The Ultimate Football Thread 2013-2014 Vol. 4 EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A etc

do you feel mexican clubs overprice their players when Europeans come shopping? I think this is probably one of the biggest problems with them leaving, either that or the players don't want to adjust to a different country; different culture, and language.

I think Fabian might leave. I was reading his stint with Guadalajara ended in a sour note and he's having a good season under Tena.

Yea, I was reading about Layun so he already has some experience out there, hopefully he moves out again.

Liga MX is very competitive.

Sidenote, I hope Corona(not the goalie) makes it into the WC squad next time. Dude is the future man. Son's work rate is incredible and he has confidence in his game. Nice flair about him too. I am keeping tabs on him.

Do you now what's going on with Guardado? Dude was loaned to Leverkusen but hasn't seen much action since getting there...

I don't think Mexican clubs overprice the players at all. It's just that unlike other countries in Latin America (Brazil being the exclusion to some extent) Mexican clubs can afford to buy and sell players withing the league.

I'll use Fabian for example. There was always speculation that he would leave chivas for a European team. Clubs put offers on the table for 4,5, even 6 mil. Chivas wanted almost 10. Guess the owner (Vergara) figures why should I sell for 6 when I can get more locally? He went on a huge slump, and was still sent to Cruz Azul for about 8.2 mill. They offered him contracts from Europe where he would make about 120k a month, at Chivas he was making almost 80k a week lol

In Argentina, some small club produces a talent and they either sell him to Europe or to Boca or River. No other club can put the money on the table. Ezequiel Lavezzi is a perfect example. I remember when San Lorenzo was willing to sell him for 3.5 million Euros and nobody bid but River. San Lorenzo is one of the so called "Big 5" of Argentina, and they were still struggling to pay their players. River needed up taking years to pay that 3 million. Gutierrez (the Colombian forward). Is another example. River wanted him, CA said ok, deposit the money and he's yours (2 mill) took forever for River to make a deposit of 800k :lol:

As far as guardado goes, he was loaned out 6 months without an option to buy so just stay at BL is over. He wanted to play champions league and gambled to go play over there. Started poorly, found his rhythm played well, and when they were eliminated from both the cup and CL, Bayer had no more use for him.

Rumors in Mexico that one of them clubs with more money to spend might offer him a fat juicy contract to return to Mexico.

Arsenal to launch £30m move for Real Madrid striker Karim Benzema
Arsene Wenger will wait until after the Champions League final before making his move but knows that the France forward only has one year left on his contract
Arsenal set to move for £30m Real Madrid striker Karim Benzema
On target: Karim Benzema scoring for Real Madrid against Bayern Munich Photo: DARREN STAPLES/REUTERS
Jeremy Wilson By Jeremy Wilson, Deputy Football Correspondent10:30PM BST 14 May 2014 Comments4 Comments
Arsenal will renew their interest in Karim Benzema following the Champions League final after becoming aware that the 26-year-old France striker could be allowed to leave Real Madrid this summer.
Arsène Wenger has failed with several previous attempts to buy Benzema, including last summer, but the Arsenal manager would still regard him as an ideal signing if he does become available.
Benzema has one year remaining on his contract at Real, leaving the Champions League finalists with a major decision as to whether they renew his deal or seek to sell this summer in the knowledge that he would still command a fee in the region of £30million. Much will also depend on whether Madrid themselves are successful in adding a striker, with Liverpool’s Luis Suárez among their principal targets.
Arsenal asked after Benzema when they signed Mesut Özil last summer but Real had already sold Gonzalo Higuaín and Benzema was not keen to move. Real’s immediate focus is the looming Champions League final against neighbours Atlético Madrid but, after that match, Arsenal will inquire as to Benzema’s availability.
Wenger is also pursuing other striker options, including Bayern Munich’s Mario Mandzukic, but has made little attempt to stop two other players he has scouted regularly – Diego Costa and Josip Drmic – from respective moves to Chelsea and Bayer Leverkusen.
Related Articles
Where are Arsenal's heroes of 2005? 14 May 2014
How Arsenal reached the FA Cup final 14 May 2014
'Don’t be sentimental and ask me to pay ' 14 May 2014
Henry Winter's football hangout 14 May 2014
Pirès: Winning FA Cup will revitalise Arsenal 14 May 2014
Wenger's FA Cup final preview 14 May 2014
Arsenal have relied heavily this season on Oliver Giroud, who is also understudy to Benzema in the France team, although Wenger refused to say on Wednesday whether he would start ahead of Yaya Sanogo in the FA Cup final against Hull City on Saturday. Sanogo has been preferred to Giroud in the last three rounds of the FA Cup. Wenger’s main selection quandary is the goalkeeper position although Wenger stressed that Lukasz Fabianksi’s failure to extend a contract that expires this summer would not influence whether he keeps his place ahead of Wojciech Szczesny. Fabianski has started all the previous rounds but Szczesny is the No1 at the club and is regarded as Arsenal’s long-term keeper.
Wenger has also stressed that he would have no qualms about starting Bacary Sagna on Saturday, despite his right-back admitting this week that he was likely to leave the club at the end of the season when his contract expired.
Manchester City or Paris St-Germain are possible destinations. “I don’t doubt his integrity, his desire to win and his commitment at all,” Wenger said. “I have always acted like that because it would basically mean the guys are not professional. I have done that with [Samir] Nasri, with [Robin] Van Persie. If they deserve to play, they play.”
Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain also remains a major doubt for the Cup final, with Wenger planning to take a final decision on his availability after training on Thursday.
Oxlade-Chamberlain has been suffering with a groin injury that forced him to be rested completely after the 3-0 Premier League win against Hull City last month, in an effort to avoid surgery and ensure his inclusion in England’s World Cup squad. He returned to training last week – and was again involved on Wednesday – but Wenger is remaining cautious about the prospect of involving him against Hull. If he does not feature on Saturday, he would go into England’s first game of the World Cup finals having not played competitively for seven weeks.
Saturday will be Arsenal’s first appearance in a final since they lost 2-1 in the League Cup against Birmingham City at Wembley three seasons ago. That appeared to be the catalyst for the team to disintegrate, with Cesc Fabregas, Van Persie, Nasri, Alex Song and Gaël Clichy having all since left. With the Birmingham disappointment still fresh in the minds of many Arsenal players, Wenger is certain that there will be no complacency on Saturday against a team who finished only 16th this season in the Premier League.
Wenger also remains adamant that the outcome on Saturday will not influence his intention to extend a contract at Arsenal that also expires his summer. “Our target is to win the trophies but you judge the quality of the teams and their potential over the Premier League results,” he said. “No matter what the result will be, this club – and this is always most important – can deal with the consequences of any game.” But will the added pressure of not having won a trophy since 2005 make triumphing on Saturday more difficult? “A little but, at the end of the day, you don’t play with the history, you play with your quality and your desire to play well,” Wenger said.

