The RETRO Gaming Thread!

I beat Double Dragon 1 and 2 on NES. Never played three. The arcade version was horrible.

I could never land in Top Gun. Definitely one of the most difficult games on the consoles. But there are many.
I was only able to land consistently many years later in the university. got the old console with me and the game. a geek friend of mine taught me the trick. but man, the stages gets tough after Stage 2. lots of missiles. no, I wasn't able to finish the game. too tough for me.

it's a NinJa Gaiden game. it's so good that it gives you fits of rage. that's the point. although I was fine playing it. as far as a game sending me to a fit of annoyance....

That game was usually on discount for as low as $7.99 back in the day. My pops wanted to get it for me but I had rented it a few weeks before and said “no thanks”. I could never land the plane so I quit after a few times and went outside to play.

That game was usually on discount for as low as $7.99 back in the day. My pops wanted to get it for me but I had rented it a few weeks before and said “no thanks”. I could never land the plane so I quit after a few times and went outside to play.
other than the landing, it was awesome for a simulation aircraft game.

tumblr_pdi9npmQ2P1rrftcdo1_1280 (1).jpg

PS3 and PS5 being "pretty much the same thing" is a wild statement lmao. Yeah the graphic jumps aren't nearly as advances as before, but I don't see how anyone that owned both can say that lmao.

PS3 and PS5 being "pretty much the same thing" is a wild statement lmao. Yeah the graphic jumps aren't nearly as advances as before, but I don't see how anyone that owned both can say that lmao.
Nah. I disagree with that opinion with regards to the console. the capability of the PS3 won't be so efficient nor sufficient as to handling the extensive real-world interactive environment that a PS5 could with the newer games. although I would have agreed if the comparison was that to the PS4 vs. the PS5. people might be playing the same game but there is definitely a difference as far as the gamer experience is concerned in terms of visuals.

There was definitely a bias against 2D for a while back in the day. Game Players was the biggest offender. Game Fan was the only mag to not go hardcore anti 2D that I read.

Remember Castlevania SOTN getting only okay reviews from a few places. Funny how games like it are still played today. Most of the blocky looking 3D mess from the PS1/Saturn era are long forgotten.

There was definitely a bias against 2D for a while back in the day. Game Players was the biggest offender. Game Fan was the only mag to not go hardcore anti 2D that I read.

Remember Castlevania SOTN getting only okay reviews from a few places. Funny how games like it are still played today. Most of the blocky looking 3D mess from the PS1/Saturn era are long forgotten.
there was definitely bias. I prefer the colorful 2d Sprites over the empty 3D environment in the late 90s. 3D was still in it's infancy and even during the PS3/XBOX 360 era, it was still showing some limitations of 3D modeling. intricate details were not that yet mainstream nor the availability of better 3D modeling softwares were almost non-existent. added that hardware limitations is also a factor.
before, it was amazing to see those 3D games. looking back now, you can clearly see how outdated they are and almost make someone lose appetite for playing such old 3D games. I still have old 3D games which I haven't played and depending on how they would look and perform on-screen if I'm going to keep them in storage or not.

It’s tough to play PS1 era 3D games today.

Street Fighter 3, Alpha 2, Yoshi’s Island, SoTN all look amazing today.
oh goodness, can't even imagine playing NBA Live, Virtua Fighter, Dead or Alive, Resident Evil 1,2,3 , Final Fantasy 7,8,9,X , Metal Gear Solid, Nascar now. even PS2 games look outdated. just look at God of War on PS2. anyway, I'm just glad that they have remastered some of the classics.

Just had a convo with my coworkers on how PS1/N64 games aged poorly last night.
alot of consoles aged poorly…but some aged nicely and/or are better than the consoles of today…

1. snes
2. dreamcast
3. nes
4. ps3

are all pretty awesome and can bang with the best even without an internet connection…you can even play legit gun games if you have a crt

The new PlayStation premium starts today. I had a year sub, haven't got a chance to go home and see what all you get with the roll over yet tho

Like how crappy the polygon look nowadays and how awful Goldeneye control is.
I love FF7 to death. but I have to agree, it looks so dated now. especially with the remake being out. the remaster don't even looked that good. someone did an unofficial mod and it looked acceptable.

Attachments

• 1577454640_Final-Fantasy-VII-comparison-between-the-original-and-remake-characters-1200x900.jpg
    1577454640_Final-Fantasy-VII-comparison-between-the-original-and-remake-characters-1200x900.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 128
Back
Top Bottom