The RETRO Gaming Thread!

My first memory is FuncoLand at the mall. I believe we got Super Mario World or something there.

I remember my pops taking me and my older bro to K-Mart, we got The Legend of Zelda - A Link to the Past (Player’s Choice) & Jurassic Park for SNES. We also got Super Mario All-Stars from a flea market.

My sister used to take me to Toys R Us on my bday, got me Pocket Bomberman (GBC) and Mario Party 2.

After I was able to save some pocket change (from Lunar New Year) we’d hit up a local store called Knight’s Video Games and got a bunch of used N64 controllers, sadly it closed not too long after that era.

I’d get most of my used N64 games from Gamestop (some with SNES trade-ins) —The Legend of Zelda - Ocarina of Time, Perfect Dark, NBA Jam, Turok 2, etc. I was on the late train for those

Last edited:
Idk where else it was, but definitely was copping games from Funcoland back in the days before game stop took over out here in NYC.
Toys R Us as well as little mom and pop stores

Idk where else it was, but definitely was copping games from Funcoland back in the days before game stop took over out here in NYC.
Toys R Us as well as little mom and pop stores
Was cleaning out my drawer last week and found a Toys R Us gift card from 2013 I believe. Looks like as of 18' they can no longer be used, smh at me.

I used to get my games from 2 spots. Toys R Us or this rental chain store called 20/20 Video. I miss both spots as they no longer around :ohwell:

Anyway, if some of you still own or play the NES-mini, SNES-mini, Wii or Wii U....check your local 99Cent store as they carry MyArcade turbo controllers for $4.99. You’re saving about$15-$20
C2D635CD-49FD-4C04-89E2-EEDFBCCD527B.jpeg

My first job was at TRU and I worked at an EB in Tallahassee for about 6 months.
That’s cool. Did they ever let you get first dibs on action figure or video game stuff? Some of the old employees I knew in my local one got jobs there just to get Hot Wheels or other toys right out of the shipments and flip them on eBay, lol.

That’s cool. Did they ever let you get first dibs on action figure or video game stuff? Some of the old employees I knew in my local one got jobs there just to get Hot Wheels or other toys right out of the shipments and flip them on eBay, lol.
Yea we did. When ps2 came out the was a wall of blue boxes in the “RZone” closet. We had employees that reserved it and end up not even buying it. Knowing the way the store was ran, those boxes were probably still there when PS3 came out. I didn’t even know Hot Wheels collecting was a thing and serious business. I forget what day, but there was a specific day HWs came in. Rednecks would be there at opening. We would have them in a big bin. They would come in in the morning, empty out the bin and sit on the floor and go through them all.

^ KB toys is where i copped everything from toys to videogames
I loved KB. Thinking back though, I don’t think I ever bought a game there because all that stuff stayed behind the counter in the display case. Never bothered to ask.

Yea we did. When ps2 came out the was a wall of blue boxes in the “RZone” closet. We had employees that reserved it and end up not even buying it. Knowing the way the store was ran, those boxes were probably still there when PS3 came out. I didn’t even know Hot Wheels collecting was a thing and serious business. I forget what day, but there was a specific day HWs came in. Rednecks would be there at opening. We would have them in a big bin. They would come in in the morning, empty out the bin and sit on the floor and go through them all.
Yeah, they probably were still there for the PS3 era like you said. I’ve seen a video of some guy digging under the store shelves looking for hidden or forgotten toys....the guy found 2 super dusty N64 video games in their original sealed boxes, lol.

:rofl: @ those grown men sitting on the floor sorting through all those Hot Wheels. I’ve seen them run to the aisles trying to look for “treasure hunt” cars and almost coming to blows over it. My local store resorted to punching holes on the cards the toys came in so they’d be less valuable and collectors wouldn’t buy them.

Back
Top Bottom