Arsenal can have Morata, we need Benz in case Suarez goes down, gets out of form, or gets suspended for biting anyone next year.

Who do you guys have Fri / Sun?

Levante vs Malaga

Celta Vigo vs Valencia

Elche vs Sevilla

Getafe vs Rayo Vallecano

Villarreal vs Real Sociedad

Granada vs Valladolid

Athletic Bilbao vs Almeria

Betis vs Osasuna

These cats don't watch much La Liga. They're Prem boys.

3 Points separate 5 teams from 15th through 19th. Betis has already been relegated so I think mentally, they've checked out so I see them losing to Osasuna unless they want to play spoiler since Osasuna & in danger of relegation to.

I have Valladolid over Granada since they're at home.

Athletic over Almeria.

Villarreal over Sociedad.

Rayo over Getafe

Even though the squad has to be tired, I think Sevilla will win or draw with Elche.

Not sure out of Celta vs Valenca... My gut says Celta.

Levante over Malaga...

As for the big game... I have no idea what's going to happen. Barca should win at Camp Nou but this year's side looks lackluster in the back half of this campaign. I expected them to come out fighting with the heart of a champion during the last CL match at home vs Atleti but they couldn't handle the counter nor did it look like they wanted to put up a fight.

If Barca scores first, I predict they will win.

I'd like to see Tata rely less on breaking through the middle with short passes. Barca needs to try mixing it up by trying long & short range shots (at goal). Messi needs to touch the ball a lot & they need the likes of Cecs, Pedro, Alexis, & Iniesta to constantly pressure that Atleti back line.

I got. Barca winning. Sticking with my prediction from the preseason and a month half ago.

What sucks is that it's Atleticos best season ever and now they just might be trophy less. :smh:

Benfica :smokin

ya bajale a la mota wey
tongue.gif
I initially thought this was french, had to go back like three times to finally get it.

No fumo!

^ a little disappointed that they lost...
there's some good talents in the current crop of youngsters like Saidy,Tom and James...
hopefully the new manager takes a good look at them...

:smh: Woodward dragging his feet with naming the next manager.. i cannot fathom how he has such a great understanding of business but cant see the importance of wrapping this up

Arsenal can have Morata, we need Benz in case Suarez goes down, gets out of form, or gets suspended for biting anyone next year.

As a youth product, it's best that he stays :D

But 30mil for a player with a year left on his contract....if they can get Suarez, I think they will let Benz go

Benz will end up at Liverpool.. Arsenal signing him is equivalent to the united/sneijder saga

:smh: Woodward dragging his feet with naming the next manager.. i cannot fathom how he has such a great understanding of business but cant see the importance of wrapping this up

Manchester United are unlikely to name Louis van Gaal as their next manager on Thursday as the possibility grows that the Dutchman's appointment will be delayed until next week, a source has told ESPN FC.

The 2013 Premier League champions have been in talks with the Netherlands boss after sacking David Moyes in April, but a source confirmed that the wait to officially announce the 62-year-old may continue at least until after the Oranje play Ecuador on Saturday.

Interim manager Ryan Giggs met Van Gaal at a hotel in the Netherlands on Wednesday and the 40-year-old has been offered a job as his assistant.

The United board are keen for some continuity on the coaching staff and Giggs has some high-profile admirers in the club's hierarchy, who believe he could be a future manager of the club.

Van Gaal has been attending a pre-World Cup training camp in Holland and it has been reported that the Dutch FA do not want the build up to their friendly against Ecuador disrupted by news about the manager's future.

Utd gotta be careful with this...
there's no need to upset the Dutch FA,especially if they're gonna sign all their best players :tongue:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom