the thread about nothing...

WDYWT?
IMG_5061.jpeg

Argument in group text tonight…

Is pop a genre of music?

It's a genre, but music from other genres creeps in when it has a more broad appeal, and it floats around over other genres.

This is a super-generic Venn diagram I just drew up in Paint, but I think it's generally something like this, and that central "Pop" circle kinda floats around based on trends and is comprised of more music from a genre or two.

1724383845377.png

Pop isn't necessarily popular or successful. For instance, some Taylor Swift-type or Michael Buble-type musician you've never heard of is making music in that style in an effort to appeal to that broad audience but might never be succesful. And conversely, something very much Rock like Nirvana's "Smells like teen spirit" in the 90's or very much Rap like "Not Like Us" is a cultural phenomenon that grabs a super broad appeal and popularity but is in no way a "Pop" song.

Does that make sense? Did I just spend way too much effort thinking about this near midnight while I'm at work?

Pop and Rock are very broad, so many subgenre.

Absolutely. There obviously isn't any crossover between classical and dance or country either. Diagram was simply meant as a very crude representation of my thought process on how "Pop" kinda hovers around the middle of other distinct styles.

Last edited:
Update: Junior fought valiantly but the paralysis reached critical organs 😞
At least I’m prepared, after all the veterinary said the treatment had a very low chance of succeeding

He will be euthanised this afternoon to save him from the suffering he’d face from dying of organ failure.

Thank you Junior for blessing me with a decade of companionship ❤️
Gone but never forgotten
IMG_6455.jpeg

IMG_4474.jpeg

IMG_1880.jpeg

Argument in group text tonight…

Is pop a genre of music?
There IS a such thing as a pop-sound that just means the music was made with the intent of appealing to mass audiences. (Think music that can be played in Target like a great man once said).

But I don't think it necessarily has a technical base outside of the general essentials it needs. (Gotta dance to it and it should have a catchy sound).

But since any genre CAN be pop, I would say it's not a genre in the way we have rap, country, rock: etc.

In a wrestling sense, I don't think "High Speed" is a wrestling style. But we know matches can be high speed affairs. (See Stardom + WWE Speed).

At least I’m prepared, after all the veterinary said the treatment had a very low chance of succeeding

He will be euthanised this afternoon to save him from the suffering he’d face from dying of organ failure.

Gone but never forgotten
IMG_6455.jpeg

IMG_4474.jpeg

IMG_1880.jpeg
Respect to your man. He seemed to have a rough life. We gotta retire the jersey with Jameson aepps20 aepps20 . Much deserved.

Gone but never forgotten
IMG_6455.jpeg

IMG_4474.jpeg

IMG_1880.jpeg
Sorry to hear that man. I lost one of my cat’s in 2021 and I still get emotional about him every now and then. But I just try thinking of the best times I’ve had with him and it made me cherish my surviving pets even more.

RIP to Junior.😞

Back
Top Bottom