The State of the Shoe Game

I've been collecting kicks since my first pair of Jordan's back in 1989, when my mom gave me $100 for school clothes and I used it to buy some white T's and a pair of Jordan III's (on clearance). I rocked them everyday like they were going out of style.  Every year since I have looked forward to each and every new release with excitement and anticipation. 
I experienced my first line-up in 1995, as a Champs employee, when I witnessed 50 people waiting for the Jordan XI release. The line started a couple of hours before the store opened and everyone received a pair. Times were simple and the culture was entrenched with respect and admiration for other sneaker collectors. 

The sneaker game began to change when eBay and the internet started to play a bigger role in the direction of the culture. By 2001 eBay was in full swing and selling fakes on eBay was big business. This really crippled the game for many sneakerheads, including myself, who were duped into buying fake Jordan from eBay sellers. EBay has since put into place some rules and guidelines to protect buyers from these counterfeiters, however, the site is still riddled with all kinds of fakes and counterfeits. Even with these crappy fakes out there the sneaker culture among collectors still had dignity. 
Now its safe to say that sneaker collecting is addicting. It embodies all the qualities of addiction and is problematic if not carefully monitored. As collectors, we can't wait for the next release and we're willing to do some crazy things to get them. What is sad, is there are some people out there who see this as an opportunity to exploit us for personal gain.

More recently (over the past 3 years) the culture has taken an ugly turn for the worst. What use to be a culture of comradery is now tainted with greedy, selfish people who are willing to exploit anyone for a few bucks. In particular, resellers have taken over and tainted the culture. Most of these resellers do not collect sneakers at all. Now, all of us have sold a shoe we copped, because we were unable to get our size or we decided we didn't like it. Thats an admirable sale, but the idea of buying multiple pairs to resell them to other sneakerheads for high marked-up prices is trashy and violates all of my personal morals. Anyone who rapes one of their fellow sneaker brethren with inflated pricing for personal gain is sorry! I equate them with a drug dealer who sells drugs to their own family and neighbors claiming their actions are a legitimate hustle. All I have to say is watch out for these people in any aspect of life because their morals are weak and they will easily stab their own mom in the back if they thought it would benefit them.

A couple of years ago I showed up 12 hrs before a release to cop a highly coveted shoe. I was lucky enough to get my pair, but some people didn't get theirs and their was havoc at the event. I had never experienced this kind of behavior at a sneaker release. Some people said they had been there since the night before, but had taken off. A group of us never saw them and we were there the whole time expect for the occasional bathroom break. Today some people think they can leave a chair days before, go home, to come back to their spot in line. Even worse is the group of five people who think they can have one person hold spots for all five of them. Thats NO respect for the culture or fellow sneakerheads. The rest of the line up needs to unite and through them out! Just because your getting your pair doesn't mean you shouldn't stand up for whats right.

There are still a few real collectors out there who appreciate the game and I have nothing but the most admiration and respect for you. Unfortunately, we are being forced out by Nike and Jordan's crappy marketing antics of Hype, Diminished Quality, Quick Strikes and limited releases, which has resulted in the creation of these morally corrupt resellers and hypebeasts. I blame these companies, however, we have also contributed to this by allowing it to happen. We need to realize that this is our culture and even though they produce the products we decide what we want, not them! These companies are not the creators of our culture, we are. 

I know most of this is my own personal rant from my recent experience with the past few releases, but I would like to take this to the next level. At this point in my life I'm still a sneaker collector as well as an anthropologist at a research one university. My next project focuses on American Modern Material Culture where I plan to examine our culture for all of the good and bad it has endured over the years. I hope to bring to the forefront the issues that plague our culture today and hopefully provide a new direction for the future of sneaker collection. 

I'd like to hear from the Niketalk community. What do you think about how the culture has changed and where you'd like to see it go.

Whats new? Since 2005 of the Pigeon Release. Nike has changed and is all about marketing hype. Instead of making a shoe in a quantity where ever consumer is happy they limit so those who are left out are looking forward to the next release or waiting for the re-release. Re-sellers and hypbeast come through and snatch up 50 pairs of the shoes for selling at HIGH ebay prices and to look cool. Sneaker collecting is not what it used to be.

OP is correct. That is why I'm mostly retired. I'm not willing to put up with the crap that comes with trying to buy shoes now.

Originally Posted by I MRDR PEEPS 4 FUN

I've been collecting kicks since my first pair of Jordan's back in 1989, when my mom gave me $100 for school clothes and I used it to buy some white T's and a pair of Jordan III's (on clearance). I rocked them everyday like they were going out of style.  Every year since I have looked forward to each and every new release with excitement and anticipation. 
I experienced my first line-up in 1995, as a Champs employee, when I witnessed 50 people waiting for the Jordan XI release. The line started a couple of hours before the store opened and everyone received a pair. Times were simple and the culture was entrenched with respect and admiration for other sneaker collectors. 

The sneaker game began to change when eBay and the internet started to play a bigger role in the direction of the culture. By 2001 eBay was in full swing and selling fakes on eBay was big business. This really crippled the game for many sneakerheads, including myself, who were duped into buying fake Jordan from eBay sellers. EBay has since put into place some rules and guidelines to protect buyers from these counterfeiters, however, the site is still riddled with all kinds of fakes and counterfeits. Even with these crappy fakes out there the sneaker culture among collectors still had dignity. 
Now its safe to say that sneaker collecting is addicting. It embodies all the qualities of addiction and is problematic if not carefully monitored. As collectors, we can't wait for the next release and we're willing to do some crazy things to get them. What is sad, is there are some people out there who see this as an opportunity to exploit us for personal gain.

More recently (over the past 3 years) the culture has taken an ugly turn for the worst. What use to be a culture of comradery is now tainted with greedy, selfish people who are willing to exploit anyone for a few bucks. In particular, resellers have taken over and tainted the culture. Most of these resellers do not collect sneakers at all. Now, all of us have sold a shoe we copped, because we were unable to get our size or we decided we didn't like it. Thats an admirable sale, but the idea of buying multiple pairs to resell them to other sneakerheads for high marked-up prices is trashy and violates all of my personal morals. Anyone who rapes one of their fellow sneaker brethren with inflated pricing for personal gain is sorry! I equate them with a drug dealer who sells drugs to their own family and neighbors claiming their actions are a legitimate hustle. All I have to say is watch out for these people in any aspect of life because their morals are weak and they will easily stab their own mom in the back if they thought it would benefit them.

A couple of years ago I showed up 12 hrs before a release to cop a highly coveted shoe. I was lucky enough to get my pair, but some people didn't get theirs and their was havoc at the event. I had never experienced this kind of behavior at a sneaker release. Some people said they had been there since the night before, but had taken off. A group of us never saw them and we were there the whole time expect for the occasional bathroom break. Today some people think they can leave a chair days before, go home, to come back to their spot in line. Even worse is the group of five people who think they can have one person hold spots for all five of them. Thats NO respect for the culture or fellow sneakerheads. The rest of the line up needs to unite and through them out! Just because your getting your pair doesn't mean you shouldn't stand up for whats right.

There are still a few real collectors out there who appreciate the game and I have nothing but the most admiration and respect for you. Unfortunately, we are being forced out by Nike and Jordan's crappy marketing antics of Hype, Diminished Quality, Quick Strikes and limited releases, which has resulted in the creation of these morally corrupt resellers and hypebeasts. I blame these companies, however, we have also contributed to this by allowing it to happen. We need to realize that this is our culture and even though they produce the products we decide what we want, not them! These companies are not the creators of our culture, we are. 

I know most of this is my own personal rant from my recent experience with the past few releases, but I would like to take this to the next level. At this point in my life I'm still a sneaker collector as well as an anthropologist at a research one university. My next project focuses on American Modern Material Culture where I plan to examine our culture for all of the good and bad it has endured over the years. I hope to bring to the forefront the issues that plague our culture today and hopefully provide a new direction for the future of sneaker collection. 

I'd like to hear from the Niketalk community. What do you think about how the culture has changed and where you'd like to see it go.

Couldnt have put it better!! Preech on fam

Very good read. This should be put on Nike. I remember those days my parents would buy me a pair of jays before the school year and before the summer. Me and my friends would pocket lunch money and eat after school to aid to our addiction. And we all worked at a mom and pop store one would run the register, one the deli, and one stocking/cleaning. Owner was my boys dad so we were living the life. Had every single Jordan and the nicest clothes. It's a shame now it's just camping and nerds buying and reselling everything. The only shoes I've ever resold were ones I've had for a while that I don't wear. The shoe game is really disgusting now. I'm buying less and less. Nike is losing their market from the 80s and 90s aka old heads like me.

The game is rigged! (wire voice)

Nike is a master of hype and marketing. only apple is there with them. Its only gonna get worse from here, especially since 90s babies wanna dress like we did when they were in diapers and try to act like they have the same connection with michael we do. The cycle will continue.

I hear you dude, i am getting turned off by recent events lately. Maybe it is a good thing, just have to learn to pass.

wall
of
text
will read and respond later
Ok OP, I read through everything and I definitely agree with you. But the one thing about Nike is, its their job to hype up their own product to the public. Thats what makes them money. The real problem in my eyes is the opposite side of it all - resellers. 

You touched on the resellers and what poison they are actually bringing to the culture, and I agree. I personally think stores should limit purchases to 2 pairs per person, and Nike should make enough pairs to the point where the mass amount of heads and everyday customers can have a chance to buy the shoes. Nike's hype and advertising is all fine, its the supply that bothers me. 

If Nike would release everything as a general release, and actually produce a general release amount of sneakers, the rioting, injuries, and bad media wouldn't even be happening. 

I know for a fact that I cannot go to finishline and be the 50th person in line and still get shoes anymore, its a sad thing but its a thing of the past. We need that era to return. 

We should be able to walk into a store at any time of the day and pick up some kicks. I hate the fact that people actually camp for shoes. I remember when camping meant waiting outside of the mall for an hour or 2 before the mall opened to walk down to footlocker to buy some shoes first thing in the morning. Now you have to sit around all night and days before just to buy a pair of kicks, and its honestly not even worth it. 

Nike isn't the main one responsible for what happened to the culture. They played a big part in it, but even more so than Nike its us the consumers who turned our underground society into a mainstream sellout culture. All of these blogs force feeding kids into sneakers, celebrities saying "if you don't wear these then you're not cool", etc etc. All of these things have kids nowadays thinking "damn man, I have to get these shoes. If I don't, I'm not going to be like *insert favorite rapper here*" or "Dang man, Hypebeast said blah blah blah blah blah. I have to get these new Jordans". The +*$+ is getting ridiculous. when I was in high school, of course I got Jordans because they were the hottest shoes. WHO DIDN'T get them because it was what the cool kids did? Girls LOVE the guy with the nice kicks. We all know how that story ends. But you have kids now, hell #%!% it, you have kids AND ADULTS now who are just buying EVERY release because its new. These motha %#*$$#% don't even like the model/colorway half the damn time. And thats what breeds resellers. 

Our culture has sold out. Point, blank, period. I don't know what we can do to change things, but I do know as of right now the small "underground" culture is dead. 

The other day my younger cousin said his boy wants to trade his DS pair of bordeaux VII's that he only wore once for a pair of playoff VIII's that I gave him around last year. 

What the #%!% is a DS pair that you only wore once? These kids don't even know what the hell they're talking about but they're parading around claiming to be "sneaker heads".

Once I realized where the culture was at that point, I made a goal; To cop the last remaining pairs of grails I have always wanted and then moved on. 

Its gotten to the point where I feel like the thing I used to love so much growing up has been bastardized by social media and internet "news blogs". 

My next hobby? Sportbikes and cars. Straight up. I want a Gixxer 1000. 

I'll always have those select pairs that I might not help but buy in the future, but growing up you loved 2 things about collecting - Having your favorite pairs of shoes, and being a part of a culture that felt like a family in a sense. When I would go to sneaker summits, I felt like I was around a bunch of other guys and chicks that genuinely loved what I loved and had just as much knowledge IF NOT MORE about it than I did. 

But these kids now man, they don't know a damn thing about the culture. They don't know any history but they want to claim that they're part of the culture. Being a sneakerhead and just buying the newest coolest shoes are two completely different things. And thats where the line is often crossed now. 

These kids are hookers and Nike is their pimp. I'm tired of being pimped fam. 

I can live with Nike hyping their own product. Thats called good marketing. 

But I can't live with the lack of supply to meet the demand of us customers. All that does is fuel the other evils that the culture is facing. 

Damn public education I really dont want to read but I feel its necessary to reply ill take my time on this one!lol

I recently had this same discussion with a fellow sneakerhead. Things got really screwed up when the 2011 concords released. And I don't things will improve for a loooong time. The fact that the old royal 10's sold out immediately is a huge indicator. AJ10 or not, an odd ball release like that would have sat around for a long time a couple years ago.

But everyone is trying to cash in. And I mean EVERYONE.

I, along with loads of others that have been around for a while, am just sort of semi retired. Bought Jordan's from 89- 2000, then got into other things. Then came back into it about 2005/6. It was a whole new world.

Most of these new people don't even know what they're buying. I skipped the white/cement 4's because I know what theyll look like after 10 wears.
And I've made a promise I won't buy into nikes BS no matter how much I like the shoe

Sneakerheads be patient, the age of the hype machine / SnapBack / skinny jean will fade, and things will go back to normal.

yea alot of ramdom people who watched the mayhem of the concord release are probably thinking they can cash in on any jordan release from now on, hence why alot of us had to pay resale prices for the 4's. at my footlocker the front of the line was filled with moms and there kids at 6am on a saturday and once they bought there pairs they tried to flip them for 300 to the people waiting. the game is disgusting hopefully it doesn't last, but it most likely will.

People just wanna go with the newest trend
I blame celebs (Wale, DJ Khaled, Rick Ross, Victor Cruz etc) for posting all these pics on twitter and instagram of their kicks
Kids look up to celebs and wanna do what they do and get what they get
You let these so called "sneakerheads" mind control these ignorant people.
The game is under heavy fire right now so I'm waiting it out until the storm passes over hopefully soon

(sorry if I reiterated most of the main point of your post because I will be honest and say I did not read your wall of text
HOWEVER I appreciate your input nonetheless)

Originally Posted by mst9023

yea alot of ramdom people who watched the mayhem of the concord release are probably thinking they can cash in on any jordan release from now on, hence why alot of us had to pay resale prices for the 4's. at my footlocker the front of the line was filled with moms and there kids at 6am on a saturday and once they bought there pairs they tried to flip them for 300 to the people waiting. the game is disgusting hopefully it doesn't last, but it most likely will.
QFT
saw some female buying 4 pairs to resell during the chicago 10 release, and try to flip to people in line. i just sat there like
indifferent.gif
i hope she lost money for that @+@%

PRIME wrote:

You touched on the resellers and what poison they are actually bringing to the culture, and I agree. I personally think stores should limit purchases to 2 pairs per person, and Nike should make enough pairs to the point where the mass amount of heads and everyday customers can have a chance to buy the shoes. Nike's hype and advertising is all fine, its the supply that bothers me. 

If Nike would release everything as a general release, and actually produce a general release amount of sneakers, the rioting, injuries, and bad media wouldn't even be happening. 

I know for a fact that I cannot go to finishline and be the 50th person in line and still get shoes anymore, its a sad thing but its a thing of the past. We need that era to return. 

We should be able to walk into a store at any time of the day and pick up some kicks. I hate the fact that people actually camp for shoes. I remember when camping meant waiting outside of the mall for an hour or 2 before the mall opened to walk down to footlocker to buy some shoes first thing in the morning. Now you have to sit around all night and days before just to buy a pair of kicks, and its honestly not even worth it. 

Nike isn't the main one responsible for what happened to the culture. They played a big part in it, but even more so than Nike its us the consumers who turned our underground society into a mainstream sellout culture. 

I can live with Nike hyping their own product. Thats called good marketing. 

But I can't live with the lack of supply to meet the demand of us customers. All that does is fuel the other evils that the culture is facing. 

I'm right there with you on the control of supply by Nike to drive hype up further. I would have elaborated the same way. There is something called ethics that Nike needs to consider. If people are getting stabbed and shot as a result of this lack of supply, then they should take responsibility in some way. Making money is the goal, but at what cost. Their current mentality puts greed before fellow man and that *!+! makes me sick.  

I, too, would like to see Nike mass-produce popular models like the XI's to completely meet the demand of consumers. That is the only way we can get rid of resellers because, if everyone has their pair, people who scoop up 10+ pairs to resell will be unable to make their profits and the whole "game" can return to the level we all wish it was at. Unfortunately, by limiting production runs, they are able to gain publicity and market appeal without spending a single penny on advertisement, and by doing so, they maximize the amount of profit they can bring in. I'm disappointed that Nike has chosen to follow this route instead of satisfying the overwhelming majority of consumers' wishes and making enough shoes to meet the massive demand.

It's totally fine if they have SOME limited releases, but I feel that shoes like the Concords and Cement 4's shouldn't be so limited as to cause widespread riots around the country, as well as having people get hurt over a pair of shoes. Why should I need to do "homework" to buy a pair of sneakers??

I feel the same was as op as much as collecting can be an addiction its ashamed of what some people have to gothrough to get the item they really want while u notice.some guy about 4 spots infront you buying up the whole.stock

Originally Posted by beerdrum108

I, too, would like to see Nike mass-produce popular models like the XI's to completely meet the demand of consumers. That is the only way we can get rid of resellers because, if everyone has their pair, people who scoop up 10+ pairs to resell will be unable to make their profits and the whole "game" can return to the level we all wish it was at. Unfortunately, by limiting production runs, they are able to gain publicity and market appeal without spending a single penny on advertisement, and by doing so, they maximize the amount of profit they can bring in. I'm disappointed that Nike has chosen to follow this route instead of satisfying the overwhelming majority of consumers' wishes and making enough shoes to meet the massive demand.

It's totally fine if they have SOME limited releases, but I feel that shoes like the Concords and Cement 4's shouldn't be so limited as to cause widespread riots around the country, as well as having people get hurt over a pair of shoes. Why should I need to do "homework" to buy a pair of sneakers??

Call me selfish but I disagree mass producing a sneaker like the XI or III tarnishes the legacy if everyone and their mom has a pair on deck IMO. In a imaginary world Nike would make everyone take a online quiz about the sneaker they are trying to cop to weed out the resellers...
laugh.gif
75% correct and you get to add your sneaker to the cart.... 
roll.gif

Originally Posted by Vaddy

Originally Posted by beerdrum108

Call me selfish but I disagree mass producing a sneaker like the XI or III tarnishes the legacy if everyone and their mom has a pair on deck IMO. In a imaginary world Nike would make everyone take a online quiz about the sneaker they are trying to cop to weed out the resellers...
laugh.gif
75% correct and you get to add your sneaker to the cart.... 
roll.gif
I like this^

Back
Top Bottom