The Real Ronaldo - Appreciation Post

Here's an earlier interview where Zidane says Ronaldo is the best player on the planet and actually compares him to Maradona.

Notice at the end Ronaldo mentioning he had to be hospitalized after the 98 finals and that Zidane visited him. Why is it OK to say Zidane's injury in 02 is the reason Brazil won but then ignore the fact that Ronaldo was injured for the 98 finals? This makes no sense at all...

It's been hard for me knowing the guy has been playing the past couple years and been playing well for that matter and not being able to watch him. I don't know if anyone will ever beat his World Cup scoring record (unless somehow Klose plays in 2014). From what I recall he said that this season with Corinthians would be his last. I just hope Brasil gives him some sort of farewell game in a friendly or something.

Also, Ronaldo may not have played in '94, but he was on the squad and he did hold that trophy

It's been hard for me knowing the guy has been playing the past couple years and been playing well for that matter and not being able to watch him. I don't know if anyone will ever beat his World Cup scoring record (unless somehow Klose plays in 2014). From what I recall he said that this season with Corinthians would be his last. I just hope Brasil gives him some sort of farewell game in a friendly or something.

Also, Ronaldo may not have played in '94, but he was on the squad and he did hold that trophy

How many times are you going to duck the point that RONALDO WAS INJURED FOR THE 1998 FINALS and even despite Brazil's loss he was voted as the best player in the tournament while Zidane was voted as the 3rd best player on France? I mean, how weak of an argument is it to claim Zidane is better due to France's win over Brazil in 98 when Zidane wasnt even seen as the best player on his team while Ronaldo was seen as the best player in a tournament he lost?

How many times are you going to duck the point that RONALDO WAS HEALTHY FOR THE 2006 QUARTER-FINALS and even despite France's loss Zidane was voted as the best player in the tournament while Ronaldo wasn't even voted in the team of the tournament (unlike Zidane in 98)? I mean, how weak of an argument is it to claim Ronaldo is better due to a performance in a World Cup where Zidane was injured and him losing in 2006 when Ronaldo wasnt even seen as the best player on his team while Zidane was seen as the best player in a tournament he lost?

Again: In 98 Zidane scored two goals compared to Ronaldo's four (one of the four coming from a penalty). As an midfielder. In two games less (forgot he missed the game against Paraguay as well). With both goals being scored in the most important game of the tournament. A game where he played against the very player you're trying to argue for. And talk all you want about Zidane only being the third best player on that France team or whatever - any evaluation of Zidane throughout the entire course of the tournament was handicapped by him missing a significant amount of playing time, and not of him playing poor in the games he did play.

And OH YEAH, don't know how the hell I forgot about this: Since you seem to focus SO MUCH on Ronaldo being named as the best player in the 98 World Cup where Zizou missed a third of his potential playing time, then what about 2002 when Oliver Kahn was named as the best player of the tournament? It's good to know that due to your desperate-!@# twisted logic that Oliver Kahn was a better player than Ronaldo in 2002. The biggest moment in his career and the guy wasn't even named the best player of the tournament. Wow, beaten by a goalkeeper for the title too. That's gotta be embarrassing. I'm sure that's what everyone remembers that 2002 World Cup for: Oliver Kahn being voted as the best player. Not Ronaldo scoring twice on him in the final and holding the trophy at the end of the game with that weird-!@# haircut. Just like everyone remembers the 1998 World Cup for Ronaldo being voted as the best player and not Zizou kissing the French emblem on the jersey after he scored in the final and his face being projected on the Arc de Triomphe after the game.

So to sum up their World Cup careers, Zidane missed about a quarter of his playing time in the three World Cups he played while Ronaldo played in all his World Cup games (didn't check if he was substituted). For someone who is eager to point out the "when they both played" factor, maybe you should actually check how much they actually played and didn't play in the World Cups.

Why is it OK to say Zidane's injury in 02 is the reason Brazil won

Because an undisputed man of the match in both games Zidane eliminated Brazil in 1998 and 2006 - if he was able to do it four years before and four years after, him being able to do it four years inbetween is a claim that is backed up by common sense.

but then ignore the fact that Ronaldo was injured for the 98 finals? This makes no sense at all...

Didn't ignore it as much as point out that him being healthy wouldn't have had an influence at the end result of the game. The reason for that being France winning 3-0, but also being a much better team that day result aside. Zidane would've still scored those headers. Ronaldo wouldn't have prevented that from happening - didn't you point this out yourself?

And you seriously want me to bow down just because a guy who is as humble as Zidane says that Ronaldo is a better player than him in an interview? Mario Balotelli thinks he's the second best player in the world right now. It must be true. He said so in an interview.

