The Talking Head is at it again... Jason Whitlock

in response to a question posed to him about athletes being targets....

9. Removing Sean Taylor from the equation, I'd like to address the growing sentiment among black professional athletes that they are targets of criminals.

People with lots of material possessions - regardless of their color and occupation - are targets of criminals.

If an athlete feels particularly vulnerable, there are precautions he can take that are far more effective than carrying a semi-automatic weapon and travelling with a large posse:
  • Put your money in the bank. Do not walk around with large sums of cash. Never stuff thousands of dollar bills in a trash bag and head to a strip club.
  • Do not invest in large platinum or gold chains that draw attention to you. Diamond-studded watches are not a good idea, either. And neither are gold fronts. If you are headed to a nightclub in a neighborhood with $80,000 homes and you're wearing $100,000 in jewelry, turn around, go home and make it a Blockbuster night.
  • When you are out in public, tell your friends to keep your name out of their mouths. More fights could be prevented if this phrase was outlawed at all clubs: "Do you know who that is?"
  • If you insist on "tricking out" every car you own, don't ride through poor, working-class neighborhoods flossing your new 22s.
    In conclusion, don't paint a bull's-eye on your back. It's disrespectful to flash your wealth and privilege in front of people who have neither. Try to blend into the crowd rather than make yourself the focus of attention.
pimp.gif
.. Scotty Scotch... even you cant hate on that!!!

roll.gif

I finally got around to reading the "Black KKK" article and then read this one. I don't always agree with what the man says or how he deliverswhat his opinion, but he does make some very valid points. Especially that one.

I agree with this 100%. It shouldn't be that way, but it IS that way.

When I know I'll be in a rough hood, I keep it real basic - gear-wise. Bammas may not know that I have some hot kicks, but when they see them fresh and atee and fitted to match, the common hood thought-process renders the idea that "Cuz must' got money".

Originally Posted by Willis03

^Really? No comments?

I guess my biggest problem with that article was that his attack is always on hiphop. The problem with blaming one entity of the larger issue is that mostpeople will take it at face value. If more kids had someone in their life to help explain and decipher some of these lyrics, I think things would be better.Instead, many of these kids end up taking what is being said for face value. "Hustlin' til the sun comes up" is in essence the"graveyard" shift (lol). Some of these topics, no matter how stupid they may sound in rhyme- are too complex for most of these kids.

You also have to look at the "instant gratification" that society has embraced. People don't want stuff now, they want it'right' now. But even drug dealers don't become kingpins overnight. They grind to the "top" just like a Corporate America kathas to. That is why I love "The Wire." If you get nothing else from it, understand that the same hiearchy exists in every facet of society. Peoplework hard and get put on. Some people get recognized, some get passed over. The ishtar is all the same.

Going back to 'hiphop' being the evil empire devouring society, you also have to look at the corporations that are pushing the propaganda. Intelligenceis just a "marketable" as stupidity. Corporations are deciding who gets what. I was watching one of those MTV video channels and they played a GreenDay/ U2 collabo about the N.O. Mos Def made 'Katrina Clap.' Where was his video? At last year's Grammy's The Dixie Chicks took home numerousawards for a politically-tinged album that sold millions. But the Roots can't sell gold?

I say all of this but the artists do have a responsibility in this as well. But blaming one element of the problem gets you where? The f'd part of it is,there are so many different problems on so many different levels that you step back and get overwhelmed with "starting" points.

Finally this fool makes a valid point that can be summed up in one sentence:
"If you have the money to go to clubs that cost $40t a night, why feel the need to go to clubs in the hood?"

Scott, hell yeah. Where are these other video's? I saw the U2 joint called "The Saints"/ While moving, why di they let the whiteboys get theirmessage out and not the hip hop artists? AND I'm a fan of U2 and Green day.

Have you guys been to the NO? When I went in July for the Essence Festival(Also was waaay to many bruh's were in town down there{had me duckin' and anddodgin'} word to Rudolph1996
pimp.gif
) and my uncle took me and the fella's for a tour. IT was pure hell.

And one of my (Ru, you know what's) is a Fema lawyer. We give him hell EVERYDAY about that.

Jason Whitlock is confusing to me. You want to make YOUR people Aware. yet you blast YOUR people and a Culture OF your people.

Why not write about anything else? Why give the people who pay you the satisfaction of knowing they have YOU on THEIR Side ALL the time. Yes.. i know there isalot of wrong with MY people. But I am not ignorant enough to blame Music for it.

I would venture to say those who can't seperate Entertainment from Reality are ignorant of certain things. Ignorant not always meaning stupid or dumb..just ignorant to a fact.

Oh Well..

Speakin on the N.O. For those goin or wanting to go there for the All Star Game.. Many associated will not be doin much...as it just can't handle themasses coming there.

Jordan and Nike aren't doing 1/3 of the stuff they did in Vegas OR PLAN to do next year in Phoenix. many are now flying in for a day MAYBE two to do somebusiness and be out. you take in consideration the Essence Fest had a High Contigent of US there...

Think about this known as the Black Fam Reunion.. Those who were forced out by Katrina will be returning..and all the hood dudes in Texas comin back to pillageand cause chaos... will be MORE than enough reason for folks to be there for as little time as possible.

Vegas with a GILLION Hotels could barely house everyone, and the NO has how many GOOD Hotels? right...

See you all in Phoenix where the Pink Toes will be Plentiful and even my Nubian Sisters will be catching the Sword on some ole Girls Gone Wild on Rockdeep typeof stuff!! lol

Eyes.. Feel free to hit me. I am here til the Morn. In BMore no less near Dundalk

Good points about the N.O. The city needs money, but it damn sure doesn't need the problems that All-Star weekend tends to attract. The izzy could be theulitmate set-up as to why they are doing some of the shady things they are doing down there. Talk about the "proverbial" levee breaking...

Originally Posted by Scott Scotch

Rudo, you have been hainging with Dr. Bro tooooooo long!
roll.gif

roll.gif
Black Republicans.....
pimp.gif

And one of my (Ru, you know what's) is a Fema lawyer. We give him hell EVERYDAY about that.

Thats a damn shame....
laugh.gif
.. he should get in d_____________________ for that nonsense....
laugh.gif

Jason Whitlock is like Bill Cosby they have valid points but it is not what you say it is how you say it.You do not beat somebody down with words to makethem wake up you can show a little finesse and encourage them to change their ways in order to better themselves.

Back
Top Bottom