The Timepiece Thread vol: READ THE 1st POST!!!

i prefer no date and if the OP had a fluted bezel + jubilee combo, i probably would have with that option

i believe the older ones had the fluted bezel option but not with a jubilee bracelet

but yeah rolex did great with the new OP39 options

on to opther options, the Cartier Drive Moonphase is also gorgeous, if you visit a Cartier boutique for the Santos, try one of those on too
DriveMoonSteel.jpg

^wow that’s a nice piece! The closest I was to purchasing a Cartier was a Retonde. My everyday attire is casual/sporty (i’m talking adidas jogger pants, ball shorts, t shirts) so idk if that Moonphase would be too dressy. So many beautiful timepieces out there and so little money in my pockets lol

speaking of Seiko's, they just announced Grand Seikos first ̶E̶x̶p̶l̶o̶r̶e̶r̶ ̶2̶ GMT quartz
Grand-Seiko-9F-quartz-GMT-sports.jpg

20180830-img03.jpg

20180830-img04.jpg

20180830-img02.jpg

I stopped by an AD today to check out an explorer 214270. I didn’t realize that model is in high demand also. I guess I should put my name on a list now.

yup, seems like just absolutely anything that's a sport model and steel outside of a Milgauss but even that might not be safe, it might have just been a lucky day when i saw one on display and could have been gone later that day

I stopped by an AD today to check out an explorer 214270. I didn’t realize that model is in high demand also. I guess I should put my name on a list now.
from the reading im doing, all SS models are in very high demand right now

I think Rolex just holding back stock and driving up demand snd prices

I’ll probably just wait it out to buy new because I only plan on buying one Rolex and that’s the Explorer.

Being in high demand or the Rolex holding stock part

rolex holding out stock to create demand

rolex is always in demand especially the sports model in ss, even when they were readily available they command retail for the most part and it is usually the ADs keeping them in the safe creating faux lists, it's not rolex themselves

and now that the market is up and people have spending money from bonuses and up-and-comers and such, ADs have finally sold their hidden stock and waiting for rolex

rolex definitely has some control on the market but they are probably operating at their max as usual but there is no point in increasing production because that will require hiring new watchmakers and training them to their standards and new facilities which will all be useless once the market goes back down

and while they can move some of the current watchmakers to make more ss sports models (though they were probably trained to specialize in the watch their assigned on), it wouldn't be efficient as the tools and machine that creates Subs and GMTs aren't interchangeable with those that makes Cellinis and DJs

they are just going to go by their consistency and make sure they do not have too many resources when the market goes down and the extra-high-demand watches stops selling at the current rate, if/when recession hits, they'll have to lay off people and have empty warehouses that have non-operating machines

it also helps that rolex has no shareholders to answer to so that is how they control the market but i doubt they have thousands of ss models sitting in their warehouse

we also got to keep in mind that the DJs their biggest seller, not just because it's cheaper/their entry-level watch but also some do go for it if the ss sports model aren't there but again i don't think that is rolex doing as ADs has to sell a certain amount of watches so they do not lose their account and they have no control what comes into their store and that is why we have grey markets, they buy up those stock from ADs to make room and look good for the rolex reps

apologies for the long post, i've just really thought about it a lot :lol:

I’ve been reading that AP is doing something somewhat similar in how they’re allocating their watches. You could find a 15400 for $11k-$13k just a few years ago. Now the cheapest ones are the silver dial for $15.5k-ish, but the black, blue, or gray are all above retail at $18k+.

rolex holding out stock to create demand

rolex is always in demand especially the sports model in ss, even when they were readily available they command retail for the most part and it is usually the ADs keeping them in the safe creating faux lists, it's not rolex themselves

and now that the market is up and people have spending money from bonuses and up-and-comers and such, ADs have finally sold their hidden stock and waiting for rolex

rolex definitely has some control on the market but they are probably operating at their max as usual but there is no point in increasing production because that will require hiring new watchmakers and training them to their standards and new facilities which will all be useless once the market goes back down

and while they can move some of the current watchmakers to make more ss sports models (though they were probably trained to specialize in the watch their assigned on), it wouldn't be efficient as the tools and machine that creates Subs and GMTs aren't interchangeable with those that makes Cellinis and DJs

they are just going to go by their consistency and make sure they do not have too many resources when the market goes down and the extra-high-demand watches stops selling at the current rate, if/when recession hits, they'll have to lay off people and have empty warehouses that have non-operating machines

it also helps that rolex has no shareholders to answer to so that is how they control the market but i doubt they have thousands of ss models sitting in their warehouse

we also got to keep in mind that the DJs their biggest seller, not just because it's cheaper/their entry-level watch but also some do go for it if the ss sports model aren't there but again i don't think that is rolex doing as ADs has to sell a certain amount of watches so they do not lose their account and they have no control what comes into their store and that is why we have grey markets, they buy up those stock from ADs to make room and look good for the rolex reps

apologies for the long post, i've just really thought about it a lot :lol:

Rolex definitely has been decreasing supply, so much so that they are sending AD's little covers for the displays so it doesn't look like they're missing so many watches. Talk to your local AD and they will tell you that last year they were getting a submariner every week, and it is now taking 3-4.

I just put a deposit on my new AP yesterday. The dealer echoed what I was hearing from Torneau and Hyde Park about their Rolex allocations. The salespersons were all complaining to me because they aren't getting enough watches to get their commissions. If they could get everyone what they wanted, they would.

I guess of course, you could argue that the actual owners are backdooring shipments before they hit the showcase.

Back
Top Bottom