The Timepiece Thread vol: READ THE 1st POST!!!

looks like a Movado x AP in that flick.

There as far as I know never been a leak this far ahead of Basel and a physical copy caught on film. A picture would have made it slightly more believable for myself but to have actually snuck a watch out of rolex I call bs. I would say this is a decent custom job.

If you look at the watch it still has the hulk white gold lume surrounds. If this were authentic I believe they would have gone for yellow gold like on the regular gold submariner. I imagine hulk and the gold sub parts are interchangeable if you had both watches and I'm sure you could actually buy a custom rolex bezel for the amount of mods out there.
good point, is "Swiss Made" in yellow? certain letters on the dial appear to be yellow but I can't say for sure.

in NYC, where would yall recommend I get a black dial sub or explorer for the best deal?

Would be my first big watch purchase so excuse my lack of knowledge

What do you guys think about buying a brand new watch from a grey with no stickers. There's also another grey that has the watch brand new with stickers for $200 cheaper but the one without is local but only delivers, no actual store.

I bought my omega from a gray with a stamped warranty, and had no issues. For my Rolex I decided I would only buy from ad. For that amount of money (a decent amt for me) I wanted the peace of mind of getting it from a legitimate ad and I didn’t want to pay a premium from a gm seller.

Both watches (Rolex) are about $12k and there's no other way except for grey since it's a discontinued model. Both have warranty cards which aren't filled out but the one that's about $200 more is right here by me.

its all about the sellers reputation

with rolex, ap and pp, its a different case because its not readily available in ADs so we have to weigh if getting it now and if the price is worth it

as for discontinued watch, just go by reps and make sure they are good people

id do this, go see the one nearby and see how the watch it, hell even meet up at a rolex ad and get it authenticated to be sure you're getting a real one

if the meet-up isnt to your satisfaction, you can always walk away and go another route

its all about the sellers reputation

with rolex, ap and pp, its a different case because its not readily available in ADs so we have to weigh if getting it now and if the price is worth it

as for discontinued watch, just go by reps and make sure they are good people

id do this, go see the one nearby and see how the watch it, hell even meet up at a rolex ad and get it authenticated to be sure you're getting a real one

if the meet-up isnt to your satisfaction, you can always walk away and go another route

They won't let me. They have good reviews on TRF, Chrono, yelp, and ebay though.

i'm not looking for the "sweetest" deal per say...it's why I asked yall

just checking if anyone has any recommendations before I just go back to tourneau

$7500 for preowned sub 2010 model I beleive
7k for a 2019 preowned explorer (which seemed odd)

i'm not looking for the "sweetest" deal per say...it's why I asked yall

just checking if anyone has any recommendations before I just go back to tourneau

$7500 for preowned sub 2010 model I beleive
7k for a 2019 preowned explorer (which seemed odd)
TBH I think the difference to the ceramic is enough to justify the cost.

if you can wait be patient and do some hunting. Hopefully you’ll get a new one from an AD at retail.

You can get a ceramic Submariner (no-date) for $7,500 all day long, and it's a vastly superior watch to the 16610.

I'll go as far as saying pre-ceramic Subs are trash. I wouldn't pay $3k for one, much less $7,500.

i wouldnt buy from tourneau, theyre overpriced, you can find a pre-owned in better condition for the same price elsewhere, if not cheaper

They won't let me. They have good reviews on TRF, Chrono, yelp, and ebay though.

if both are gon' ship, its really up to you then if the stickers are worth $200?

I check this thread once a week and I feel like every time I check it folks are posting insane prices for watches...7K for a 214270?!? lol

watchrecon.com there are TONS of grey sellers like DAVIDSW or BriBoxer who sell watches for a fraction of that.
resell for the last 5 years can be researched on that site and most sellers will take paypal if you have references, so you can pay the extra 3-4% if you aren't comfortable wiring.

An MK1 214270 should be $5K MK2 dial - $6-6.5
216570 should be around $7K for a black dial or a little more for white
114060 should be $7K full set

Those are average prices.

Go with a reputable seller, check it out, make sure the rehaut has the serial and the Rolex words line up between every hour marker, and look for the tiny crown etched on the crystal at the 6pm spot (you'll need a flashlight or phone light), make sure the band has the micro adjustment. The crown should also line up straight when you tighten it after setting the time. Do all those things and you'll be good.

Last edited:
I check this thread once a week and I feel like every time I check it folks are posting insane prices for watches...7K for a 214270?!? lol

watchrecon.com there are TONS of grey sellers like DAVIDSW or BriBoxer who sell watches for a fraction of that.
resell for the last 5 years can be researched on that site and most sellers will take paypal if you have references, so you can pay the extra 3-4% if you aren't comfortable wiring.

An MK1 214270 should be $5K MK2 dial - $6-6.5
216570 should be around $7K for a black dial or a little more for white
114060 should be $7K full set

Those are average prices.
Those prices haven’t been around for years. You’re not getting a sub for ~$1000 under retail even used.

Last edited:
The crown does not have to line up

Maybe on your watch it doesn't. On the watch that Frank is buying, it should line up. See below.

20200125_004808.jpg

Back
Top Bottom