The Timepiece Thread vol: READ THE 1st POST!!!

that's not too bad

keep us updated on how it goes and how long it takes
2 to 3 weeks because it’s going to the service center which will then come back with Rolex authentication paperwork which will be nice since the original owner didn’t have it.

Are Oris and Hamilton quality brands? Looking for the best automatic for my buck under $1000, and was recommended those by a coworker. He brought in an Oris today for me to try out, seemed like good quality.

20180927_105541.jpg

wow that's a quick turn around

i've seen some cases where it takes months

and yah that is what's good with being serviced, you get paperwork as proof and it should be pressure tested and calibrated, they usually switch out part if any are aftermarket too, with that said I am not 100% sure but i believe after checking the watch and they find anything that needs to be changed back to rolex appropriate parts they might call you and charge you extra so just be aware that it's a possibility

Are Oris and Hamilton quality brands? Looking for the best automatic for my buck under $1000, and was recommended those by a coworker. He brought in an Oris today for me to try out, seemed like good quality.

20180927_105541.jpg

oris and hamilton are solid options and can be had at very good discount and they have plenty of options to choose from

just curious if you don't mind sharing, what's the quote for the service?

I find it unusual that the AD gave you a quote on service, they never do that. The answer is usually “they’ll inspect and let us know, then we’ll call you”.

I just serviced my datejust and it cost me 1100 because they replaced the crystal. All I got when it returned was a bill and a green travel pouch.

I’ve serviced watches with Rolex, AP, Vacheron and Lange and have never had any dealer “quote” me any prices. They know full well, that they don't know what's wrong with the watch until its disassembled under a microscope.

Only one of those watchmakers that gave me any type of authenticity papers is Lange, which only stated the watch was originally made by them, nothing more, nothing less.

They would never give an authenticity paper back on any watch after original point of sale, just Patek I believe offers “archive” papers similar to Lange. But Rolex doesn’t do that, let alone return a watch to a customer with an aftermarket bracelet.

If you sent that watch to them, you’re getting it back with a new factory bracelet, crystal, likely crown as well. And that isn’t 700, nor happening within 2-3 weeks. It's 6-8 if you're lucky.

Edit: I looked and I also got this booklet back with a receipt, and a flimsy card showing the date of service on the watch.

IMG_0050.jpeg

Last edited:
i've had times where i locked myself out and the maintenance workers would just open up a lock for me, no questions asked. Definitely sus...
Heres an article i found on the incident.
https://abc7ny.com/trio-of-thieves-wanted-for-stealing-luxury-watches-from-nyc-gyms/3755415/

Ouch, I really feel bad for those guys and i'll def think twice before bringing my watch in with me. Sounds like it's safer locked away in the glovebox. Although in NY, i'm sure most people don't drive there.

I find it unusual that the AD gave you a quote on service, they never do that. The answer is usually “they’ll inspect and let us know, then we’ll call you”.

I just serviced my datejust and it cost me 1100 because they replaced the crystal. All I got when it returned was a bill and a green travel pouch.

I’ve serviced watches with Rolex, AP, Vacheron and Lange and have never had any dealer “quote” me any prices. They know full well, that they don't know what's wrong with the watch until its disassembled under a microscope.

Only one of those watchmakers that gave me any type of authenticity papers is Lange, which only stated the watch was originally made by them, nothing more, nothing less.

They would never give an authenticity paper back on any watch after original point of sale, just Patek I believe offers “archive” papers similar to Lange. But Rolex doesn’t do that, let alone return a watch to a customer with an aftermarket bracelet.

If you sent that watch to them, you’re getting it back with a new factory bracelet, crystal, likely crown as well. And that isn’t 700, nor happening within 2-3 weeks. It's 6-8 if you're lucky.

