The RETRO Gaming Thread!

Resident_Evil_4_remake_cover_art.jpg

Nintendo fumbled hard on advertising the Wii U and also messed up on the name. For the longest time I thought Wii U was just an upgrade to Wii, not it’s own console which I think a lot of other people thought as well. Nintendo had fire games for it as we see a ton of its game ports to the Switch being successful. Only good thing about the Wii U being a flop is how cheap they can be had for. I accidentally won one on eBay for under $200 with 6 games, a pro controller, and 2 Wii motes after placing a bid and forgetting about the auction lol.
regardless of the imperfection rather limitation of the Wii U, it paved the way for the Switch. I remember when I would wish that I can bring the GamePad everywhere I go and play. I remember that I had to bring my N3DS for such an endeavor which was good at it's time. just felt bad for my N3DS and Wii U collecting dust nowadays. biggest gripe about the Wii U is the very limited/short connectivity it had away from it's dock and the game discs can be easily damaged and cannot be reimbursed/replaced by Nintendo and not providing a digital download especially for the price you pay for them. a few criticism was the color/bit depth, resolution, storage capacity and the cheapish materials they used on it. other than those, felt the system overall was solid. too bad the developers moved away from and and seldom supported it. I didn't find any major hiccups as far as graphics and performance is concerned.

Check your local thrift stores for games. I picked up a Wii U with two games for $55 at Salvation Army. One was Super Smash bros. and a Zelda Windwaker remake. Total steal!
I got tired of asking around for games when I first got it. Actually got laughed at in a couple of video game stores when I asked about used Wii U games. I never had a Wii so it’s been fun grabbing used Wii games on the low for it though.

I got tired of asking around for games when I first got it. Actually got laughed at in a couple of video game stores when I asked about used Wii U games. I never had a Wii so it’s been fun grabbing used Wii games on the low for it though.
That’s odd, I’ve never heard anything bad about the Wii U except their library of games being short. My local game stores have a big selection but I do t like to drop more than $10 for a game. The thrift stores have spoiled me in that I usually pay $1-$3 per title. Keep checking the thrift stores though, either way you come up on Wii games as well so it’s just a matter of time before you come across a nice collection.

That’s odd, I’ve never heard anything bad about the Wii U except their library of games being short. My local game stores have a big selection but I do t like to drop more than $10 for a game. The thrift stores have spoiled me in that I usually pay $1-$3 per title. Keep checking the thrift stores though, either way you come up on Wii games as well so it’s just a matter of time before you come across a nice collection.
Wii U came at a bad time when console fanboyism was at it's peak. the abysmal sales made the console look bad but for me, I enjoyed it a lot more than the Wii. it was a victim of poor marketing, Nintendo's greed of trying to maximize profit by using cheap materials and poor aesthetics and unpolished potential. it also didn't help that 3rd party game developers abandoned the system. it was better graphically and performance wise compared to the Wii but could have been better. the only bad that I can think of is it's portability was really limited and made people go for the N3DS which was an amazing portable/handheld gaming console.

sneeker sneeker well said. I just think it sucks that game store employees speak badly about the console. That’s a poor way to treat a customer. My local store never does that, in fact they give me advice and hold certain games for me for older consoles like Colecovision, Intellivision and Atari 2600.

Took a break after covid spiked the market. Think im ready to jump back in

Noticing a lot of games i was trying to get are getting remastered on switch. Going to try for ones that have little or no chance to get remastered

Man, I am SUPER late but all of these 2D Mario games post GameCube look good. Been watching YouTube videos of many and I had no clue they were like THAT.

I kinda want to work my way backwards to experience them.

Back
Top Bottom