The Timepiece Thread vol: READ THE 1st POST!!!

I bought a holme & hadfield case. Very well made and looks super fancy for the price. Prefer this over my wolf box

OP36 fits me better so id go for that but if explorer II fits me the same as an OP, EXP2 wins

i dont think theres a white dial OP available now so it really depends what you want

I wish the explorer II was still 40

tried it on and because it’s such a flat watch the 42 looks bigger than it actually is

like I got zero issue with the 42 yacht master

20231223_194150.jpg

Little bro's datejust 41. I really wanted a silver dial with fluted bezel, jubilee with baton lume but two weeks after this picture was taken the watch had to be taken into service as it was running slow. Another tale of the 32xx movements....

Last edited:
Hey fellas! Need some input and your expertise.

My fiancé and I walked into an AD on March 8, 2022 to check out a few Rolexes they had on display. I told the associate we're getting married in June and I'd like to purchase my first Rolex to wear on my wedding day. I thought since I told the associate we're getting married, it would better my chances of procuring the timepiece sooner. Boy was I wrong. She put me in their database and I gave her some of the reference numbers I was interested in. My first (and only) choice was the Rolex 126610LN. To me, it's such a classic SS Rolex that can be worn dressed up or down, and perfect for daily wear. I also gave a list of other reference numbers I briefly searched while sitting. The associate gave me the usual "long waitlist" story, but she'll see what she can do. The call never came.

22 months and 17 days later...

I get a call around 7pm yesterday from the AD. It was the same associate and she had good news for me. She was able allocate for me a Rolex Submariner. I was ecstatic, but got ahead of myself. It wasn't the SS Submariner I've been wanting. It's the reference 126613LN. It was on the list I gave her and maybe in my top 5.

1. I don't have history with the AD (or any AD). Should I make the purchase to begin history? Will it better my chances of getting what I really want?
2. Should I expect to never get a call again if I turn it down?
3. Can I get this piece cheaper elsewhere? I'm seeing a wide range from $14k to $25k.
4. Could I go see the watch and try to convince them to sell me the reference 126610LN, which was my first choice?

My major worry is I'll never hear from the AD again if I decline this one. I've already waited almost 2 years with no history. Any comments or suggestions? I have an appointment for tomorrow morning with the AD.

What I want
1000024513.jpg

What they have for me
1000024514.jpg

I was in a very similar situation with my AD around this time last year. I was offered the James Cameron Sea Dweller (which was not on my list).
Politely declined and was offered my SS Sub about 1-2 months later.
Agree with comments above, do not settle.

Nah get it. This isnt settling. The SS Sub Date 2024 you can sell anytime and get 2-3k over. Its much harder to come by.

Two tone gold Rolexes you can find cheaper than retail on the grey market. I'd never pay retail for 90% of gold Rolex watches.

Assuming it will be worn, preowned 126613LN is going for around $15k on C24.
New/unworn, around $16k-17k.

Retail is over $16k after tax.

Watches can be a sure fire addiction, especially Rolexes. If you have the funds and the 126613 is in your top five, chances are you would wanna grab this later in the future (maybe near future). I have the 126610 and love it but also hope to someday own a 126613 (also my top 5). I personally love the two tone having worn SS watches my whole life. Just my 0.02.

i get the dont settle argument but is it settling if it was on your top 5 wishlist?

might just be my mentality but if i gave my AD 5 watches to put my name on, whichever first one comes up i am taking

:lol:

if i am being offered something i have no interest on, i would definitely pass

its honestly a toss up and depends from AD to AD if they take a rejection as a bad sign or not especially if you have zero business with them yet, they get hundreds/thousands of calls inquiring for rolexes so they really got to vet who they think aren't a flake

this isnt to discourage anyone but this is the rolex/watch business we are on now

with that said, it sounds like it will be a regret and its not really that high of a priority of a model so pass and let someone who actually wants it get a chance at it

market is supposedly softening so who knows...

I like two tone watches and am surprised to see so many say they don’t like them. Been on a list for a two tone Daytona with a white face for a few years. Where can I buy for gray market around retail?

I would grab the one they offered you. My guess is they had it for someone else and they fell through. Like everyone else said, you can always sell it.

Back
Top Bottom