it's not necessarily a authenticity paperwork but more like a serviced by rolex card which works like an authenticity certificate because rolex wouldn't work on it if it wasn't

been looking at getting an oysterquartz and i see that most sellers has dated serviced card and that service/travel pouch

as for the price, it is unusual but i assume it is a price of how much it would be if nothing else is wrong, iwc has done that to me but they definitely let you know that they might charge you more if they discover something else that needs working/replaced that isn't covered

also why i asked for the price because if the bracelet wasn't rolex then they'll replace that and chare you accordingly but i guess the dude who inspected only wanted to authenticate it and suggest service to make some $$$
service.jpg

it's not necessarily a authenticity paperwork but more like a serviced by rolex card which works like an authenticity certificate because rolex wouldn't work on it if it wasn't

been looking at getting an oysterquartz and i see that most sellers has dated serviced card and that service/travel pouch

as for the price, it is unusual but i assume it is a price of how much it would be if nothing else is wrong, iwc has done that to me but they definitely let you know that they might charge you more if they discover something else that needs working/replaced that isn't covered

also why i asked for the price because if the bracelet wasn't rolex then they'll replace that and chare you accordingly but i guess the dude who inspected only wanted to authenticate it and suggest service to make some $$$
service.jpg

Yeah you’re right, I posted pics of the card I got, it just shows the serial number and a date of service. I’m assuming it would work as a reference for authenticity, but doesn’t state anything in regards to authenticity at all.

I’m hopeful the previous poster only spends 700 as he was told, but I’m hesitant to send in my 16710 coke because of horror stories Ive heard. Namely people sending vintage watches and having the ideal collectible parts replaced with modern variants and ruining the resale value. You can’t pick and choose what they replace. With that being said I’m sure it wouldn’t matter for his sub if they updated everything, but I have doubts they’d work on any watch with aftermarket parts unless the owner authorized them to replace everything to factory.

yah i believe rolex service center will either replace everything that isn't og rolex parts (after you agree to pay) or they won't work on it at all

Hey FAM, just an update. I met the seller at a Rolex dealer and they told me the watch is authentic. I left the watch with Rolex to get serviced. Thanks for everyone's help.
Just curious, how much did you end up getting it for

I’m gonna assume a steal?

I know this is NT but tons of info on TRF (the Rolex forum)
Since I send a watch in almost monthly here’s the info I can contribute - I use Dallas and not NY. They average 7 weeks for a turnaround regardless of what you hear or are told. I’ll bet money on it lol

Standard RSC (Rolex service center) service as of this month- is
$700 professional series (subs, explorers, milgauss, etc..)
$650 for datejusts
$1,200+ for Daytona’s and anything with a complicated movement like a sky dweller

Prices will go up with a 5% increase probably January

If RSC finds aftermarket parts they replace them or send the watch back. You get a quote a week after the watch was received breaking down what the technician found needs to be done.

**if you call RSC they will send you a box to ship your watch back into. You pay the shipping back to RSC. Prices above include the return shipping to you and yes it’s a 2 year warranty on parts and labor with a green card and pouch.

You can decline having certain parts replaced and still have a watch serviced. I. E. Keeping an older bezel on a watch instead of a fresh one.
You can send a watch in without a bracelet. David HK in Hong Kong is the king of bracelet restoration

Any questions feel free to ask. I have literally tons of watch knowledge lol and I’m not drunk yet lol

I sent some info to classicwatchrepair.com and the prices were pretty reasonable... Heard they are about as good as it comes outside of rolex itself... As my Datejust was gifted without any papers or box, I am thinking that is the route... I need the clasp and bracelet repaired, the movement serviced as it runs a little fast and the case has some blemishes... Not in love with the idea of my timepiece being gone for 8 weeks but I think it will be worth it.

I know this is NT but tons of info on TRF (the Rolex forum)
Since I send a watch in almost monthly here’s the info I can contribute - I use Dallas and not NY. They average 7 weeks for a turnaround regardless of what you hear or are told. I’ll bet money on it lol

Standard RSC (Rolex service center) service as of this month- is
$700 professional series (subs, explorers, milgauss, etc..)
$650 for datejusts
$1,200+ for Daytona’s and anything with a complicated movement like a sky dweller

Prices will go up with a 5% increase probably January

If RSC finds aftermarket parts they replace them or send the watch back. You get a quote a week after the watch was received breaking down what the technician found needs to be done.

**if you call RSC they will send you a box to ship your watch back into. You pay the shipping back to RSC. Prices above include the return shipping to you and yes it’s a 2 year warranty on parts and labor with a green card and pouch.