How many times are you going to duck the point that RONALDO WAS INJURED FOR THE 1998 FINALS and even despite Brazil's loss he was voted as the best player in the tournament while Zidane was voted as the 3rd best player on France? I mean, how weak of an argument is it to claim Zidane is better due to France's win over Brazil in 98 when Zidane wasnt even seen as the best player on his team while Ronaldo was seen as the best player in a tournament he lost?

How many times are you going to duck the point that RONALDO WAS HEALTHY FOR THE 2006 QUARTER-FINALS and even despite France's loss Zidane was voted as the best player in the tournament while Ronaldo wasn't even voted in the team of the tournament (unlike Zidane in 98)? I mean, how weak of an argument is it to claim Ronaldo is better due to a performance in a World Cup where Zidane was injured and him losing in 2006 when Ronaldo wasnt even seen as the best player on his team while Zidane was seen as the best player in a tournament he lost?

Again: In 98 Zidane scored two goals compared to Ronaldo's four (one of the four coming from a penalty). As an midfielder. In two games less (forgot he missed the game against Paraguay as well). With both goals being scored in the most important game of the tournament. A game where he played against the very player you're trying to argue for. And talk all you want about Zidane only being the third best player on that France team or whatever - any evaluation of Zidane throughout the entire course of the tournament was handicapped by him missing a significant amount of playing time, and not of him playing poor in the games he did play.

And OH YEAH, don't know how the hell I forgot about this: Since you seem to focus SO MUCH on Ronaldo being named as the best player in the 98 World Cup where Zizou missed a third of his potential playing time, then what about 2002 when Oliver Kahn was named as the best player of the tournament? It's good to know that due to your desperate-!@# twisted logic that Oliver Kahn was a better player than Ronaldo in 2002. The biggest moment in his career and the guy wasn't even named the best player of the tournament. Wow, beaten by a goalkeeper for the title too. That's gotta be embarrassing. I'm sure that's what everyone remembers that 2002 World Cup for: Oliver Kahn being voted as the best player. Not Ronaldo scoring twice on him in the final and holding the trophy at the end of the game with that weird-!@# haircut. Just like everyone remembers the 1998 World Cup for Ronaldo being voted as the best player and not Zizou kissing the French emblem on the jersey after he scored in the final and his face being projected on the Arc de Triomphe after the game.

So to sum up their World Cup careers, Zidane missed about a quarter of his playing time in the three World Cups he played while Ronaldo played in all his World Cup games (didn't check if he was substituted). For someone who is eager to point out the "when they both played" factor, maybe you should actually check how much they actually played and didn't play in the World Cups.

Why is it OK to say Zidane's injury in 02 is the reason Brazil won

Because an undisputed man of the match in both games Zidane eliminated Brazil in 1998 and 2006 - if he was able to do it four years before and four years after, him being able to do it four years inbetween is a claim that is backed up by common sense.

but then ignore the fact that Ronaldo was injured for the 98 finals? This makes no sense at all...

Didn't ignore it as much as point out that him being healthy wouldn't have had an influence at the end result of the game. The reason for that being France winning 3-0, but also being a much better team that day result aside. Zidane would've still scored those headers. Ronaldo wouldn't have prevented that from happening - didn't you point this out yourself?

And you seriously want me to bow down just because a guy who is as humble as Zidane says that Ronaldo is a better player than him in an interview? Mario Balotelli thinks he's the second best player in the world right now. It must be true. He said so in an interview.

You guys baffle me sometimes. I swear this thread has gone from appreciation to How can I Slurp on Zidane.

I was expecting to actually talk about the guy Ronaldo... On how his footwork was soley/primarily based off his corner eye.

Smh.... Smh at you guys.

Maybe next time.

You guys baffle me sometimes. I swear this thread has gone from appreciation to How can I Slurp on Zidane.

I was expecting to actually talk about the guy Ronaldo... On how his footwork was soley/primarily based off his corner eye.

Smh.... Smh at you guys.

Maybe next time.

Ronaldo was a beast. No question.
Best striker ever? I don't know, I want to say yes.
Best soccer player ever? Hum, I don't think he is even close to be in the conversation. No misinterpretation though, his highlights are awesome, he scored truly amazing goals. Unstoppable in the FIFA WC 98 video game
smile.gif

The Champion's league hat trick game against Man U is in my top 5. The level of skills on this field was HIGH, like very high.
No doubt he could score goals. And yes he is among the best to ever played, top 10.

This said, I think the following should terminate the ronaldo/zidane debat :
Context : Penalty Kick, WC Final '06 against Italy 0-0 (after completely destroying Spain/Brasil, and kinda struggling against Portugal)
Question : what kind of player THINKS at shooting a Panenka against the best goal keeper in the world on the world biggest stage?
The answer must be : the coolest player to ever play the game ahaha

Zidane > *
Ok I may be biased, but he's got to be in the greatest player discussion short list. Top 3.

