The "Smart" Home/Home Improvement Thread

Will be moving into a home soon and had some questions in regards to updating the home into a more technological "Smart" home. It is an older home, but would like to get some modern amenities into it.

During Amazon Prime Day, I bought a couple echos and hues to try to get it started, but won't be moving into the house for about a month or so. Just trying to spend a couple weeks doing the updates and figuring things out before we fully move in.

What would you say is the important things to get done first or ranking the things you use most often that has made your home more convenient to you? First for me would be an alarm setup w/ some monitoring - any recommendations?
I know people have brought up Frontpoint (cellular monitoring and DIY) and Simplisafe, but was seeing on if anyone else has had any thoughts?

Then setting up all the Amazon stuff I got as well as maybe a digital themostat (nest?) and imaging (ring doorbell/arlo?)

As we get more info, I'll update the post with details and the info (links, DIY, etc).

I use Vivint for most of my stuff. Doorbell camera especially clutch

First thing I would do before the technology bit would be to rewire the house since you said it's a older joint.

First thing I would do before the technology bit would be to rewire the house since you said it's a older joint.

#1 priority right here

We just moved in to our first home 2 weeks ago. Its new but im also looking in to some things, mainly for security. Idc too much for "smart" home stuff. Theyre nice but im just not that in to it.

Congrats on the house OP

You can't be too safe, I would definitely get a home security system. Check with your neighbors to see what systems they have. A good majority of the houses on our street have Post Alarm so they don't mind sending security to drive around our block.

Ring Doorbell is also a great investment. I just bought some Nest Flood Lights so hopefully those work as well as the DropCam. There's also an app called NextDoor that many of your neighbors might be on, just a forum based on where you live.

I can so close to buying the google home yesterday...joint seems so dope.

I'm def bout to look into the nest.

Make sure you do your homework on your home alarm system. I hate mines.

Purchased ecobee for my thermostat and have a Ring doorbell.

Only been using ecobee for a couple months and it is a digital thermostat. It was nice to be able to control it while I was away on vacation. Nothing worse than coming back to a super hot house.

Ring doorbell is DOPE! I would get the Pro version. Great to see what is going on at my front door at all times.

I agree. With wiring an older home (1 story) you think it's better to DIY or just bite the bullet and pay someone to wire it up? I've lived in newer homes with a "box" and Ethernet connections mostly in each room. Would you say that's about the same setup I would have to install?

Don't do vivint. Just get a ring or a dlink wifi cam setup. There's always something out there dirt cheap. Vivint requires like a 42 month agreement now or something crazy with no buyout

As of now I have a few things.

Smartthings hub

Z wave dimming lamp module with both living rooms lamps connected to it

3 zwave dimmer switches to control dining room chandelier, living room light and kitchen lights

Zwave front door deadbolt with keypad

Google home for voice control

Nest thermostat

For anyone looking to do their lighting I don't recommend getting expensive smart bulbs, yes they have cool colors but zwave switches are cheaper and less headache when wifi goes down or is spotty. Also while I love my nest thermostat and the way it looks if your the type that doesn't really fiddle with the temps I find a basic 20 dollar programmable thermostat does the job fine

As of now I have a few things.

Smartthings hub

Z wave dimming lamp module with both living rooms lamps connected to it

3 zwave dimmer switches to control dining room chandelier, living room light and kitchen lights

Zwave front door deadbolt with keypad

Google home for voice control

Nest thermostat

For anyone looking to do their lighting I don't recommend getting expensive smart bulbs, yes they have cool colors but zwave switches are cheaper and less headache when wifi goes down or is spotty. Also while I love my nest thermostat and the way it looks if your the type that doesn't really fiddle with the temps I find a basic 20 dollar programmable thermostat does the job fine

Appreciate the info. So you wouldn't rely on something like a Phillips hue? That was my only reservation about all this wifi technology. Sometimes wifi goes out etc which is normal and has to be reset.

As for the nest and digital thermostats it does seem more of a visual thing but the ability to do everything through the phone on your way home etc is appealing. These programmable deadbolts for doors with keypads, hackable?

Appreciate the info. So you wouldn't rely on something like a Phillips hue? That was my only reservation about all this wifi technology. Sometimes wifi goes out etc which is normal and has to be reset.

As for the nest and digital thermostats it does seem more of a visual thing but the ability to do everything through the phone on your way home etc is appealing. These programmable deadbolts for doors with keypads, hackable?

The hue bulbs are very nice but they are expensive and rely on wifi. If you get a zwave switch to control a bulb or bulbs you can use a normal led lightbulb and even if the internet is down you still can control the light because it is wired to the switch or lamp module.

And yes the deadbolt is probably hackable as anything connected to the internet is so there always is a risk there. Luckily I live in a great neighborhood so I take the chance

Don't do vivint. Just get a ring or a dlink wifi cam setup. There's always something out there dirt cheap. Vivint requires like a 42 month agreement now or something crazy with no buyout
just got the email today that we can finally close on my house (2 looooooooooong months since the offer).

looking at dlink set ups- if someone breaks in these set-ups dont alert the police; is that correct? since im assuming theyll notify you if there's trouble, is there a way to notify the police if someone breaks in?

make sure u get that wiring game up to par in the bathroom so you can invest in a Toto toilet. Game Changer.

The only effort I put into technology was a USB outlet :rofl: :rofl:

Thermostat is programmable and I keep my temp at a constant.

I will install dimming switches and the like when I replace / install ceiling fans and new fixtures.

I've went back and forth on whether I want to install an alarm. Neighborhood is relatively quite though and both neighbors are retired, plus I have two dogs who go nuts if someone is even in sight. Better safe than sorry though, I suppose.

Actually the home has a dimmer already, one of the sliding ones. Not worth the hassle of ZWave?

And yeah, security is more so for ease of mind for the significant other. But always good to have.

Possibly moving into a home soon, it's empty.

Pay for pest control to come out and spray or would it be a do it yourself type of thing before I get things in?

I would pay someone to make sure it's done correctly and you don't die from over spraying

Have this Amcrest wireless monitoring unit.
images
Like it better than the Arlo as its base has to be connected to your modem with ethernet cable. The cameras are wireless but don't like that uses a rechargeable battery. The camera "head" is held by a magnet mount so if you install it outdoor at a height where someone can steal/mess with it, they can. The Amcrest just connects to power outlet, set up the wireless and app, viola. It's in my living room/kitchen so you need to put another where you need it but I still prefer it over the Arlo.

Last edited:
Not OP but I recently purchased a house and renovated it to my liking.

I had Lutron wireless switches installed on almost every light fixture to be able to control the lights from my iPhone.

I also got the Ecobee 4 Smart Thermostat and the Ring Floodlights with camera and Ringdoor Bell. I had to be a ring wireless extender chime to improve the performance of the Ring products but so far everything’s been great.

All the above products were compatible with Apple products which is why I went ahead with them since my personal devices are all Apple.

Back
Top Bottom