The Real Reason New College Grads Can't Get Hired

:lol: 75K not being amazing. I'm done. The **** I read on here. I'm going to start dumbing myself down here.

Everyone comes from different walks of life and expectations. 90% of the people that I know have starting salaries closer to 100k+ range (doctor, consulting, etc) if they go back to do graduate school. 75k is great pay, but not that great for San Francisco. Considering the effort I have put into graduate school of course I'd want much more return. After taxes, 75k is only 60k. That's 5k a month. Rent in SF is about 2400 for a decent studio in a non crazy area + 600 student loans. I have 2,000 left a month for food, gas, insurance, utilities, car payment, etc. Would leave me about $300-$500 to save a month if I'm lucky.

Again, not saying I don't appreciate it. Just saying...in perspective...ANYONE can do it. I'd have much more money if I kept my retail job from age 16 till now, and just gotten an AA degree and become a manager of the store. Would of had no debt and had monies stacked up.

Is there any upside to a "communication technology" major? Had one of my boys try to sell me on this. :lol:

Told him that a major in business is a safer bet.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

While there are some good jobs you can get with a CT or ICT major, if you want to go that route, you're much better off getting an IT or CompSci degree. An overwhelming amount of the "good" jobs will be technical anyways. Cryptology, communications analyst, and intelligence exploitation are where the niche of the field is. Unless you're planning on joining the military or working for a private war contractor, I'd stay away.

This thread hits me right in the feels. I'm in college now and I can assure you guys the fantasy if graduating and getting a decent job is not what it used to be. Even the engineering students are struggling to find employment that pays proportionally for their skills. Companies know we are desperate, and just low ball you
While that's true, I also think it's because people don't know how to negotiate.

People are so happy to just get a job, they settle for less even when they could get away with more. I've seen it myself. I know a former comp sci major that was making 10/hr right after college ( :x ) because he got a job offer from a big tech firm. The other people that got hired with him? In the 20/hr range. Why? Because the guy went into the interview with a defeated attitude, and when the company threw out a low offer for him to counter, he just went with it. If a company thinks it can pay you $10k a year to do work they'd pay 30k for, they're not going to tell you that. They're going to let you sign that contract, :lol:

Everyone comes from different walks of life and expectations. 90% of the people that I know have starting salaries closer to 100k+ range (doctor, consulting, etc) if they go back to do graduate school. 75k is great pay, but not that great for San Francisco. Considering the effort I have put into graduate school of course I'd want much more return. After taxes, 75k is only 60k. That's 5k a month. Rent in SF is about 2400 for a decent studio in a non crazy area + 600 student loans. I have 2,000 left a month for food, gas, insurance, utilities, car payment, etc. Would leave me about $300-$500 to save a month if I'm lucky.

Again, not saying I don't appreciate it. Just saying...in perspective...ANYONE can do it. I'd have much more money if I kept my retail job from age 16 till now, and just gotten an AA degree and become a manager of the store. Would of had no debt and had monies stacked up.
If you dont mind me asking but what kind of position are you interviewing for? I dont see many staff accountant position offering 75k especially if you dont have any relevant experience.

is it possible to get a good job with a BS degree in Criminal Justice???

If you dont mind me asking but what kind of position are you interviewing for? I dont see many staff accountant position offering 75k especially if you dont have any relevant experience.[/quote

I interviewed with the BIg 4, and with regional firms for an audit/assurance summer internship. I ended up choosing a large regional firm (don't want the craziness of Big 4). I actually don't know what my starting offer would be for a full-time staff audit position upon going full-time. I'm saying that based on the RobertHalf accounting salary guide that was recently released.

Specifically, it says:

Public Accounting
Audit/Assurance Services (large firms)
Up to 1 year
54,250 to 66,250

Multiply this by 1.355 for San Francisco local market living rate

This shows a salary range of $73,500 to $89,800. I assume I'd be on the lower end of that, but likely around 75-78k because I'll have my CPA test completed, all units necessary for licensure, and a 3.9+ GPA with an internship already completed at the company. I could be completely wrong though...not sure.

Check out the financial salary guide 2014 by RobertHalf. Has a lot of good data.

Edit: Actually checked the site goingconcern and it seemed to be much lower. More around 45 to 60 range. Hopefully not =/

Last edited:
I have a hard time believing that this entire generation isn't getting jobs simply because their lazy. All companies these days want to do is give out internships and cheap pay.

It's a cop out.
Blame the unfortunate for their problems.

If you dont mind me asking but what kind of position are you interviewing for? I dont see many staff accountant position offering 75k especially if you dont have any relevant experience.[/quote

I interviewed with the BIg 4, and with regional firms for an audit/assurance summer internship. I ended up choosing a large regional firm (don't want the craziness of Big 4). I actually don't know what my starting offer would be for a full-time staff audit position upon going full-time. I'm saying that based on the RobertHalf accounting salary guide that was recently released.

Specifically, it says:

Public Accounting
Audit/Assurance Services (large firms)
Up to 1 year
54,250 to 66,250

Multiply this by 1.355 for San Francisco local market living rate

This shows a salary range of $73,500 to $89,800. I assume I'd be on the lower end of that, but likely around 75-78k because I'll have my CPA test completed, all units necessary for licensure, and a 3.9+ GPA with an internship already completed at the company. I could be completely wrong though...not sure.

Check out the financial salary guide 2014 by RobertHalf. Has a lot of good data.

Edit: Actually checked the site goingconcern and it seemed to be much lower. More around 45 to 60 range. Hopefully not =/
I have a friend doing something similar to you, he is attending Golden Gate for his MS in Accounting because his GPA was way too low in undergrad, and he is aiming to work for a Big 4. He told me after he is finishing with his degree, he is thinking his offer won't be higher than 65k after speaking some people who works at the Big 4 . Not sure how accurate this it so take it for what it is worth.

Thanks, very helpful to know! That is one of the school's that is similar to mine so probably very similar in terms of what they offer. Sounds about right + a few k bonus for passing the CPA test.

Generally, it seems that until you get to the manager level the pay is just alright. At that point though the pay, bonuses and incentives seem to significantly increase.

I picked a firm I can see myself working at for the next 10 years (who knows though) and hopefully by the time I'm 35 I can be at around manager range and making 100-130k. Or I'll do what a lot of people do and jump ship after a few years to the private side lol.

I really want to do federal law enforcement, but no one is hiring, so I'm just looking for something in security. If you are from the DMV area, PM me..

The Border Patrol just had a open application for 90,000 people, you shouldve checked it out. I'm still in the hiring process as we speak.

The Border Patrol just had a open application for 90,000 people, you shouldve checked it out. I'm still in the hiring process as we speak.
and the employees are exploiting the system, on CNN I seen that they are getting paid overtime while sitting and watching Netflix and surfing the web. Even the superiors are using that as a perk during the hiring process.

and the employees are exploiting the system, on CNN I seen that they are getting paid overtime while sitting and watching Netflix and surfing the web. Even the superiors are using that as a perk during the hiring process.

Absolutely :pimp: my favorite type of gov. Employees, lazy not getting anything done.

been seating back and  reading this thread and just thought i share my opinion and experience.

In my opinion college in this age and day is ALL ABOUT NETWORKING AND CONNECTIONS!!!!!!..... colleges has lost its  prestige roughly 34,274 student graduate each year. maybe a fraction will actually get a job that's in there major. SO lets think people if that number of people graduate each year how are you setting yourself APART from your class? People generally think going to college would get them paid like they are better or deserve to get a job after college. Your not special!!  People who didn't go to college in this age are doing better then most college graduate....but wait before yall chew me out...lets take a look. They graduate high school and went into the work force and worked there way up in a company. They master a trait and gain numerous experience. YOU! went to college partied your freshmen year and chased girls and drink for the first time cause your away from the parents. Nothing wrong with that...but i seen it all the time... college kids just party like everything will be different for them. HELL i did!...but that the college world. Colleges aren't doing there ******g jobs they lie to you baby you all the way through the finish line and say thanks for the money ..NEXT!! I mean don't get more wrong some students do work hard...the ones who are doing science,law and medical field. In my opinion if your not that smart and didn't major in those fields  but you love ART! for example...do it ...but do school part time go out network in your field build those contacts and connection. Go do dumb internships. HAVE FUN cause college is the best time of your life. BUT know that taking out a large loan to major in ART IS ******G STUPID!!!!!

I realized college was not for most people my last year. SO I JUST HAD FUN MY LAST YEAR! I saw a number of my FRIENDS and family get out of college and spent a year at home and when they did get a job it wasn't even in there field nor was it a salary job. SO WHY THE **** WOULD I BUST MY *** AND STUDY ALL NIGHT...so i just enjoyed my last year and STILL PULLED A  3.0 GPA  i didn't even try!. JUST GRADUATED AFTER 4 months got a job but that was cause i networked and WENT TO JOB FAIRS WHICH I RECOMMEND TO YOU ALL!!

SO NETWORK PEOPLE. IF i would have knew this as a freshmen
mean.gif

Also do grad school after working in your field for a while, gain experience. Makes it easier. JMO!

I hear everything your saying. You're right. can't really blame your shortcomings on the system. People do party through college, but still there are numerous other viable majors..... well... majors that should be viable besides engineer, doctor, and lawyer.

For example.. Optometry. Not quite a doctor but still along those lines. Back in the day you could be an optometrist in 4 to 6 years for $10-30k total. And when you were licensed and certified you could start your private practice set your own schedule and make $200k a year easily in a big urban city. Now optometry is a mandatory 4 years of grad school after your undergrad (which waste money on all those gen eds). Also regardless of your undergrad school,  Optometry school is costing 30-50k a year! AND to top it all off Lenscrafters, Walmart, and various other huge chains have saturated urban markets and outcompeted private offices and forced recent grads to take salary ranges as low as 70k a year with terrible hours. Whats fair about that? Not to mention these are the kids that worked hard and paid to sacrifice 8 years after high school for the 70k which is really only 50k once they pay the student loan bills... You are guaranteed to find work but its still a raw deal compared to the previous generation.

For the record optometry was my original major until i did all the research and calculations on the state of the field today. My major is now Public Administration. I wanted a more versatile degree and didn't want the cookie cutter MBA that everyone has. I would rather work in the public sector because it isn't as volatile as the private sector, and the jobs are more laid back. Even though I like government I didn't want to do poli sci because like you said arts degrees aren't worth a dime. Hopefully Public Administration will pay off being a degree that teaches a lot of the same skills as business administration but in less competitive fields. That said I know I'll have to network (and I've done well so far thanks to a particular professor) and if I don't find work it's my fault, but I still have sympathy for those who don't have an in somewhere. College cost too much time and money to come out worse off than a high school grad who went straight to work.. If things keep up like this eventually people will wise up and then we'll be begging people to go to college, but by then all the people who messed everything up will be retired.

Every generation says the troubles of the next generation are because they're lazy. This has been going on forever and its the most tired argument ever.

I hear everything your saying. You're right. can't really blame your shortcomings on the system. People do party through college, but still there are numerous other viable majors..... well... majors that should be viable besides engineer, doctor, and lawyer.

For example.. Optometry. Not quite a doctor but still along those lines. Back in the day you could be an optometrist in 4 to 6 years for $10-30k total. And when you were licensed and certified you could start your private practice set your own schedule and make $200k a year easily in a big urban city. Now optometry is a mandatory 4 years of grad school after your undergrad (which waste money on all those gen eds). Also regardless of your undergrad school,  Optometry school is costing 30-50k a year! AND to top it all off Lenscrafters, Walmart, and various other huge chains have saturated urban markets and outcompeted private offices and forced recent grads to take salary ranges as low as 70k a year with terrible hours. Whats fair about that? Not to mention these are the kids that worked hard and paid to sacrifice 8 years after high school for the 70k which is really only 50k once they pay the student loan bills... You are guaranteed to find work but its still a raw deal compared to the previous generation.

