thing. If your friends have found a way I would like to know, because I've been on this blessed earth for 20 years, and have yet to find its benefits.

I hear you, I really do...

Its annoying, I hate that people try to discount a valid point made by a minority individual on the account of race....

Being in a racial and ethnic minority course I see it more often than I'd like to, people really have come out and said "Oh but he's only making an issue out of it because blah blah blah".....

So I agree, but its going to be something that we'll have to deal with. Why? Because people (minorities) really do use the race card (sometimes), and until people completely stop using race to gain an advantage in situations people will continue to have a reason to discount our our stances, views, feelings etc.....

You haven't reaped its benefits because you know better, you know in the end you're feeding into a much larger problem....No one with half a head on their shoulders would use the race card because they know the long term damage it can cause...

Just feeding fuel to the fire, don't give em a reason to take what we have to say for granted...

pimp.gif

We are basically on the same page bro, where we will have to agree to disagree is the effectiveness of it. When used I don't think it does anything. (Hencewhy intelligent people don't use it)...That is what urks me, is the when whites point it out as if it does enact something. There lies my hang up.

Originally Posted by eaalto

You never hear "I didn't get the position because I'm white".....

Actually, you do hear that. My uncle was denied a position as a firefighter, that went to a less qualified black man, because of affirmative action. He outscored him in all categories, but the black man still received the position because of affirmative action.

Come to think of it you're right...

I had a kid in my class that claimed he missed out on a scholarship and a chance to get into the school of his choice because of affirmative action....Yes, he was white...

Boo Hooo
laugh.gif

In terms of Unfairness

White Privilege > Affirmative action

You should have been there, he then went from his inane grumblings to weekly tirades...

He then made a claim in front of the entire class that the professor was biased because she was Black, that she seemed to always belittle the whites inclass....

She was just spittin the real...

She had to kick him out of the class because dude was on some real rude @$!....

Glad Kix made this thread, surprised that this hasn't been addressed in the past however on NT....

Actually, you do hear that. My uncle was denied a position as a firefighter, that went to a less qualified black man, because of affirmative action. He outscored him in all categories, but the black man still received the position because of affirmative action.

I had a kid in my class that claimed he missed out on a scholarship and a chance to get into the school of his choice because of affirmative action....Yes, he was white...

Boo Hooo
laugh.gif

In terms of Unfairness

So pardon me for not giving a damn about your friend, and your uncle's job
Are you really, truly and honestly, at that much more of a disadvantage in today's society than I am, because you are black and I am white?

My issue with my uncle's job, is that it went to a LESS QUALIFIED PERSON. I could care less if he's black, it's the fact that he is LESSQUALIFIED. Earn your keep, not with a damn handicap.

So pardon me for not giving a damn about your opinion on "white privilege."

Can I play?

In terms of affirmative action though.

I can honestly say growing up and even now I hate affirmative action. Im half filipino and half white. I have lost a couple jobs and I mean two or three.Because I wasnt visibly "of color" and I can honestly tell you, that I used affirmative action to get a scholarship and all that jazz to get into thecollege of my choice. As hypocritical as it seems, I wouldnt feel the need to exploit my filipino-ness if affirmative action didnt exist. I would like to thinkthat ive gotten my rewards for earning them. Not because I was half filipino.

Continue on... Great thread.

Boo Hooo
laugh.gif

In terms of Unfairness

Are you really, truly and honestly, at that much more of a disadvantage in today's society than I am, because you are black and I am white?

My issue with my uncle's job, is that it went to a LESS QUALIFIED PERSON. I could care less if he's black, it's the fact that he is LESS QUALIFIED. Earn your keep, not with a damn handicap.

Yes

I am only half white, and I have gained from white privilege, so I am sure you have

Less qualified says who?

Boo Hooo
laugh.gif

In terms of Unfairness

My issue with my uncle's job, is that it went to a LESS QUALIFIED PERSON. I could care less if he's black, it's the fact that he is LESS QUALIFIED. Earn your keep, not with a damn handicap.

Yes

I am only half white, and I have gained from white privilege, so I am sure you have

Less qualified says who?

I also think this depends on where you reside. If youre talking NYC, LA, pretty much anywhere there is a even flow of minorites compared to whites. Then nothe race card is BS when it comes to qualification. However, if you live in the south or other places that racism has a stonghold then yes, white privelage akagood ol boy status is much much greater than qualification. And I have been on both sides of the fence, San Diego and Rural North Carolina. Both has advantagesand disadvantages coming with race. But in the south, white is greater than anything else. Including qualifications.

Originally Posted by yeahitsRUST

Boo Hooo
laugh.gif

In terms of Unfairness

Yes

Less qualified says who?

I also think this depends on where you reside. If youre talking NYC, LA, pretty much anywhere there is a even flow of minorites compared to whites. Then no the race card is BS when it comes to qualification. However, if you live in the south or other places that racism has a stonghold then yes, white privelage aka good ol boy status is much much greater than qualification. And I have been on both sides of the fence, San Diego and Rural North Carolina. Both has advantages and disadvantages coming with race. But in the south, white is greater than anything else. Including qualifications.

