The RETRO Gaming Thread!

SM2 definitely holds a special place for me. I remember my neighbor friend had it and we'd spend so much time playing it one summer when I was like 5 or 6. Also used to enjoy going to the library in my elementary days to see if they had the latest Nintendo Power issue yet and what games they'd be previewing.

Question, when you guys played level games like Mario did you switch with friends after a level even if you beat it or play til you died? Had some friends insist on passing the sticks only after dying and others who insisted on switching even if you beat the level. I always thought it was more fair after beating a level considering you could have a few others waiting their turn.
I would alter with my cousin or friends. Some games were so hard, you HAD to get another shot.

Most memorable for me definitely the bit wars with SNES vs Genesis and then N64 vs PS1. I was in 6-8th grade during height of the ladder rivalry, I had an N64 but often times wished I'd opted for the PS1, so many classics on both consoles. The PS1 library is massive but so many of those games aged terribly.

Might have to finally cop a PS4 now that they are putting the ps, P2, and PS3 catalog on the cloud $119 a year is a grip but not that bad compared to price of new games

etab-madden-22.jpg

Man...I recently picked up GTA V again (I know it's not retro but hear me out). And when I sit back and think about it, that series has to be top 3 all-time. As a child, when I played most of the games mentioned in this thread, I can vividly remember having the discussions "they need to make a game that does x" or "what if you could do y in a game". Rockstar basically took those imagined thoughts and exceeded them, by FAR.

Sorry for getting sentimental fellas :lol:

On a related note, were any of the GTA knock-off games any good? Simpsons: Hit & Run was superb, but I never paid attention to the others.

Man...I recently picked up GTA V again (I know it's not retro but hear me out). And when I sit back and think about it, that series has to be top 3 all-time. As a child, when I played most of the games mentioned in this thread, I can vividly remember having the discussions "they need to make a game that does x" or "what if you could do y in a game". Rockstar basically took those imagined thoughts and exceeded them, by FAR.

On a related note, were any of the GTA knock-off games any good? Simpsons: Hit & Run was superb, but I never paid attention to the others.

Sleeping Dogs is pretty good and definitely worth checking out. There's a remastered edition that ups the quality a bit and it's available on all nearly all platforms. It's not as open and large as GTA but story and gameplay are good.

Also agree with Sleeping Dogs. Very underrated game. Made by the True Crime people I think, another fun series

Early Saints Row games were cool

Just Cause games are pretty fun

GTA 3 is one of the most influential games ever

Back
Top Bottom