NOBODY watching this game (meaning the WHOLE WORLD) had anticipated a panenka.
Pure Genius. This, for me, goes down as the second most stunning moment in world cup history. The first being the headbutt later in that very same game.

Best soccer player ever? Hum, I don't think he is even close to be in the conversation. No misinterpretation though, his highlights are awesome, he scored truly amazing goals. Unstoppable in the FIFA WC 98 video game
smile.gif

The Champion's league hat trick game against Man U is in my top 5. The level of skills on this field was HIGH, like very high.
No doubt he could score goals. And yes he is among the best to ever played, top 10.

Context : Penalty Kick, WC Final '06 against Italy 0-0 (after completely destroying Spain/Brasil, and kinda struggling against Portugal)
Question : what kind of player THINKS at shooting a Panenka against the best goal keeper in the world on the world biggest stage?

Zidane > *
Ok I may be biased, but he's got to be in the greatest player discussion short list. Top 3.

Pure Genius. This, for me, goes down as the second most stunning moment in world cup history. The first being the headbutt later in that very same game.

Originally Posted by Disiz

smile.gif

Zidane > *

Wow, that was deep. Zidane scored an audacious PK...he must be the best. You really have me convinced!

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
@ that being your most stunning moment in WC history. How many WCs did you watch? One? There are a million better WC moments than that...heck, it wasnt even Zidane's best WC moment (has to be his headers in the 98 finals). How about Iniesta's winning goal vs. Holland? Kahn spilling a save in the 02 finals? Zidane's goals in the 98 finals? Letchkov's (sp) goal vs. Germany in 94 or Baggio's PK miss? Or Maradona's 2 goals vs. England in 86?

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
@ what turned out to be a meaningless PK goal being a top moment in WC history. Come on dude.

When Ronaldo was at his peak he was undeniably the best player on the planet. People look back at Zidane's career and see a highly accomplished player that performed at a high level for 10-years but he was never as dominant a force as Ronaldo was.

Ronaldo wins the Golden Ball of the 98 WC and leads Brazil to the finals, then goes ape**** in 02 and wins the WC. Two consecutive dominant WC appearances while at his peak.

Zidane has a minimal impact on France's first 6 WC matches in 98 (I'm not exaggerating here, look it up)...scores twice in the finals and suddenly he's viewed as a player that dominated the tournament. Yes, Zidane's impact was minimized in that tournament due to his suspension but who's fault is it he decided to stamp on a helpless opponent in a match they were up 2-0 in? Poor guy for getting himself sent off...

2006 WC and France are unable to win their first 2 group stage matches. Guess what, Zidane gets himself suspended for France's next match but they manage to win without him. He plays great vs. Spain and Brazil, doesnt really standout in the next 2 matches, although he scored 2 PK goals and suddenly he's seen as a better WC performer than Ronaldo? The same player that dominated 2 consecutive WCs from start to finish?

OK, lets deduct Zidane's 2 PK goals from the 06 WC since PK goals dont seem to count anymore. Poor Zidane for playing 2 less games than Ronaldo due to the fact he tried to break a player's leg. Actually, Zidane did not have a great a tournament as people may think when you evaluate the matches he played in. First match he assists 1 goal. Second match France score 2-goals and then he gets sent off. He comes back vs. Italy and does nothing in what ended as a 0-0 draw. He does nothing in the semis vs. Croatia as defender Lilian Thuram scored 2 goals to put France in the finals. Zidane scores 2 goals in the finals and suddenly he had a great tourny? Nah, it doesnt work that way.
Didn't ignore it as much as point out that him being healthy wouldn't have had an influence at the end result of the game.

So an injury to the the reigning 2 time WPOY and Golden Ball winner did not have an influence on the end result of the game?

And for the last time, what does Zidane's performance vs. Brazil in 06 have to do with the discussion about both players being in their primes? Ronaldo was finished by then so he was NOT in his prime. Ronaldo was injured for the 98 finals so you cant use that match as a reason to point to Zidane's superiority over Ronaldo.

Man, I shudder to think at the possibility of the Zidane myth growing to epic proportions in coming years and decades. We have a generation of fans who actually believe he was the best player ever and even better than guys like Pele and Maradona. It's really unbelievable how some fans consider a player that is probably between top 5-10 all time as actually the best to ever play the game...a lot like Kobe fans who think he's the best ever because he's 1 ring away from tying MJ
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Disiz

smile.gif

Zidane > *

Wow, that was deep. Zidane scored an audacious PK...he must be the best. You really have me convinced!

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
@ that being your most stunning moment in WC history. How many WCs did you watch? One? There are a million better WC moments than that...heck, it wasnt even Zidane's best WC moment (has to be his headers in the 98 finals). How about Iniesta's winning goal vs. Holland? Kahn spilling a save in the 02 finals? Zidane's goals in the 98 finals? Letchkov's (sp) goal vs. Germany in 94 or Baggio's PK miss? Or Maradona's 2 goals vs. England in 86?

