The RETRO Gaming Thread!

AE39FEC7-BAD0-475F-9014-C1DC36F7D14F.jpeg

Copped a Duke too

Good conversation here.

My thoughts

Sound Effects
Music

Go to World Tour / VPW 64

Also, VPW 64's Post Match rating system gave it a level of replay value that NONE of the other games had.

World Tour / VPW 64: I look at them based on how special/different they were when they were released. The feeling World TOur gave me was never matched after that.

Girl Thats Jules Girl Thats Jules Bend_The_Knee Bend_The_Knee

Now that I will finally own a house soon... thinking about finally buying an arcade or two. Always wanted a CPS2 and an MVS, but owning either isn't very practical considering you can play the entire library of both arcades via modern console emulation, so I dunno.

Congrats on your future purchase! I’d still get one cabinet just for the man cave.

Good conversation here.

My thoughts

Sound Effects
Music

Also, VPW 64's Post Match rating system gave it a level of replay value that NONE of the other games had.

World Tour / VPW 64: I look at them based on how special/different they were when they were released. The feeling World TOur gave me was never matched after that.

Revenge had a fire soundtrack. I don't really care for the ring intros.

What does it for me is the roster and just the feeling of 1997-98 WCW, they just captured it inside of this game sometime. Every time I play this game I'm taken back to that time. Not to 1998 America but just 1998 watching WCW with friends and being absorbed into that universe.

Having Ric Flair on the roster would have been the icing on the cake. That and a better edit/create a wrestler mode.

I still give it so many spins it's crazy, I think I'll be playing it until I die.

Good conversation here.

My thoughts

Sound Effects
Music

Looking back on it I'll take the faster gameplay of Revenge, WM2K and VPW2 over NM. I did put tons of hours into NM without noticing the slowdown, but fired it up a few years back and at least in the 4 player matches the slow down was quite noticeable.

Side note, not sure if it's AEW or WWF but one of them managed to score a director or PM from AKI to work on a new game. Sadly they've opted to go with the Yukes game engine (or some version of it).

Now that I will finally own a house soon... thinking about finally buying an arcade or two. Always wanted a CPS2 and an MVS, but owning either isn't very practical considering you can play the entire library of both arcades via modern console emulation, so I dunno.

congrats!
i bought a bunch of cps2 boards...but ive sold alot of them off once i got the darksoft cps2 setup...its worth it if you can find a setup...i have the cps2 library now on one arcade cabinet...i also have the darksoft cps3 setup...

ive never messed with mame or any of the emulators...but i hate lag and almost all console copies have felt off, id be annoyed if my cab felt off, you can find good deals on cps2 boards on ebay sometimes...

i was super dissapointed with street fighter 30th anniversary, i bought that for ps4 and the switch and they both seem off...esp the ps4 version

I still do Live 08 because it’s fun to trade players and see how the season goes. I wish they added more shoes and colorways to the game though.

Edit: found this new in the og box. Pretty neat, now I just need an og gameboy :lol:
1F0EAD61-6359-44B6-9A0D-24989184C1EC.jpeg

Last edited:
Yall are better than me man.

Since I am a stickler for realism in my basketball games, any "3D" basketball game of the past is hard for me to go back and play.

Foot PLanting
Goofy Dunking

I would end up taking that disk out and breaking it into pieces. :lol:

Once I retire an NBA Game, I move on and don't look back.

Yall are better than me man.

Since I am a stickler for realism in my basketball games, any "3D" basketball game of the past is hard for me to go back and play.

Foot PLanting
Goofy Dunking

I would end up taking that disk out and breaking it into pieces. :lol:

Once I retire an NBA Game, I move on and don't look back.
Fun factor
Throwback teams
Cool features like freestyle superstars

Sometimes trying to be too "realistic" and failing at that makes the games not that fun.

AKA NBA 2K last few years

Madden 06 with the highly unappreciated "vision cone" soon come :pimp:

Fun factor
Throwback teams
Cool features like freestyle superstars

Sometimes trying to be too "realistic" and failing at that makes the games not that fun.

AKA NBA 2K last few years

Madden 06 with the highly unappreciated "vision cone" soon come :pimp:

I get it.

All of those things are in 2K though.

FreeStyle: Just an early form of badges.

Classic Teams (Even more)

To ME, "Realism" is fun. I don't view them as two separate things.

I know that is me though.

Also, I don't think 2K caters to a realistic fan base anymore, that has been dead for years.

2K USED to be a "Simulation" but since they have become such a big entity, they have to cater to the casuals. (Which they have done).

I get it.

All of those things are in 2K though.

FreeStyle: Just an early form of badges.

Classic Teams (Even more)

To ME, "Realism" is fun. I don't view them as two separate things.

I know that is me though.

Also, I don't think 2K caters to a realistic fan base anymore, that has been dead for years.

2K USED to be a "Simulation" but since they have become such a big entity, they have to cater to the casuals. (Which they have done).
2K is not fun for me anymore.

It's a game that SHOULD be better

Back
Top Bottom