The Ultimate Football Thread 2013-2014 Vol. 4 EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A etc

I'm torn on the MLS and what the league is trying to achieve.

On one hand , I feel like the MLS truly, deep down wants to be a genuinely competitive league in the name of the sport. To have a real style of football ( ie. the way Spanish, German and even K-league have their distinct pace and styles) and produce a truly respected national team.

On the other hand, the MLS wants to fuel the popularity of the sport in the US from just about the ground up, and bringing in former world class talent is no doubt a technique to do so. But for avid football fans ( or maybe just me :lol:) the sort of news like Defoe and David Villa moving only to the major metro US teams just looks like lucrative retirement moves, subsequently making the MLS look like the over-the-hill league for footballers who just wanna cash in and live in NYC, Toronto or Miami.

I'd rather a MLS team build a youth academy than build a brand new stadium and buy nearly spoilt milk at a premium only to be able to enjoy it for a couple days.

Last edited:
slamcity slamcity , right now the MLS needs to do a little of both, add veteran players from overseas & try to groom young talent. There aren't many players like Diego ***úndez in the MLS. The US is still light years from being a truly world class footballing nation but under Klinsmann, I feel we're headed in the right direction.

MLS sucks man. They need a total rebrand.

Italian FA has confirmed that one kid everyone thought was like 35 for Lazio is 17 years old.

Kimchi Papi Kimchi Papi Eh, i feel you on the fact that they are light years away from becoming a truly world class league, but I think their goals as a league should be realistic as well.

Overseas veterans in the MLS are surely welcome, but I think this might bite the league in the butt when in 30 years the league is still going the PSG route and throwing the cash at the Van Persies and Del Piero's of tomorrow and wondering why they are not drawing the attention of up-and-coming prospects a la Borussia Dortmund (who I think have one of the most self-sustaining scouting talent and images out there). Prospects will pass on the MLS now, knowing that it will still be there for them in the latter years of their careers, and by that token the MLS sells itself short.

We're hyping dudes like Julian Green up, but if in 20 years time, 18 year old prospects don't at least consider the MLS as the next step in the development of their careers, opting instead to go to England and Germany's 3 and 4th division leagues, I think the MLS will have missed its mark and wasted a whole lotta money doing so.

The problem is no matter how big soccer grows in america, playing in europe will ALWAYS be the route young players would want to take.

Living overseas, playing against the best competition, Champions league, Europa, etc.

Here in america your always going to be 2nd fiddle to nfl, nba, mlb and even hockey.

It's the CONCACAF Champions League and yes they do. it has some central and purto rican teams and I think Canada but because the establishment of the best league in north america, Mexico always wins. They play 2 legged finals which I don't like as well

Copa Libertadores is the South American Champions League. now the thing is the CONCACAF CL is still relatively young so before it was even made South America invited Mexico to join their champions league. They did and I think they went to the final first time through honestly that part might be sketch but any way they never won to this day and agreeing with Chiva1908 in a rant he had the officials and teams are against Mexican teams (historically speaking).

That being said putting my first paragraph together with the second, Yes Mexico's top division gets to play in 2 champions league. I don't know any of the finer kinks in the rule book like 3rd and 4th play CONCACAF while 1st and 2nd play Libertadores but there it is

Love watching the Copa Libertadores. The quality isnt as good as the Champions League, but the teams play with a lot of passion. The 1000 ads on each teams jerseys and crazy fans make it a great atmosphere

Thanks for the explanation. So basically. Mexico is allowed to play in the South American champions league because they have a good league.

Maybe if the US team were allowed to do so as well, it'd bring in more fans. I'd watch if it was televised. But I'm not watching no Concacaf champions league lol.

Rickie lambert close to signing for Liverpool? Woah

What a career he has having man. Such a feel good story

Last edited:

If you were to ask Pretty Rickie a few years ago about playing for England or in the Champions for Liverpool, he probably would have laughed in your face....

What a feel good story....

If you were to ask Pretty Rickie a few years ago about playing for England or in the Champions for Liverpool, he probably would have laughed in your face....

What a feel good story....

28 goals in 2 years... :rolleyes :smokin. Pretty Rickie also had 10 assists this past season, more than the likes of Ozil & David Silva... :rolleyes

Thanks for the explanation. So basically. Mexico is allowed to play in the South American champions league because they have a good league.

Maybe if the US team were allowed to do so as well, it'd bring in more fans. I'd watch if it was televised. But I'm not watching no Concacaf champions league lol.

Not because they have a good league but because of Television rights and...$

Btw im not saying the mexican league is bad or good...no comment.

Read a report that the economy here in the US would have suffered more if mexico didnt go to the world cup rather than the US. Conmebol feels the same.

Last edited:
It's the CONCACAF Champions League and yes they do. it has some central and purto rican teams and I think Canada but because the establishment of the best league in north america, Mexico always wins. They play 2 legged finals which I don't like as well

Copa Libertadores is the South American Champions League. now the thing is the CONCACAF CL is still relatively young so before it was even made South America invited Mexico to join their champions league. They did and I think they went to the final first time through honestly that part might be sketch but any way they never won to this day and agreeing with Chiva1908 in a rant he had the officials and teams are against Mexican teams (historically speaking).

That being said putting my first paragraph together with the second, Yes Mexico's top division gets to play in 2 champions league. I don't know any of the finer kinks in the rule book like 3rd and 4th play CONCACAF while 1st and 2nd play Libertadores but there it is

They are against mexican teams cuz it basically South America + Mexico (outsider with $)
Conmebol knows however that mexico brings in more TV money than most countries in south america and opens the US market. Thats why mexico goes to Copa America also even when the US is playing better.

I would prefer an America champions league but i enjoy the way it is now too. In the end it is all about the money. Thats why Mexico went from a yearly league to apertura and clausura...mas plata

Last edited:

Read a report that the economy here in the US would have suffered more if mexico didnt go to the world cup rather than the US. Conmebol feels the same.

chiva comin for ya

what are you thoughts on the mexican league? I prefer watching it over the mls....i would watch SA leagues but I don't really like dealing w/ streams like that 

mexico making the WC is huge cause of their population here 

As much as I would like to see MLS in Copa Lib one day (not now, they'd get wrecked)...the travel involved would be absurd. NYC to Rio is almost 12 hours. Add a couple more for Argentina/Chile/Uruguay. I don't see how you make that work.

Back
Top Bottom