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
@ what turned out to be a meaningless PK goal being a top moment in WC history. Come on dude.

When Ronaldo was at his peak he was undeniably the best player on the planet. People look back at Zidane's career and see a highly accomplished player that performed at a high level for 10-years but he was never as dominant a force as Ronaldo was.

Ronaldo wins the Golden Ball of the 98 WC and leads Brazil to the finals, then goes ape**** in 02 and wins the WC. Two consecutive dominant WC appearances while at his peak.

Zidane has a minimal impact on France's first 6 WC matches in 98 (I'm not exaggerating here, look it up)...scores twice in the finals and suddenly he's viewed as a player that dominated the tournament. Yes, Zidane's impact was minimized in that tournament due to his suspension but who's fault is it he decided to stamp on a helpless opponent in a match they were up 2-0 in? Poor guy for getting himself sent off...

2006 WC and France are unable to win their first 2 group stage matches. Guess what, Zidane gets himself suspended for France's next match but they manage to win without him. He plays great vs. Spain and Brazil, doesnt really standout in the next 2 matches, although he scored 2 PK goals and suddenly he's seen as a better WC performer than Ronaldo? The same player that dominated 2 consecutive WCs from start to finish?

OK, lets deduct Zidane's 2 PK goals from the 06 WC since PK goals dont seem to count anymore. Poor Zidane for playing 2 less games than Ronaldo due to the fact he tried to break a player's leg. Actually, Zidane did not have a great a tournament as people may think when you evaluate the matches he played in. First match he assists 1 goal. Second match France score 2-goals and then he gets sent off. He comes back vs. Italy and does nothing in what ended as a 0-0 draw. He does nothing in the semis vs. Croatia as defender Lilian Thuram scored 2 goals to put France in the finals. Zidane scores 2 goals in the finals and suddenly he had a great tourny? Nah, it doesnt work that way.
Didn't ignore it as much as point out that him being healthy wouldn't have had an influence at the end result of the game.

So an injury to the the reigning 2 time WPOY and Golden Ball winner did not have an influence on the end result of the game?

And for the last time, what does Zidane's performance vs. Brazil in 06 have to do with the discussion about both players being in their primes? Ronaldo was finished by then so he was NOT in his prime. Ronaldo was injured for the 98 finals so you cant use that match as a reason to point to Zidane's superiority over Ronaldo.

Man, I shudder to think at the possibility of the Zidane myth growing to epic proportions in coming years and decades. We have a generation of fans who actually believe he was the best player ever and even better than guys like Pele and Maradona. It's really unbelievable how some fans consider a player that is probably between top 5-10 all time as actually the best to ever play the game...a lot like Kobe fans who think he's the best ever because he's 1 ring away from tying MJ
laugh.gif

why people compare zidane to ronaldo here?I am asian,in china,Ronaldo was/is/will regarded as the god of football and EL Fenomeno.In china people like compare maradona to ronaldo,but most people think ronaldo was better,and people always compare rivaldo to zidane,most people think rivaldo was better.Zidane is a idol of the Europe,but he just a idol like beckham,though zidane had won world player of year 3 times,beckham even hadn't won world player of year 1 time.But they all belong to idol,Ronaldo 's dribble skills,speed and power belong to most precious treasure in the history of the soccer,Ronaldo was best player of the 1990s and best player ever with Pele.
http://www.interfans.org/...22&posted=1#post10791822

why people compare zidane to ronaldo here?I am asian,in china,Ronaldo was/is/will regarded as the god of football and EL Fenomeno.In china people like compare maradona to ronaldo,but most people think ronaldo was better,and people always compare rivaldo to zidane,most people think rivaldo was better.Zidane is a idol of the Europe,but he just a idol like beckham,though zidane had won world player of year 3 times,beckham even hadn't won world player of year 1 time.But they all belong to idol,Ronaldo 's dribble skills,speed and power belong to most precious treasure in the history of the soccer,Ronaldo was best player of the 1990s and best player ever with Pele.
http://www.interfans.org/...22&posted=1#post10791822

man, this thread brought back many childhood memories, even though ronaldo will be remembered as a better player i liked rivaldo more

man, this thread brought back many childhood memories, even though ronaldo will be remembered as a better player i liked rivaldo more

Originally Posted by chengchen

Soccer skills:tongue:ele Ronaldo
Soccer idol :Zidane Beckham

Boxer skills: Tyson
Boxer idol : Holyfield

Basketball skills : Jordan
Basketball idol : Kobe Bryant

indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by chengchen

Soccer skills:tongue:ele Ronaldo
Soccer idol :Zidane Beckham

Boxer skills: Tyson