Sorry to disagree, but everywhere white greater.

Originally Posted by TBONE95860

Wait are you claiming there is no such thing as a "race card"???

Thats what he initially seemed to be saying...

BTW you want a popular example of the race card being used?

OJ, there I said it....I opened up THAT can of worms...

Proceed....

"Race Card" = White guilt....So yes I am saying there is no such thing as "race card" the only way a "race card" is useful is if it can be played correct?

OJ
laugh.gif
, I wouldn't go there.

OJ got off because of the race card ehh?...... By that argument whites have had the "race card" for hundreds of years
laugh.gif

lol @ white guilt, so true
laugh.gif

SneakerHeathen wrote:
So you've never seen someone try to use race to gain the upper hand in a situation?

BS...

believe it or not racism is something that is still going on today..........

Originally Posted by sloanboy

SneakerHeathen wrote:
So you've never seen someone try to use race to gain the upper hand in a situation?

BS...

believe it or not racism is something that is still going on today..........

Are you sleep deprived or something? Thanks for stating the obvious, perhaps if you actually read this thread you'd see that my sentiments reflect the verystatement you just made...

Boo Hooo
laugh.gif

In terms of Unfairness

Yes

Less qualified says who?

Says the people who determine who is more qualified for the position, based on their qualifications. I'm not saying that the black man was less qualifiedbecause he was black, I'm saying that the black man was less qualified because he was less qualified. This is one isolated situation, I'm not talkingabout some broader issue. I was just responding to "I didn't get the job because I'm white" comment.

Boo Hooo
laugh.gif

In terms of Unfairness

Stop promoting inferiority and maybe then you will understand why the race card is used in arguements.

Boo Hooo
laugh.gif

In terms of Unfairness

Yes

Less qualified says who?

Says the people who determine who is more qualified for the position, based on their qualifications. I'm not saying that the black man was less qualified because he was black, I'm saying that the black man was less qualified because he was less qualified. This is one isolated situation, I'm not talking about some broader issue. I was just responding to "I didn't get the job because I'm white" comment.

So you have no real proof that he was less qualified?
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

I've seen it mentioned in 4 different threads today...In all cases it is used by individuals claiming that "others" are using the race card.

There is no such thing as this "race card" .....I am sick of people on NT speaking of the "race card" as if it is a fire extinguisher that people break out
anytime they don't have anything factual to say. If there were such a thing I am sure black people would use it for more useful things like wealth, education, and other valuables.

If you have no idea what I am talking about ignore, but seriously stop saying it, it's honestly turned into:

"People playing the card of mentioning others playing the race card"

- not true. i have one....

f7335f21e4186146d91c405664651e04a979a49.bmp

Originally Posted by southzeztpdot

Says the people who determine who is more qualified for the position, based on their qualifications. I'm not saying that the black man was less qualified because he was black, I'm saying that the black man was less qualified because he was less qualified. This is one isolated situation, I'm not talking about some broader issue. I was just responding to "I didn't get the job because I'm white" comment.

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Basically.
tired.gif

Originally Posted by Fantastic4our

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Basically.
tired.gif

This is something that happened 30 years ago, and didn't involve me. My uncle scored higher on the examinations. What is the issue here?

The point is that affirmative action places less qualified people in positions because they are at a "disadvantage."

Why are you arguing in favor of affirmative action? It reinforces the idea that whites are superior, and that minorities need a handicap.

If anything, affirmative action should be structured to assist the impoverished.

Originally Posted by Fantastic4our

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Basically.
tired.gif

This is something that happened 30 years ago, and didn't involve me. My uncle scored higher on the examinations. What is the issue here?

The point is that affirmative action places less qualified people in positions because they are at a "disadvantage."

Why are you arguing in favor of affirmative action? It reinforces the idea that whites are superior, and that minorities need a handicap.

If anything, affirmative action should be structured to assist the impoverished.
i hate when people act like affirmative action is some kind of reverse racism when the ones who benefit the most are white women

"White Women have been the biggest beneficiaries," asserts Dr. Mary Berry, a prominent college professor and chairman of the U.S. Commission onCivil Rights, attempting to calm down opponents who base their evaluations on emotion rather than fact.

"Black women certainly haven't kept pace with the White women and neither have Black men," argues Atty. Barbara Arnwine, the executivedirector of the Lawyers Conference for Civil Rights Under Law, who will convene a summer conference on the subject. "In the mid-60s, White women were lessthan 5 percent in the law schools. Now they're 45 percent."

Atty. Arnwine goes even further, "Black women face not a glass ceiling, but a concrete ceiling and endure a sticky floor. Our future is bleak withaffirmative action, and desperately distressing-without it."
http://findarticles.com/p...080/pg_1?tag=artBody;col1

I find this whole thread pretty stupid but I did like how you equated it to using a fire extinguisher.
"whip it out!!"

yea i agree black people use the race card too much.. shiit, u know wht i go thru in daily basis for being asian.. dont think so.. honestly if ppl gunna go usethe race card, its just the "blaming game"

theres no one to blame but your $%%#+%! self

Back
Top Bottom