For the record optometry was my original major until i did all the research and calculations on the state of the field today. My major is now Public Administration. I wanted a more versatile degree and didn't want the cookie cutter MBA that everyone has. I would rather work in the public sector because it isn't as volatile as the private sector, and the jobs are more laid back. Even though I like government I didn't want to do poli sci because like you said arts degrees aren't worth a dime. Hopefully Public Administration will pay off being a degree that teaches a lot of the same skills as business administration but in less competitive fields. That said I know I'll have to network (and I've done well so far thanks to a particular professor) and if I don't find work it's my fault, but I still have sympathy for those who don't have an in somewhere. College cost too much time and money to come out worse off than a high school grad who went straight to work.. If things keep up like this eventually people will wise up and then we'll be begging people to go to college, but by then all the people who messed everything up will be retired.
what school did you go to? and public Administration is a good major very broad l majored in Criminology and minor in Business marketing and management. Are you going to grad school?

I'm in the hiring process as well. The wait is unbearable. I've done everything except the polygraph exam and the drug test. They are doing my background check. 

I did only 1 part of the polygraph and I am still waiting to be called back. It takes forever to get hired. Almost a damn year.

Every generation says the troubles of the next generation are because they're lazy. This has been going on forever and its the most tired argument ever.
Because you're paranoid, doesn't mean people ain't out to get you.

With our trend toward globalization and a cyber culture the idea of a hard days honest work is simply not the reality. This generation, because we have the ability, expects everything fast, expects to be handed things. My dad worked three jobs growing up, my homie doesn't work any. Of course it's all anecdotal but to say a 20 year old today is as 'hardworking' as a twenty year forty years ago is simply not true.

Why do you guys continue to waste your time getting degrees?

Look for positions in places like the railway, or trucking, in factories or anything that is in the labour field. Office jobs are a complete waste of your time. 

I have mentioned it before. CN here in Canada offers many crafts that have starting wages at 50k with only a high school diploma required. The other railroads in the U.S. would be very similar. 

You don't need an education to drive a truck, work an excavator, build roads or train tracks. They already have guys crunching the numbers behind what goes where at what angles. If you can make a good living doing physical work as a high school grad, you'll be miles ahead of some college/university grad that wasted 4 years of their life and racked up massive debt.

Make sacrifices, move around, work nights and holidays. Living that life debt free out of high school is better than going to college in my mind. 

Look for positions in places like the railway, or trucking, in factories or anything that is in the labour field. Office jobs are a complete waste of your time. 

I have mentioned it before. CN here in Canada offers many crafts that have starting wages at 50k with only a high school diploma required. The other railroads in the U.S. would be very similar. 

You don't need an education to drive a truck, work an excavator, build roads or train tracks. They already have guys crunching the numbers behind what goes where at what angles. If you can make a good living doing physical work as a high school grad, you'll be miles ahead of some college/university grad that wasted 4 years of their life and racked up massive debt.

Make sacrifices, move around, work nights and holidays. Living that life debt free out of high school is better than going to college in my mind. 
high post to avy ratio

View media item 626710
it blows my mind how so people automatically assume college = 50k ...

:lol:

but then again... i go back and look at the post... and the sarcasm is dere. it has to be.

i see it. :nerd:

Last edited:

I'm in the hiring process as well. The wait is unbearable. I've done everything except the polygraph exam and the drug test. They are doing my background check. 

I did only 1 part of the polygraph and I am still waiting to be called back. It takes forever to get hired. Almost a damn year.
It will be worth it once you get that TS w/ Poly 
pimp.gif
. A TS w/ poly is my goal once I graduate, i don't even want to consider a job if they aren't talking TS w/ Poly.

it blows my mind how so people automatically assume college = 50k ...

laugh.gif

but then again... i go back and look at the post... and the sarcasm is dere. it has to be.

i see it.
nerd.gif
No sarcasm at all. What I am saying is that you'll make a much better living, without student loan debts, if you'd just give these fields a shot. Your home life may suffer and you may have to move but the money is there. How many places can you name where you can make over 100k a year with only a high school diploma that are not in transportation or labor intensive?

Back
Top Bottom