You can decline having certain parts replaced and still have a watch serviced. I. E. Keeping an older bezel on a watch instead of a fresh one.
You can send a watch in without a bracelet. David HK in Hong Kong is the king of bracelet restoration

Any questions feel free to ask. I have literally tons of watch knowledge lol and I’m not drunk yet lol

Do you have any comment on why people are suggesting to never send a vintage Rolex to RSC, considering everything you're saying is true, what would be the issue? I've read too many stories about people having things replaced that they did not want replaced. However your experience is that they will not touch anything you don't authorize them to. Thoughts? I got this GMT Coke a few months ago and have been dying to wear it. It's in need of a service, but don't know who to trust aside from Rolex Service Center. The watch was sitting unused/unwound for 7 years. I've looked into independent's and I've found some trustworthy ones, but have only worked with Rolex and would prefer them--but don't want to get a botched watch back. The actual ref is a 16760 fat-lady, not a 16710 as I mentioned before. Sorry my memory is sh-t.

IMG_0077.jpeg

Main reason not to send a vintage piece to RSC is simple. Provenance.

A vintage piece commands a premium because of the perceived value. Rolex WILL replace every worn piece. That kills whatever value the watch has. Vintage collectors want all original parts. All original wear and tear. That’s what gives the piece value.
A blueberry GMT sent to Rolex would die in valuation because they would consider that bezel, which alone can go for 10K, a worn piece

It’s funny. Rolex prides itself on the value of its history but is quick to dismiss the vintage market.

You can request to not have bezels replaced but they might consider the crown damaged and give an ultimatum.
I’m not saying you can dictate what they do or don’t replace. They WILL require parts that don’t meet they standards to be replaced. A bezel is superficial. A piece of a movement, parachrom spring or crown isn’t.
Always go with a trusted vintage watch shop when possible.

Side note. Rolex keeps parts for ALL watches for up to 25-30 years AFTER the models discontinued. So something like a 17000 oysterquartz (fun watch and historical) will be covered until 2031. For example

Main reason not to send a vintage piece to RSC is simple. Provenance.

A vintage piece commands a premium because of the perceived value. Rolex WILL replace every worn piece. That kills whatever value the watch has. Vintage collectors want all original parts. All original wear and tear. That’s what gives the piece value.
A blueberry GMT sent to Rolex would die in valuation because they would consider that bezel, which alone can go for 10K, a worn piece

It’s funny. Rolex prides itself on the value of its history but is quick to dismiss the vintage market.

You can request to not have bezels replaced but they might consider the crown damaged and give an ultimatum.
I’m not saying you can dictate what they do or don’t replace. They WILL require parts that don’t meet they standards to be replaced. A bezel is superficial. A piece of a movement, parachrom spring or crown isn’t.
Always go with a trusted vintage watch shop when possible.

Side note. Rolex keeps parts for ALL watches for up to 25-30 years AFTER the models discontinued. So something like a 17000 oysterquartz (fun watch and historical) will be covered until 2031. For example

Awesome, my watch was discontinued in 1988, so it would be my last year to send it in. I'm happy to send it to them, I just want to keep the original hands and such and don't want them messing with anything superficial. I have no qualms about them changing grommets and interior parts, but I guess it's on me to really decide what the best decision is.

People do like original wear and tear, but my example is honestly quite mint and is 100% complete. It's something I plan on passing down, and making sure its taken care of until it gets to that point.

Awesome, my watch was discontinued in 1988, so it would be my last year to send it in. I'm happy to send it to them, I just want to keep the original hands and such and don't want them messing with anything superficial. I have no qualms about them changing grommets and interior parts, but I guess it's on me to really decide what the best decision is.

If the lume isn’t strong. They may require new hands ($80) possibly a new dial as well. You can write the request in. The tech might decline.

Brought my dad's 16234 to RSC for overhaul. It isn't worth much but has a lot of sentimental value so I don't care if they replace the crown. Didn't get the piece polished though. Lol.

Sold my 116610LN. Made a deal on a replacement daily piece. Should be getting it soon. :smokin

been looking for a decent one for a decent price, i keep missing out on the couple of good deals the past 6 months

Dude. Back in 2016 I was snagging them for about $1,500 each. I’ve gone through ten of them. Different models (17000, 17014)
They are fun watches and the bracelet is super comfortable but knowing that they are quartz is so weird for a Rolex. I’ve had one of those serviced with RSC as well and it was $1,200 for fhe movement and crown/date wheel

Next recession I’m def going to be scooping one last one up.

Back
Top Bottom