The Timepiece Thread vol: READ THE 1st POST!!!

Want to get my pops a watch for his birthday , looking to spend up to $3k
any recommendations? He doesn't care for any particular style to my knowledge

Is he into watches? Does he have any others at the moment? Does he like a showy or more classic style?

There are a bunch of really solid watches under $1k like a Tissot Gentleman. $3k doesn’t quite get you into luxury territory (unless you’re willing to look into some used neovintage pieces). If you want to get something near that, I’d recommend a Longines Heritage Classic or something similar.

Reactions: 17
He's into watches, but doesn't have the means to get anything near the price point i'm willing to spend. I've seen him wear both, flashy style watches and the more classic gentleman style watches. I'd run any recommendations by his wife first and let her pick the one she think he'd like the most. Thanks for you input and I'll look into the ones you mentioned.

My wrist is on the smaller side and I found the 40mm to fit just fine because of the integrated bracelet. I know everyone’s been calling for the automatic 35 but I find them a touch dainty. Not necessarily a bad thing, but a 37 would’ve really been the sweet spot imo.
The 40 is a nice size (I have one myself) but I think the main issue I and some others had is the non-articulating first link which makes the watch seem larger than it actually is.

Right now I do want a new integrated watch as I'm not really wearing the prx for the issue I mentioned above. But the other alternative I'm looking at is the Nivada F77.
0cdc6208-f77-wrist-5.jpg
367a5418-c6a0127.jpg
cc41014f-c6a0019.jpg

The new tissots are really nice in person . A nice alternative for that price category .Also if you want a nice looking watch without being scared about being robbed

i believe delugs has stopped selling them

they got a cease and desist from cartier

unless they just have premade leftover ones

They said they’re taking preorders for a new run. I will inquire and see what they come back with. If I can’t get one, I’m doomed, the shiny green alligator is just not my thing.

IMG_4937.jpeg

tudor royal

the 38mm is $2400 (and its not a hot seller so a discount might be possible)

tudor-m28500-0007.png

tudor-m28500-0005.png

and the day-date 41mm is only $50 more at $2450

tudor-m28600-0005.png
I really think this piece could have potential if they made it less dressy. I was hoping they'd add some variants like they have for one of the main inspirations of the piece - the datejust. If they add a lumed baton markers, some text at the bottom of the dial for balance and maybe even a smooth bezel and I'm pretty sure they'd move some more units.

1686698210366.jpeg

The Australian surfer couldn’t believe his luck. “I took a photo with my GoPro, and I instantly laughed and thought it must have been a Bali knock-off,” Cuddihy explains. He posted images of the Rolex watch he had found on Instagram, revealing a watch encrusted in ocean debris from what must have been a lengthy period underwater. The Rolex, which looks to be a Rolex Submariner reference 14060, still runs. Correction: It’s a Submariner ref. 5513 with a later dial.

“When I bought it in from the ocean, I washed it in some fresh water, and a lot of the sand, salt, and organisms came off. It smelt pretty bad and had some major corrosion to the bezel but the second hand was still moving. The crown is jammed, so it technically still tells the time but not in my time zone,” he explained.

1686698231704.jpeg

the newly opened GS in my area got the tentagraph early and i got to try it on

despite its 43mm case, 51.5mm l2l and 15.3mm thick… it sits surprisingly well on my 6.5” wrist

overall, its still too big and even though its titanium, it felt top heavy and while i really like it, i dont want to pay $15k on something where i would be wearing one day and id pass by a mirror and then see what I have on is too big and then feel iffy about it instantly

IMG_5051.jpeg

IMG_5052.jpeg

best advice is to check them out in person, should be easy to find as some macys carries them if you cant find an AD for Tissot

macys usually includes them on their sale and if applying for a new cc thats an extra discount and if you catch rakuten at 10%-15% cashback, it makes the prx an even tempting proposition

So would I look like a poser if I bought a 200-400 dollar watch like seiko 5 that looks very much like a Rolex from a distance?

I don’t care for expensive watches bc I’m notorious for losing them and/or not caring for them after a while.

But I also don’t want people to think im “trying” to imitate a Rolex- bc I can care less about looking “rich”

Btw I can def afford a way more expensive watch (thousands) but don’t feel like I want/need to and it’s all just so silly

So would I look like a poser if I bought a 200-400 dollar watch like seiko 5 that looks very much like a Rolex from a distance?

I don’t care for expensive watches bc I’m notorious for losing them and/or not caring for them after a while.

But I also don’t want people to think im “trying” to imitate a Rolex- bc I can care less about looking “rich”

Btw I can def afford a way more expensive watch (thousands) but don’t feel like I want/need to and it’s all just so silly

Do you, especially if you’re concerned about losing it or something as you mentioned

Back
Top Bottom