The Ultimate Football Thread 2013-2014 Vol. 4 EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A etc

BTW, I hate that the photo of Wenger taking a spill has gone viral. It's literally kicking by all accounts a decent man while he's down.

Atletico vs Real Madrid

West Brom vs Chelsea

Santos vs arsenal

All today, and I won't be able to watch any of them :smh:

Screen-Shot-2014-02-11-at-3.54.19-PM.png

I was being hypercritical of the play you replied about because I thought he or Montoya were caught behind the 8ball to begin with. In this instance, I would blame Pique more for that because he's been doing that all campaign, really the last 3 years (in which is form has declined). Having said that overall he played terribly & is almost the sole reason Seville were such a threat in the beginning.

I disagree about Pique being one of the best defenders for the Blaugrana though, Bartra has shown the most consistency all campaign out of anyone in the back 4. Alves has been inconsistent to. Perhaps it is indeed having to cover for Masch & Alba but Alves hasn't looked very fit & has been prone to silly fouls (while arguing that he didn't foul).

What good is passing & technical ability if Pique can't do his core role consistently & that's defend? He hasn't been consistent at all this campaign which has been the consistent story for the last 3 years...

It's football, one player can never be solely at fault for a whole team playing poorly and the other team playing really well. There were huge gaps in the midfield to pass through, and all the defenders were positionally poor. Like I said, I don't think he's been doing that all season though there's been a few games where he's been below par - including this one. Anyway, it's more like 2 years- he was fantastic in 2011, and inconsistent in 2012 and 2013. I think the biggest issue is that he has to partner with Masche who never looks comfortable, chases the ball too much, and regularly gets beat in the air. Hardly a coincidence that his inconsistency started when Puyol's injury and form troubles began.

Alves has been very solid for me - far better than last year. Bartra has been good, though some of his reads are poor and tends to be undone by physicality and aggression. Anyway, it's hard to say he's been the best, as the Sevilla game was perhaps the first in which he was under real pressure and he was poor. He didn't play against the Madrid sides, but it's hard to say he would have been better than Pique who was excellent. Pique of course deserves to be criticized when he's poor, but I think in general it tends to be overstated - all the while ignoring the bigger, systemic problems.

Last edited:
Huh... I guess we'll agree to disagree because I think Bartra has been very consistent but will agree that he can be over physical & aggressive but I'll take that in spades compared to what Pique has to offer.

I don't like a lot of sports pundits but most of them agree that Bartra has been the lone bright spot on the Blaugrana back 4 this campaign. The one Barca pundit I do like is ESPN FC's Francesc Tomas & he had this to say about the Bartra (although I disagree with the pairing of Pique).

http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/barcelona/id/2796?cc=5901

Key 3: Marc Bartra replaced Javier Mascherano in the centre of defence and, unsurprisingly for most, performed at a convincing standard thanks to his aggressive, determined approach. Despite facing the powerful Carlos Bacca in front of the relentless home crowd under the incessant rain, the 23-year-old showed the necessary maturity and composure.

Personally, I strongly believe that Bartra is now ready to become a regular starter next to Gerard Pique. The young Catalan has definitely improved dramatically this season and, considering the below-standard performances of some of his defensive partners, should be given the nod whenever major matches are to be played in the near future.

I'll agree that one player can't be solely at fault that's why I think the back 4 needs to be remade, the trouble is I don't think anyone on Barca B or the youth teams are ready to make the step up.

Edit - I'll also add that Pique's "dip" in form started in Pep's last year. He benched Pique several times during that campaign because of his subpar play. I think Pique has benefited from playing with gifted players around him that masked his lack of defensive capability. Playing with the likes of Puyols (in his prime) & then having Alves (in his prime) & Abi to cover, that would make anyone look great...

Last edited:
I've just been watching some EPL highlights again, and as we all know Suarez is operating in different universe.

I'm just wondering, even with CL footy next season, can they really hold on to him?

Surely Real will come knocking?

I've just been watching some EPL highlights again, and as we all know Suarez is operating in different universe.

I'm just wondering, even with CL footy next season, can they really hold on to him?

Ronnie salute. Either Suarez or Kun.

Ronnie salute. Either Suarez or Kun.

I know they want Kun, but I know Citeh will throw a small countries GDP at Kun to try and keep him to stay...

I know they want Kun, but I know Citeh will throw a small countries GDP at Kun to try and keep him to stay...
We all knew/thought City was a stopgap just because Atleti would never sell Kun directly to a city rival like RM. Similar to Mario from Inter to AC Milan.

Huh... I guess we'll agree to disagree because I think Bartra has been very consistent but will agree that he can be over physical & aggressive but I'll take that in spades compared to what Pique has to offer.

I don't like a lot of sports pundits but most of them agree that Bartra has been the lone bright spot on the Blaugrana back 4 this campaign. The one Barca pundit I do like is ESPN FC's Francesc Tomas & he had this to say about the Bartra (although I disagree with the pairing of Pique).

http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/barcelona/id/2796?cc=5901
I'll agree that one player can't be solely at fault that's why I think the back 4 needs to be remade, the trouble is I don't think anyone on Barca B or the youth teams are ready to make the step up.

I agree with you in that he's been fairly consistent, but like I said he's hardly been tested against top attacks. Before Sevilla, his biggest test was against Villareal back in December, and he wasn't good. He was beaten on the goal, and Gio gave him trouble. Against Sevilla, he was solid in one on one situations, but he was out of position at times and knowing exactly when to step out for the interception or cover is something he's still learning. I think and hope he has a big future, though.

And yeah, I do think we need to buy a central defender and a fullback. Not just because Alves is aging, but Montoya hasn't convinced and Alba has been horrendous since coming back. It really needs to be a busy summer for the club. Unfortunately, I have zero faith in this board.

Last edited:
I remember the "rumor" was back then that Pep wanted to sell Pique, Villa, Alves, & Cesc. I would've been all for those changes because it probably would've also meant that Thiago would still be at Camp Nou & the defense would've been retooled.

I would love to know what went on behind the scenes that led to Pep's departure. When I see him on the side lines for Bayern, I feel like an amputee feeling his ghost limb... :rolleyes

Buying a central defender has been one of the most pressing concerns for Barca since 2011. Don't worry though, they'll just buy another defensive midfielder and put him back there :pimp:

It seems some of the younger player on Barca B & below aren't ready yet; CB Frank Bagnack, FB Alejandro Grimaldo (I think he might still be injured), & then the likes of CB Rodrigo Tarin on Juvenil A...

I was hoping to see Bagnack get a little more time on the pitch in Copa del Rey games where the aggregate score was in Barca's favor but it didn't happen.

Bagnack & forward Adama Traore have been practicing with the first team some...

I just wish I could see some semblance of direction or a firm plan on what to do with these younger players that are coming up...

BTW abovelegit1, I appreciate the Barca talk... Don't get to debate or chop it up about Barca much (or at greaat length) in here... 'ppreciate it...

Last edited:
Yeah, heard that Pep rumor as well, and wouldn't be surprised if it was true. Think he mostly just worn down, though. I think maybe they were gonna pull the trigger on a defender last summer, but Tito got sick again and Martino wanted to assess the squad. There's a lot of holes in the squad: a 9, a central, and a 6 to rotate with Xavi should be looked into. To start with, they should look to sell Song and Tello. The rest of the season should dictate who else needs to reevalutated. And same to you, man - footy talk is always appreciated.

Rafinha will be back, and Deulofeu may be back. Adama could be the next big thing, but he'll need another year at B. Dongou seems to have stalled a bit so he needs more time. Suarez will probably be loaned out. None of the defenders are ready, and Grimaldo just got back.

Last edited:
What to do with Cesc? I think I can safely say that he's not Xavi's heir apparent as Cules would've hoped...I think he's fine playing the role he's playing now but it seems to upset the balance of playing time with Iniesta. Part of that problem however is Tata's strict rotation policy... He seems to favor Cesc though...

Iniesta really had a positive impact on that Sevilla game. He's been substituted in too much IMO. He needs to start more if healthy.

Agree with the selling of Song & Tello. Alexis & Pedro are ahead of him on the depth chart so to speak... I don't think Deulofeu will be back. I think he should be sold to Everton for the best possible price.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom