[| -- The TTC is on Strike! As of MIDNIGHT -- |]

DYNAMICS

formerly diplomat tdot
As of 12 mins ago the TTC went on Strike.
smh.gif

Props to Miller for requesting back to work legislation for ATU. This strike is absolute nonsense. Negotiations are give and take notone way ultimatums. If they think striking and not providing 48 hrs notice due to ensuring the safety of it's members to violence they need to lookthemselves in the mirror and get real. Do they think after this is all over there won't be the random nut cases assaulting them? If anything they'regenerating more public disgust.

its gets me upset but not so much with the workers but the TTC corp. itself

workers are fighting to keep their jobs after 2011
cause in the contract it says that in 2011 they can be outsourced.

That means alot of TTC workers will lose their job or the amount of hours they work
And TTC will still increase the fare, so what good does that do for their workers and general public

^ Yeah I feel the same I'm more mad if anything @ Adam Giambrone and the TTC itself, they need a guranteed job, better pay, and a sense of security withall that's going on.

supremeape, you bring up the point where the workers are the victims. in huge organizations like this, the ground level employee is usually the one who takesthe shaft. however, in the case of the ttc where millions of tax dollars are poured in while still having losses each and every year, large-scale restructuringand more competitive negotiations are obviously coming. it was a matter of time, the ttc strike/upcoming reform/public anguish at inconvenience were allexpected.

I was on my way home from Hamilton when I got a text message about the strike.

I tried to get off from work today by calling in and saying that I couldn't make it downtown because of the strike but Mt.Sinai called me back 30mins latersent a taxi. $56 ride all the way from Scarborough to downtown.

lol yesterday by my house dis dude lit a garbage can on fire and threw it in the bus shed and said !#+* the ttc and ran away,pretty funny but also prettypointless
indifferent.gif

but i hope the strike ends by monday or else i cant go to work
tired.gif

glad to be on vacation...but I feel bad the most for low income people/families who rely on public transit to get to work. for them, a strike is pretty much ano-pay-day. oh well, this happens every year.

Originally Posted by Khonfruntashun

I was on my way home from Hamilton when I got a text message about the strike.
Word I got a text at like 11:45 and was like "the hell is this from?"
laugh.gif

Luckily I don't rely on the TTC but still use it to go certain places......Sucks for the people that have to go to work Monday, assuming it's stillon at that point.

Smart move by the TTC to stirke the way they did.

A) think of had they striked on a week night, i know some people were stranded, by thousands less then if they had walked off on a monday night at 12 am.

B) it puts alot of pressure on the union to reach a deal asap.

One of the issues is, if a worker gets hurt on the job, they only get 80% pay. At my job if I was to get hurt, i get 100%, I think its more than fair they getthe 100%. Im rootin for them

Originally Posted by Freshsince1982

A) think of had they striked on a week night, i know some people were stranded, by thousands less then if they had walked off on a monday night at 12 am.

One of the issues is, if a worker gets hurt on the job, they only get 80% pay. At my job if I was to get hurt, i get 100%, I think its more than fair they get the 100%. Im rootin for them

Are you kidding me?

These guys are the laziest pieces of crap in the city. They make $30/hr to drive a stinkin bus around and they still complain. When someone asks fordirections they are snarky and rude.

At the very least they could show up on time but they cant even do that. I cant tell you how many times I've left my house 10 minutes BEFORE the buswas supposed to arrive only to see it pass me by. How about Scarborough Town Centre where the bus will either leave 5 minutes before its supposed to or showup 10 minutes late?

Ticket collectors make $35/hour and they cant even do that right. Most of the time I see them playing video games or reading something. 90% of the time Idont even put my fare in if I see their not paying attention.

They should be grateful to be making all that money without any skills at all. Immigrant workers would do their jobs at 1/2 the wage.

At the end of the day, ticket prices are annually increasing while services are decreasing. TTC fares are increasing faster than the rate of inflation. After this strike is settled it wont be long before fares are $3 each and metropasses are $120. As usual, gas prices will be blamed, not greedy TTC employees.

Rob Ferguson
Francine Kopun
Toronto Star

A law ordering 9,000 striking TTC staff back to work was passed this afternoon, in time to get transit service rolling later today and avoid commuter chaos tomorrow.

"When people can't get to work that's a major problem," said Labour Minister Brad Duguid.

MPPs from al three parties gathered for a rare Sunday sitting at Queen's Park. It took them just 31 minutes to unanimously pass the law, prompted by Friday night's abrupt and unexpected shutdown of the country's transit system.

^True. They aren't the nicest people at times.

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

One of the issues is, if a worker gets hurt on the job, they only get 80% pay. At my job if I was to get hurt, i get 100%, I think its more than fair they get the 100%. Im rootin for them

Are you kidding me?

These guys are the laziest pieces of crap in the city. They make $30/hr to drive a stinkin bus around and they still complain. When someone asks for directions they are snarky and rude.

At the very least they could show up on time but they cant even do that. I cant tell you how many times I've left my house 10 minutes BEFORE the bus was supposed to arrive only to see it pass me by. How about Scarborough Town Centre where the bus will either leave 5 minutes before its supposed to or show up 10 minutes late?

Ticket collectors make $35/hour and they cant even do that right. Most of the time I see them playing video games or reading something. 90% of the time I dont even put my fare in if I see their not paying attention.

They should be grateful to be making all that money without any skills at all. Immigrant workers would do their jobs at 1/2 the wage.

At the end of the day, ticket prices are annually increasing while services are decreasing. TTC fares are increasing faster than the rate of inflation. After this strike is settled it wont be long before fares are $3 each and metropasses are $120. As usual, gas prices will be blamed, not greedy TTC employees.
im pretty sure 80% is standard injured unionized employee rate, but idk that for sure. if someone can correct me, please do.

i agree with the point on slackers on the job. in the future, i plan on making a HUGE scene at every ttc employee i see slacking, and writing "$*@^YOU" or "SCUM" on every ttc ticket i use.

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

Are you kidding me?

These guys are the laziest pieces of crap in the city. They make $30/hr to drive a stinkin bus around and they still complain. When someone asks for directions they are snarky and rude.

At the very least they could show up on time but they cant even do that. I cant tell you how many times I've left my house 10 minutes BEFORE the bus was supposed to arrive only to see it pass me by. How about Scarborough Town Centre where the bus will either leave 5 minutes before its supposed to or show up 10 minutes late?

Ticket collectors make $35/hour and they cant even do that right. Most of the time I see them playing video games or reading something. 90% of the time I dont even put my fare in if I see their not paying attention.

I agree with everything here. I would love to get $30/hour guaranteed - that's $62,000 a year. I actually make much more than that, however, myjob security is virtually non existant. An interesting quote from a toronto star article

"If you want $30/hr," reads the blue spray paint, "go to university." Beneath it was crude drawing of a penis.

Back
Top Bottom