The Ultimate Football Thread 2013-2014 Vol. 4 EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A etc

Again, more evidence, that he has NO CLUE what he's doing out there...

David Moyes: Manchester United needed two more big-name transfers

The Scott has endured a difficult start to his United career, and Moyes has lamented a frustrating transfer window where he failed to land the marquee signing fans were crying out for.

Marouane Fellaini was Moyes’ only signing of the summer, but the midfielder was signed late on deadline day for £4million more than he would’ve cost before a release clause in his contract expired one month earlier.

‘I don’t think it’s actually the squad, I think we’ve got numbers. I think maybe we’ve got work to do to bring in players not for the squad but to go right into the team,’ Moyes said.

‘It’s not necessarily the squad players we needed, we needed one or two who might have gone in [to the team]. That will happen.

‘But going back to that transfer window, we always said it was going to be a tough one and it was going to take a little bit more time.’

‘I’ve taken the punches and I’m happy to do that. Not for a minute did I think this Manchester United job was going to be an easy job.

‘There will be days like we had on Sunday and there might be more of them because we are in a period where there will be transition, there’s a new manager for the players and, in turn, there will be new players.’

http://metro.co.uk/2013/09/25/david...d-needed-two-more-big-name-transfers-4107806/

How on earth do you sit and tell the media that you need players to go straight into the team, when you have someone like Kagawa on the bench, Nani on the bench. But you insist on playing Young, Anderson, Cleverley, and even Welbeck.
Fellaini was brought it, but in the last league match, he looked LOST. He had no composure, no creativity, he was no real threat.
I'm still wondering how much rope the Glazers are willing to give Moyes, because if he doesn't deliver guaranteed CL footy at the end of the season, United will have a hard time dealing with sponsorship commitment.

He's right, he needs players. Let's not act like Nani is going to come in and be a hero but Nani should start over Young and Valencia now. Kagawa should be starting but he is completely correct in stating this isn't the only knock he will get this season, he needs help on the field and off it.

I'm not the biggest Marcotti fan, not sure about game changer but precedent was definitely set. Interesting to see how this evolves. It's a long time coming...

Kinda of funny that they let racist songs/chants/behavior occur but the moment fellow Italians get insulted swift action is taken... :rolleyes :smh:

http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/espnfcunited/id/9624?cc=5901

Sep 25 9:40AM EDT
Italy's recent racism judgment could be a game-changer
Posted by Gabriele Marcotti

History was made on Monday. Or, at least, a legal precedent of the kind that could in time have massive ramifications around Europe. And perhaps, eventually, change our match-going experience forever.

Sound excessive? Bear with me.

The Italian FA charged Milan for the fact that some of their fans engaged in racist abuse during Sunday night's match against Napoli. In accordance with the regulations, the stand from which the abuse originated (San Siro's Curva Sud) will be shut for one game. (Furthermore, individual supporters who are identified can also be charged under separate statutes. Had the abuse been reported as more widespread, Milan could have been forced to play behind closed doors. And had it been noted by the official, the game could have been suspended.)

But here’s the thing. Of the fourteen Napoli players who played that day, thirteen were Caucasian. The other, Juan Camilo Zuniga, is mixed race. And he wasn’t being targeted. In fact, the songs had nothing to do with race as in skin color. They were all about Naples and Neapolitans. And apart from striker Lorenzo Insigne, none of the players were from Naples.

- Report: Milan punished for fan abuse

The song in question talked about Naples being dirty, about Neapolitans not using soap, having cholera and stinking to high heaven. Another chant implored Mount Vesuvius to erupt and clean up Naples, presumably by killing all the Neapolitans.

It's offensive and tasteless, sure. But is it the kind of thing that should be barred from football stadiums?

The Italian FA is not just taking its cue from UEFA's new disciplinary code and specifically Article 14(PDF), which deals with "racism, discriminatory conduct and propaganda." And in doing so, it's basically acting as test case for possible future legislation.

Article 14 punishes those who "insult the human dignity of a person or group of persons by whatever means, including on the grounds of skin color, race, religion or ethnic origin." Read it closely and you'll see that while racism, ethnic abuse and sectarian abuse are specifically mentioned, it's actually about insulting the "human dignity" of a group or individual. That can easily include other forms of discriminatory abuse, such as homophobic abuse.

But what they've done in Italy is to specify what constitutes an insult to "human dignity" and, unlike UEFA, they specifically cite (in addition to sexuality) territorial origin.

Think about the implications here. So many of the songs we hear at football matches are insults based on territorial origin. In the Prem, two obvious examples emerge. Liverpool or Everton? "Thieving, cheating scousers." Chelsea? "Rent boys."

It goes on. Sometimes the insults are based on totally fallacious -- but perceived -- local stereotypes. Naples did have a cholera epidemic -- in 1911. Liverpool was a working class city with a higher than average rate of petty crime. As for Chelsea, well, I don't fully get it but I guess it has something to do with the area being affluent and somewhat effete by footballing standards.

The question is whether this is the kind of stuff that football should be stamping out or whether we're simply opening a gigantic can of worms.

(It's ironic that, unless you use the loosest possible interpretation, songs about the Hillsborough tragedy aimed at Liverpool supporters, Heysel at Juventus fans, the Munich air disaster at Manchester United or Superga at Torino don't appear to be punishable. They do insult human dignity -- in my opinion anyway -- but not based on the criteria laid out in Article 14.)

For a long time the stock answer was that abuse based on race, religion or sexuality need to be treated more seriously because it was predicated on real and preexisting discrimination or power-relations. Some people don't find that a satisfying explanation. Personally, I think it's a pretty good criteria to apply.

But how do you deal with insults between fan bases from nearby cities who loathe each other? Just 33 miles separate Anfield and Old Trafford. They can abuse each other's teams and supporters but the minute they refer to the actual cities of Liverpool and Manchester in terms of territorial origin, are they crossing some kind of line? Would it be different if, say, Mancunians had a history of economically and culturally subjugating Liverpudlians?

That's just one example. Rivalries and passion have always been part of the game's appeal. At the risk of sounding like somebody's mother, you can be passionate and intense without insulting the opposition. It's just that, well, for many it's a lot less fun that way.

Whether you agree with the ruling or not, it's clear that the game crossed a line on Monday with UEFA's tacit blessing. It may be a step in the right direction or it may not be. But it's a debate worth having. Some will point out that the "matchday experience" is already over-sanitized and over-commercialized at the expense of atmosphere and passion. (Part of me feels that way when I compare it to when I first started going to games at the end of the 1980s.)

Others will suggest that there used to be a time when going to games meant immersing yourself in racism, punch-ups, dope, vomit and public urination. Now that all that is (largely) gone, are we really that worse off? Are games really less fun for the majority? (Part of me is on board with this too. I miss some of the edginess though I don't miss the rest.)

This is where the folks who run the game need to think long and hard about what they're doing, how they're going to apply the rules and to what degree they're prepared to make value judgments on what forms of abuse are acceptable and which ones aren't. Because this is only going to work with very clear, hard and fast rules. And once it spreads to UEFA, it’s going to change the climate at games forever.

Above all, it's not something that should be taken lightly. And I'd feel a lot more comfortable about it if we had a much wider debate involving, first and foremost, supporters.

Last edited:
Again, more evidence, that he has NO CLUE what he's doing out there...

David Moyes: Manchester United needed two more big-name transfers

The Scott has endured a difficult start to his United career, and Moyes has lamented a frustrating transfer window where he failed to land the marquee signing fans were crying out for.

Marouane Fellaini was Moyes’ only signing of the summer, but the midfielder was signed late on deadline day for £4million more than he would’ve cost before a release clause in his contract expired one month earlier.

‘I don’t think it’s actually the squad, I think we’ve got numbers. I think maybe we’ve got work to do to bring in players not for the squad but to go right into the team,’ Moyes said.

‘It’s not necessarily the squad players we needed, we needed one or two who might have gone in [to the team]. That will happen.

‘But going back to that transfer window, we always said it was going to be a tough one and it was going to take a little bit more time.’

‘I’ve taken the punches and I’m happy to do that. Not for a minute did I think this Manchester United job was going to be an easy job.

‘There will be days like we had on Sunday and there might be more of them because we are in a period where there will be transition, there’s a new manager for the players and, in turn, there will be new players.’

http://metro.co.uk/2013/09/25/david...d-needed-two-more-big-name-transfers-4107806/

How on earth do you sit and tell the media that you need players to go straight into the team, when you have someone like Kagawa on the bench, Nani on the bench. But you insist on playing Young, Anderson, Cleverley, and even Welbeck.
Fellaini was brought it, but in the last league match, he looked LOST. He had no composure, no creativity, he was no real threat.
I'm still wondering how much rope the Glazers are willing to give Moyes, because if he doesn't deliver guaranteed CL footy at the end of the season, United will have a hard time dealing with sponsorship commitment.

He's right, he needs players. Let's not act like Nani is going to come in and be a hero but Nani should start over Young and Valencia now. Kagawa should be starting but he is completely correct in stating this isn't the only knock he will get this season, he needs help on the field and off it.

"We will try in the market, but I’m more than happy with what we’ve got. I’m very happy with my squad and the options we have.’- David Moyes August 2013.

Now all of a Sunday he's not happy with what he's got, and needs to bring in key players?

With regard to Nani. I'm not trying to make it sound like Nani will come in and dominate. But he's a hell of a lot better than our One Trick Pony on the left. Plus for big matches, Nani has experience.

I agree that United will have bumps, but some of these defeats could either be avoided or at least have deficits reduced. Look at United on the weekend, 90m of just trying to run down the wing and cross it in. :smh: Creative players need to come in, but also needs to be matched with a strategy. It's my opinion that Moyes doesn't have one.

Last edited:
And since I was just messing around...any other people think this formation could actually work?

View media item 591010

wouldn't our defense get torn up in that 4-3-3 formation? would a 4-2-3-1 work? carrick and fellani at cdm, rooney, inssert whoever on wings, kagawa at am, and rvp up front by himself

Yeah...that formation might work against a much weaker side (or in FIFA), but would be in trouble against most EPL squads.

Yeah, our defence would be a bit more open. But after watching City completely dominate United, would there really be a difference if a new system would be implemented?

however, maybe United should look into this formation once a replacement for Carrick is identified.

Galatasaray board of directors fire Fatih Terim. It's rumored that Roberto Mancini is one of the early possible candidates.

That is not Neymar's kid, genetically that cannot be possible. Neymar's part black and his girl is dark haired and tanned skin as well. No way. :lol:

I know kids have lighter hair and skin when they're children but come on.

Maybe the kid has his hair dyed like Neymar does, god knows Neymar uses dye's and relaxers all the time, maybe he used it on his kid. :lol:

Galatasaray board of directors fire Fatih Terim. It's rumored that Roberto Mancini is one of the early possible candidates.

dont follow the turkish league, but i was always under the impression this dude had his position on lock

Last edited:
That is not Neymar's kid, genetically that cannot be possible. Neymar's part black and his girl is dark haired and tanned skin as well. No way. :lol:

Maybe the kid has his hair dyed like Neymar does, god knows Neymar uses dye's and relaxers all the time, maybe he used it on his kid. :lol:

Lmaoooo we need Maury on the case :lol: that kid looks Scandinavian :rofl:

:smh: :x Don't quit your day job. :tongue: :lol:
:lol: :tongue:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

De Gea, Rafael, Evans, Smalling, Buttner, Giggs, Jones, Kagawa, Hernandez, Nani, Rooney

Smalling & Evans... they're gonna have their hands full.

Then Rafael & Buttner???   Wingers gonna be all over him.  

Yeah, I'm going into this expecting the worse... after the City game, I'm not confident at all. 

Last edited:
De Gea, Rafael, Evans, Smalling, Buttner, Giggs, Jones, Kagawa, Hernandez, Nani, Rooney

Smalling & Evans... they're gonna have their hands full.
Then Rafael & Buttner???   Wingers gonna be all over him.  

Yeah, I'm going into this expecting the worse... after the City game, I'm not confident at all. 

It's the bloody capital one cup...let ZAHA start!

Smh

Rooney captaining the squad too... Moyes is going about this all wrong. :smh:

Lmaoooo we need Maury on the case :lol: that kid looks Scandinavian :rofl:

Seriously man, Messi's kid looks way more ethnic than Neymar's, look at the picture. Not possible. :lol:

A) It's either not his kid
B) He's dying his hair
C) He did one of those pick your child's features doctor operations that cost hundred's of thousands if not millions of dollars. Michael Jackson style.

We don't believe you you need more people.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom