The Timepiece Thread vol: READ THE 1st POST!!!

I was planning on getting a datejust 41 fluted jubilee or a sub no date once my bonus comes in at the end of the month.

I have done some research, but what do you guys think about buying from a trusted seller on trf or wus vs an ad? Is it risky to do so, or as long as i get the signed warranty there is nothing to worry about?

I was planning on getting a datejust 41 fluted jubilee or a sub no date once my bonus comes in at the end of the month.

I have done some research, but what do you guys think about buying from a trusted seller on trf or wus vs an ad? Is it risky to do so, or as long as i get the signed warranty there is nothing to worry about?

there's always going to be a risk outside of ad's, signed warranty isn't always guaranteed but just go with those with plenty of good references and you'd be fine

also consider davidsw, he usually provides a valid stamped warranty card so its no issues going through ad's if any problems arise

Grey market is pretty much the only way to get a ss sport model nowadays
@celebritywatchspotter on ig walked into a rolex store and they had a white faced sky dweller, hulk, batman, two tone root beer.

I was sooo jealous

there's always going to be a risk outside of ad's, signed warranty isn't always guaranteed but just go with those with plenty of good references and you'd be fine

also consider davidsw, he usually provides a valid stamped warranty card so its no issues going through ad's if any problems arise
Thanks, i actually saw him post one that caught my eye. However my next issue is how do i even try one of these things on to see of i like it on my wrist if no shops around me even have any? Id like to be certain before spending 8-10k. :lol:

that is one of the main issues with these watches not being in stock, there is no way to really check it out or try it on

but you said you are considering the dj41 and that should be available in most ad's

if you want to try on a sub or other posrt models, go check out jewelers that sell used rolexes, like in my area even jcpenney has a section that sell used rolexes

non-sport/professional-watch stainless steel isn't going to be too difficult to find, maybe some specifications aren't readily available but they can be ordered and its yours within a month or so

like a datejust, a white dial with a fluted bezel and jubilee bracelet isn't on any cases when i was looking for one but they would have gladly ordered it and won't even need to be placed on a list
did you end up getting that DJ? Considering that or an OP39. Major price difference between the two though. My local ADs have been willing to discount some datejusts but those were mostly for my wife when I was looking.

did you end up getting that DJ? Considering that or an OP39. Major price difference between the two though. My local ADs have been willing to discount some datejusts but those were mostly for my wife when I was looking.
Personally I appreciate the symmetry of the no date and no bubble. Only thing is there are less bracelet and bezel options but if that is something your not considering anyway I'd go op39. The new black and white dials supposedly have a subtle sunburnt texture on them.

the white op39 is on my next to cop list for sure, that is a beauty and 39mm is about perfect, id go with white though or if i want a black dial i'd just go with the explorer unless you really want the consistent baton markers

i got the dj36 and i love it, date bubble and all

i agree that the symmetry of the op is better but it doesn't come with the fluted bezel + jubilee bracelet options and those are the options that differs the dj from the rest

I really liked the look of the OP when I last tried it on. The thing that sort of bothered me was how light it felt on the wrist.

Last of the two liners. Love this one

Attachments

• D55433B8-3F35-4A91-9BEE-D0B6B9C1A96E.jpeg
    D55433B8-3F35-4A91-9BEE-D0B6B9C1A96E.jpeg
    318.7 KB · Views: 37
the white op39 is on my next to cop list for sure, that is a beauty and 39mm is about perfect, id go with white though or if i want a black dial i'd just go with the explorer unless you really want the consistent baton markers

i got the dj36 and i love it, date bubble and all

i agree that the symmetry of the op is better but it doesn't come with the fluted bezel + jubilee bracelet options and those are the options that differs the dj from the rest
Last of the two liners. Love this one

Beautiful watch. I'm in the minority but I do prefer the four line as I prefer not too much "dead space" on a dial. I think as the rolex sub dial doesn't have much texture to it (gloss/matt) it seems plain(classic). It might also be because this was my first proper watch...funny how tastes change as I'm not keen on chronos at all anymore.
images.jpeg

^ I hear what you’re saying but the value in the 2 liners is just that. It’s one of the least “busy” dials ever released in the modern era. No 4 lines. No cosc stamping. The 14060’s were around $3k just a few years ago. Try finding one for under 6k now. Value is only going up for the same reason. Folks want a clean sub.
I’ve owned the 5513, 16800, 16610 and all no date variants. To each his own. The 14060M is the last classic “modern” submariner unlike the 114060 which is a piece of jewelry (which I also own)

^ I hear what you’re saying but the value in the 2 liners is just that. It’s one of the least “busy” dials ever released in the modern era. No 4 lines. No cosc stamping. The 14060’s were around $3k just a few years ago. Try finding one for under 6k now. Value is only going up for the same reason. Folks want a clean sub.
I’ve owned the 5513, 16800, 16610 and all no date variants. To each his own. The 14060M is the last classic “modern” submariner unlike the 114060 which is a piece of jewelry (which I also own)

I agree with you in the sense I think 14060m is the last true professional submariner in the sense that it was conceived as a tool to time dives as well as look elegant enough to be worn a variety of situations.

I currently own a 114060 (as well as an Omega 300m) and see that Rolex as a brand have consciously departed from their tool watch history and are hoping to be seen as the prestige brand that most average people tend to view them as. I'm just looking at the price for current sports models now and initially I paid £5250 for my sub and looking at the market in the UK this watch used now your looking at up to £7,950.

I agree with you in the sense I think 14060m is the last true professional submariner in the sense that it was conceived as a tool to time dives as well as look elegant enough to be worn a variety of situations.

I currently own a 114060 (as well as an Omega 300m) and see that Rolex as a brand have consciously departed from their tool watch history and are hoping to be seen as the prestige brand that most average people tend to view them as. I'm just looking at the price for current sports models now and initially I paid £5250 for my sub and looking at the market in the UK this watch used now your looking at up to £7,950.

Oh it’s even worse in the U.K.
Heading to London in March. Don’t even plan to watch shop as I know it dire. What’s worse is I have my eye on the Harrods Tudor

Oh it’s even worse in the U.K.
Heading to London in March. Don’t even plan to watch shop as I know it dire. What’s worse is I have my eye on the Harrods Tudor

Exchange rate might work in your favour. Yeah I've heard that the Harrods tudor is in pretty high demand. I think there are a lot of speculators as well as people who for whatever reason can't get a hold of a Kermit and don't wanna go crazy green with the hulk.

I think my next purchase might be the OP39 but that'll be in a few years I think. I'm trying to find classic no date pieces that are solid, classic pieces similar to my sneaker collecting from Jordan brand to nike runners.

You can still find them sub ~5k at which point I’d bite if it’s complete. Least I’ve ever paid was $3,500 for a complete set years ago. Kicking myself for selling it but made profit. This one ran me $5,600 complete (sold the 93150 bracelet as I wear this on a nato as it belongs lol) and I don’t foresee letting this one go.
If we do hit a hard recession I expect prices to deflate about 15-20% overall. Maybe I’m wrong. Lol maybe I’m hopeful lol

Love my DateJust... It needs a service though and possibly the bracelet needs the stretch tightened up

Love my DateJust... It needs a service though and possibly the bracelet needs the stretch tightened up
Jubilee bracelets over time tend to stretch less so modern rolex ones as I think they use a ceramic sleeve which reduces the issue a lot.

I'm thinking about the datejust now. White with fluted bezel.what do you guys think of the datejust ii vs the 41?

Back
Top Bottom