The Sopranos. Worth watching?

The shield is not realistic. Sopranos def more realistic than the shield. All good shows tho, the wire takes the realistic cake.

Sopranos is one of those shows where you really had to watch it when it first aired. Watching it after the fact, after all the changes we've seen in primetime television, is really difficult. The show is very slow and drawn out. In a day and age where most shows give instant gratification almost every episode watching the Sopranos can feel very dull. The acting and story are top notch but you have to have some free time and kinda get yourself into the mood to watch it.
Drawn out? Maybe. Slow? Hell no. I could and can easily watch 2-3 episodes back to back and be entertained. For you to say it's slow just tells me you weren't entertained and didn't appreciate the drama and dark humor.
The show is absolutely slow, there's no denying. As someone mentioned earlier the show often focuses on the everyday and mundane things, which gives great perspective but also can feel tedious when watching. After a while watching Tony fawn over whatever cold cuts are in the fridge gets old. Heck Tony's scenes with his shrink seem to go on forever sometimes. The substance between the violence is what makes Sopranos great though. You understand every step of the way why things happen. But like I said before, in an era where most shows provide instant gratification its hard to go back and watch the Sopranos imo. Jack Bauer can do more in one day than Tony Soprano in an entire season.

It's like an ad for a ****** weight loss center. Before, and waay before.

Since we're talking about a bunch of different shows and how they compare...... Fargo is quickly becoming one of my favorite series.... I really hope they do a 2nd season.

the wire

the sopranos

the shield

i think the shield and the wire are the most realistic of the 3 but you cant beat the sopranos

all are all worth watching

the question i want to know how is breaking bad
never saw an episode

how is it compared to the 3 shows above
better than all 3,sopranos type slow failed ending,shield very good show,ok acting,story didnt end as great as the show was same with sopranos,nt loves the wire but its not as great as people say,season 2 was weak and the ending felt rushe

breaking bad however is the goat,great story not as good acting as sopranos but storyline and action and just the whole philosophy of the show is/was on another level.and ending was 
pimp.gif

One of my favorite scenes from the show. God I love The Sopranos

When I was a senior in college I downloaded every season and binge watched them. It was a fantastic staple in my life and great way to kill time when I wasn't partying or doing class stuff.

I get a little emotional thinking about the show and the ending. Loved it. So many great lessons and hours of culture, entertainment, and social commentary both past and present.

for any of you douting the lessons in the Sopranos, peep the following. Great show man!

6 money lessons from 'The Sopranos'

1. There's money to be made in any economy.
Tony Soprano, complaining that his captains aren't bringing in more money: "Sil, break it down for them. What two businesses have traditionally been recession-proof since time immemorial?"

Silvio Dante: "Certain aspects of show business . . . and our thing."

Tony: "Now, that's it. That's all I've gotta say. Frankly, I'm depressed and ashamed."

2. Invest in land.
Tony talking to his son: "Buy land, A.J., 'cause God ain't making any more of it."

3. Being the boss is lonely.
Tony: "All due respect, you got no (expletive) idea what it's like to be No. 1. Every decision you make affects every facet of every other (expletive) thing. It's too much to deal with almost. And in the end you're completely alone with it all."

4. Make up your mind and stick with it.
Tony: "A wrong decision is better than indecision."

5. Delegate.
Tony to one of his men: "It's your job to make my job easier."

6. Pick up the tab and smile.
Tony to Christopher Moltisanti: "You know how many tabs, how many dinners, I've picked up over the years? . . . It's a sign of respect. Why don't you cheer up? One day some kid will be paying for your dinners."

There would b no walter white without tony soprano
Definitely true, in a sense.  Tony was the first mainstream "bad" guy that you kinda cheered on.  He made it cool for the masses to love a homicidal, law-breaking, selfish, ego maniac and feel okay about it.  

The Wire
There would b no walter white without tony soprano

Definitely true, in a sense.  Tony was the first mainstream "bad" guy that you kinda cheered on.  He made it cool for the masses to love a homicidal, law-breaking, selfish, ego maniac and feel okay about it.  

it's true. They were both absolute monsters created by family, circumstance, and their own greed. Fascinating characters

Whyd I read the spoiler. That gets two Thumbs down...in her booty...

First time watching. Almost done with season 2

I finally watched the show earlier this year (thank you amazon prime) and I don't know if it's just cause I'm late (it did end 7 years ago) and it was a lot more relevant and groundbreaking back then but overall I came away feeling very disappointed. I was expecting the G.O.A.T television show, or at least one of them but all in all I felt that it was overrated. It's still very good television but between the finale and some of the more useless storylines (vito, later on with A.J. I'll try not to spoil anything) it got kind of held back.

Worth watching though. 

I finally watched the show earlier this year (thank you amazon prime) and I don't know if it's just cause I'm late (it did end 7 years ago) and it was a lot more relevant and groundbreaking back then but overall I came away feeling very disappointed. I was expecting the G.O.A.T television show, or at least one of them but all in all I felt that it was overrated. It's still very good television but between the finale and some of the more useless storylines (vito, later on with A.J. I'll try not to spoil anything) it got kind of held back.

Worth watching though. 

Yeah, watching it 15 years after it debuted is definitely different than watching it when it was new. It's still a great show, but after re-watching, it doesn't hold up as well as I anticipated. Maybe it's because its a different time, maybe it's because other shows have stepped up to the plate and there are so many other extremely well written programs out today.

On the 2nd viewing one thing became apparent to me, Tony is the only character that matters. There were so many great characters in the series, but everything was always about Tony and exclusively Tony. This works well when the show is hot and people are enveloped in the hype, but watching it all once the dust has settled lead me to realize that this was by far the programs largest error. Towards the latter part of the series long time characters were getting whacked left and right and the writers never even gave much closure to their stories, one episode down the line and it was like they had never even existed. The focus was exclusively on Tony. While this works well to capture and hold interest for the viewers first viewing, it doesn't give the show much re-watch ability value... especially once you already know how it all pans out for Tony in the end.

Supporting characters are just as important as the protagonist and while The Sopranos had some great supporting characters, the writers rarely used their story arcs to their advantage. IMO the best episode is the one where Paulie and Chris get lost in the woods and Tony wasn't even in that episode but for 3 minutes. Tony was the recognizable leading man and and HBO writers used him and his story as the main attraction to garner viewers, but in the end I feel this came at the expense of the series as a whole.

late pass for me, but i actually just started this show up recently... been meaning to watch it for a while. so far so good :pimp:

btw, AJ Soprano is the most sockable character of all time. All he did all series was whine and cry like a little *****

At least Meadow became less bratty toward the end of the series

My favorite Sopranos Scenes:

1. The Intervention when Chris gets stomped out
2. Paulie finding out his mom was really his aunt.
3. John and Tony running from the cops after the meet at John's house
4. Chris stomping out his movie producer friend when he owed him money
5. Chris and Paulie killing the waiter

There are zero consequences when you're the boss.

Except having a naggy wife, dumb son, and coked out nephew.

Back
Top Bottom