The Troubling Case of Amanda Knox 22yo American Student on Trial for Murder in Italy *UPDATE* Appeal

Amanda Knox Revisited
By TIMOTHY EGAN

egan-knox.427.jpg

Giuseppe Bellini/Agence France-Presse/Getty Images
Amanda Knox on Tuesday.
RELATED
An Innocent Abroad, June 10, 2009
The Knox Trial, Continued, June 12, 2009
Injust a few days, a verdict is expected in the trial of Amanda Knox, the22-year-old Seattle exchange student on trial in Italy for thethroat-slashing murder of her British roommate two years ago. Herex-boyfriend, Raffaele Sollecito, is also being tried.

The trialin the Umbrian college town of Perugia has dragged on just short of ayear. As this week’s closing arguments showed once again, the case hasvery little to do with actual evidence and much to do with the ancientItalian code of saving face.

In closing arguments, Knox wasdescribed as a “Luciferina

The moral of the story is...don't call the cops in Italy. They just indict whoever was closest to the body.

This is terrifying. I would tend to think of Western Europe as fairly comparable to the U.S. in terms of their legal system. Stuff like this makes me hesitantto travel anywhere.

So, because you can make up stories as to why you THINK she would be involed, that's evidance enough to charge her with murder? If that's the case, allof us in this thread can be charged with the murder as well
laugh.gif

This world, I tell you...

Originally Posted by Uptown Roamer

So, because you can make up stories as to why you THINK she would be involed, that's evidance enough to charge her with murder? If that's the case, all of us in this thread can be charged with the murder as well
laugh.gif

This world, I tell you...
Hope ain't no Italian authorities lurkin on this site...we might get arrested.
nerd.gif

She went to my girlfriend's highschool. A class above. Sucks for her, I can't imagine how she got in a situation like that.

Originally Posted by knightngale

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

The moral of the story is...don't call the cops in Italy. They just indict whoever was closest to the body.
or don't go to italy

Italy is cool. Horrible story though. I didn't know the court system was like this but then again you got plenty of injustices happening right here inAmerica. I wouldn't let this story stop anyone from going. I'm beasting to go back, just don't have the funds. I hope she doesn't do any timefor this

meh, a couple years back 20/20 (and other news sources) went out of their way to portray this chick as extremely innocent. Then some news pieces came out laterthat painted a completely contrasting image, and I've rarely seen anything positive about her since. I really don't care enough about whether she'sinnocent or not to read through this article and take anytime to verify if there's any truth to it. Anyone that is seriously outraged by this articleshould consider doing a little more research though. Not saying she's necessarily guilty either, I really don't care much at all.

I think you left out, or at least didn't a lot of the facts/allegations that go against her. I'm also a legal student and I remember thinking shewas probably guilty after I read the entire CNN file on her. Apparently she gave several versions of where she was when the murder happened and also tried toblame someone else for the murder and that person was exonerated. She said she heard the girl scream, then said she was smoking weed with her boyfriend at hisapartment? Not sure if she is as innocent here as you made it seem.

Damn, I wonder if this is because she's American, I think some people overseas have it in for Americans. Anyways, I wish her the best.

Italians puttin the screws to this American broad. She was being too cooperative. Seems like they didn't want to do the extra police/law work to extraditethe dude who fled to Germany or find the real killer.

Not really surprised when it comes to things like justice as far as people are regarded. For whatever it's worth in America where one would argue that wehave a more "just" and sound legal system there are still innocent ppl serving double digit sentences.

Originally Posted by PersiaFly

I think you left out, or at least didn't a lot of the facts/allegations that go against her. I'm also a legal student and I remember thinking she was probably guilty after I read the entire CNN file on her. Apparently she gave several versions of where she was when the murder happened and also tried to blame someone else for the murder and that person was exonerated. She said she heard the girl scream, then said she was smoking weed with her boyfriend at his apartment? Not sure if she is as innocent here as you made it seem.

point well taken I will def be looking up more on her

I haven't heard about this and it's gone on for 2 years
smh.gif

Sounds horrible but as mentioned above by other posters there is 2 sides to every story

wow, i remeber hearing bout this a while ago, what a shame. damn italians only good for food.

Originally Posted by PersiaFly

I think you left out, or at least didn't a lot of the facts/allegations that go against her. I'm also a legal student and I remember thinking she was probably guilty after I read the entire CNN file on her. Apparently she gave several versions of where she was when the murder happened and also tried to blame someone else for the murder and that person was exonerated. She said she heard the girl scream, then said she was smoking weed with her boyfriend at his apartment? Not sure if she is as innocent here as you made it seem.

I first read about this year's back. I had classmates in Italy at the time who were all terrified because the Italian media had painted her as definitelyguilty and people were starting to turn on American exchange students. From what I initially read, she allegedly contradicted herself a few times in herdeposition and seemed to be trying to cover something up (though the article where I read it also seemed to be trying to paint a picture of a troubled youth,the media consensus at the time, so who knows how accurate it was.) I admit I haven't thoroughly researched the case and have just been following it overthe years when I see articles pop up, so I'm not sure if she's completely innocent or why she may have lied, but that's irrelevant and would onlylead to further hypothesizing.

What's important is there is zero evidence linking her to the murder, besides these alleged contradictory statements. There is no physical evidence, thesupposed murder weapon has already been discredited by Italian and foreign forensics experts (AND it wasn't produced during discovery, but "turnedup" a month and a half later) no dna, no finger prints, and on top of all that they HAVE a man who they CAN link to the murder scene and victim throughfinger prints and dna evidence, and who has also confessed to the crime, so why hasn't Amanda Knox been cleared? Why are they continuing this circus?

Whether or not they genuinely believe she was an accomplice isn't important. They have no evidence linking her to the crime, a culprit who can beconnected by evidence, and a confession.

If they can't prove anything beyond a reasonable doubt then they have to let her go. The standard shouldn't be "Well, we can't prove it, butcome on... you telling me you can't imagine a couple of scenarios where you can see these chicks get it on and one of them accidentally dies?"

The Italian justice system is making itself look like a joke. I don't even think they have rules ofevidence. That trial is a travesty.

What I'd like to know is, why the U.S. didn't try to get her extradited.

That said, the girl should worn a suit to court.
smh.gif

and doing cartwheels in front of the same press body that's been trying to bury her as the American devil? What was she thinking??

But it doesn't change the fact that the law is the law, and if you can't prove she did something, she should be freed.

Back
Top Bottom