The RETRO Gaming Thread!

Know what would be so clutch from Nintendo and SEGA? If they re-release the NES, SNES, and Genesis with native HD support that upscales the games. I got old cartridges, I've got old systems, but they don't look so nice on newer TV's.

I know they have those clone systems, but I'm not big on those things.

Last edited:
I have a Raspberry Pi with RetroPi on it. Something as simple as putting an overlay PNG image with horizontal black lines made such a drastic change in the picture quality. I'm sure Nintendo could've easily implemented something like that into this. Hopefully they did.

Last edited:
Know what would be so clutch from Nintendo and SEGA? If they re-release the NES, SNES, and Genesis with native HD support that upscales the games. I got old cartridges, I've got old systems, but they don't look so nice on newer TV's.

I know they have those clone systems, but I'm not big on those things.
I would be on board with this.

I still love playing OG Mario Kart.

Zutaten (@ZutatenSA)
7 hours ago - View on Twitter
Everyone please buy a tiny NES so they release a tiny SNES next year which is what we all really want.

NES is appreciated, but if this mini-release was SNES :wow: surely they have to at some point, no?

For those looking for SNES games to play, check out this list. I'm not sure if I saw it from here or /r/snes.

http://rvgfanatic.com/wordpress/index.php/super-plays-top-100-snes-games/

Just finished reading it, loved it

Donkey Kong Country at 95 tho?

Last edited:
Word is Nintendo will not be releasing another mini console.

-You can't add/download games
-Will not play vintage cartridges

It's pretty much a plug n' play tv toy albeit one with really cool games. I don't mind copping for my little nephews because it saves me the trouble of having to...

A. pay a lot of money for an og Nes.
B. pay ebay prices for games
C. Won't have to lend out my games :lol:

Hopefully the games look good on an HD tv because the original hardware only looks good on old crt televisions. I don't mind because I own one but my sister only has new tv's.

Nintendo should stop being difficult and just release their games for mobile phones.

The mini NES is cool & all but I'd prefer Mike Tyson's Punch-Out on my phone vs having to plug it into my television

30 games is just not enough b. I'm better off buying an NES and get the games I want.

Nintendo should stop being difficult and just release their games for mobile phones.

The mini NES is cool & all but I'd prefer Mike Tyson's Punch-Out on my phone vs having to plug it into my television

I'd imagine it would be harder to play without a controller though...

I have a Raspberry Pi with RetroPi on it. Something as simple as putting an overlay PNG image with horizontal black lines made such a drastic change in the picture quality. I'm sure Nintendo could've easily implemented something like that into this. Hopefully they did.
Any info on how to do this? I'm considering getting a Raspberry Pi since it'll be more flexible than the miniNES

I may have missed it but has anybody put emulators on their Amazon Fire Stick?  Gonna set that up this weekend. 

interested in this too. What's a raspberry pi?Somebody put that in caveman terms please
It's a tiny computer that fits in the palm of your hand.

Like any computer, you can install emulator on it. NES/SNES/SEGA/GB/GBA/PS1/N64 ETC

It has a HDMI port so that you can display the image on a TV or monitor.

Any info on how to do this? I'm considering getting a Raspberry Pi since it'll be more flexible than the miniNES
I've had a Raspberry Pi 3 w/ RetroPie for a few months now and I love it.

Here's a shopping list I made on Amazon with all of the products needed:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1H69VJFIB3/?tag=niketalk0e-20

It'll cost around $80 total to get you started. The main essentials are obviously the Raspberry Pi 3, 32GB SD card (although you can opt for a smaller, cheaper one), Power Supply, Case, HDMI cable, and at least one controller.

Here's a spoiler with a bunch of details. Don't wanna derail the thread with a wall of text :lol:.
I have a few different controllers on there. The Buffalo SNES is the one that I use. Highly compatible, quality USB controller. The 8bitdo SNES30 is almost an exact replica of the OG SNES controller that supports Bluetooth as well as USB. The 8bitdo NES30 Pro is a Bluetooth/USB controller modeled off of the OG NES controller. It has a bunch of added buttons and analog sticks so it can be a one stop shop for NES/SNES/N64 games (as well as SEGA and any other system on RPie). If you wanna splurge a little bit that's the one you wanna go for, although the last time I checked it took a little extra to get it paired with the Pi. Nothing crazy though. If you have an Xbox 360 controller, those work pretty well out of the box for all systems with a little extra setup and will save you some money on buying other controllers.

You don't need to get that particular case but I'd highly recommend it. It's open-air and includes a fan for added cooling. Especially useful if you're gonna overclock your Pi to run N64 games smoother. Plus it looks cool. (Side note: If you get that case, when you install the fan, make sure it's blowing air ONTO the Pi, rather than pulling air away from it.)

As for setting up the Raspberry Pi with RetroPie, it's really easy. Here are a few guides you can follow.

lifehacker - This is the guide I used. Very simple.
"Official" Github Install Guide - A bit more in-depth than Lifehacker's.

That will get your RetroPie up and running. Here are a few other tweaks and features that will make it more enjoyable.

Overclocking:
If you're gonna be playing N64 games it's highly advisable to overclock your Pi for better performance. Here are a few links to get you started. It may seem daunting but it's pretty easy to set up.

https://github.com/retropie/retropie-setup/wiki/Overclocking
https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/Optimization-for-Nintendo-64
Twitch0815's N64-Optimized OC settings - These are the settings I use.
N64 Game Compatibility List w/ OC'd Pi

Overlays:
Overlays are images that are run over top of the video (hence overlay). They're simple to install and a scanline overlay can drastically improve the picture quality of retro systems on modern flatscreen TVs. One drawback to them is that it makes the video a little darker (because in essence the overlay is just a bunch of horizontal black lines to mimic an old CRT TV) but it's a worthy tradeoff in my opinion. Here's how to get one running, as well as a video of the differences.

RP Video Manager

ROMs:
I use emuparadise.

Scrapers:
Scrapers gather a list of all of your games and download the artwork and info for them. Makes for a nice and polished looking setup. I like using Sselph's Scraper Script. You can access it from the RetroPie tools script.

Themes:
There are a ton of themes out there to suit your eye. I personally just use the stock theme, but you can Google and find a bunch of them. They're easy to install.

This may all seem super tedious and time consuming, but if you set aside some time on a weekend you can easily be up and running in a few hours. If you're computer savvy you'll be up and running in no time. I set mine up after work one night and was playing Super Mario World like 2 hours later.

Any other questions feel free to PM me and I'll try to help out as best I can.

Last edited:
I'd buy a used one for half price and just use the housing to hold a Raspberry Pi.
That was my thought this morning when I saw that you won't be able to download any more games. I've seen some people using 3D printed NES clones to house their RPi but an official real-looking NES straight from Nintendo would be pretty badass.

I've had a Raspberry Pi 3 w/ RetroPie for a few months now and I love it.

Here's a shopping list I made on Amazon with all of the products needed:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1H69VJFIB3/?tag=niketalk0e-20

It'll cost around $80 total to get you started. The main essentials are obviously the Raspberry Pi 3, 32GB SD card (although you can opt for a smaller, cheaper one), Power Supply, Case, HDMI cable, and at least one controller.

Here's a spoiler with a bunch of details. Don't wanna derail the thread with a wall of text :lol:.
I have a few different controllers on there. The Buffalo SNES is the one that I use. Highly compatible, quality USB controller. The 8bitdo SNES30 is almost an exact replica of the OG SNES controller that supports Bluetooth as well as USB. The 8bitdo NES30 Pro is a Bluetooth/USB controller modeled off of the OG NES controller. It has a bunch of added buttons and analog sticks so it can be a one stop shop for NES/SNES/N64 games (as well as SEGA and any other system on RPie). If you wanna splurge a little bit that's the one you wanna go for, although the last time I checked it took a little extra to get it paired with the Pi. Nothing crazy though. If you have an Xbox 360 controller, those work pretty well out of the box for all systems with a little extra setup and will save you some money on buying other controllers.

You don't need to get that particular case but I'd highly recommend it. It's open-air and includes a fan for added cooling. Especially useful if you're gonna overclock your Pi to run N64 games smoother. Plus it looks cool. (Side note: If you get that case, when you install the fan, make sure it's blowing air ONTO the Pi, rather than pulling air away from it.)

As for setting up the Raspberry Pi with RetroPie, it's really easy. Here are a few guides you can follow.

lifehacker - This is the guide I used. Very simple.
"Official" Github Install Guide - A bit more in-depth than Lifehacker's.

That will get your RetroPie up and running. Here are a few other tweaks and features that will make it more enjoyable.

Overclocking:
If you're gonna be playing N64 games it's highly advisable to overclock your Pi for better performance. Here are a few links to get you started. It may seem daunting but it's pretty easy to set up.

https://github.com/retropie/retropie-setup/wiki/Overclocking
https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/Optimization-for-Nintendo-64
Twitch0815's N64-Optimized OC settings - These are the settings I use.
N64 Game Compatibility List w/ OC'd Pi

Overlays:
Overlays are images that are run over top of the video (hence overlay). They're simple to install and a scanline overlay can drastically improve the picture quality of retro systems on modern flatscreen TVs. One drawback to them is that it makes the video a little darker (because in essence the overlay is just a bunch of horizontal black lines to mimic an old CRT TV) but it's a worthy tradeoff in my opinion. Here's how to get one running, as well as a video of the differences.

RP Video Manager

ROMs:
I use emuparadise.

Scrapers:
Scrapers gather a list of all of your games and download the artwork and info for them. Makes for a nice and polished looking setup. I like using Sselph's Scraper Script. You can access it from the RetroPie tools script.

Themes:
There are a ton of themes out there to suit your eye. I personally just use the stock theme, but you can Google and find a bunch of them. They're easy to install.

This may all seem super tedious and time consuming, but if you set aside some time on a weekend you can easily be up and running in a few hours. If you're computer savvy you'll be up and running in no time. I set mine up after work one night and was playing Super Mario World like 2 hours later.

Any other questions feel free to PM me and I'll try to help out as best I can.

good looks fam :pimp: :pimp:

Looking through Nick's post about Raspberry Pi and this thing sounds legit :wow: may ask a tech savvy friend of mine if he wants to work with me on this.

Back
Top Bottom