The Ultimate Football Thread 2013-2014 Vol. 4 EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A etc

The truth hurts but someone has to tell it. He is a product of Nike marketing hype. I've been following this sport for more than two decades and remember when Nike wasn't even in the soccer discussion. It was either Adidas or Puma. From the early years, players had to prove themselves on the field in big games before Nike would even sponsor them. Nowadays Nike sponsors anyone with a little buzz and labeled as a future phenom
+1 for the avy . -100 for the post.
eyes.gif
Yes, all those Neymar ads I'm constantly bombarded with here in NY has definitely effected me. I go to Times Square, Neymar. Turn on SportsCenter, Neymar. I mean, Nike even got the World Cup in Brazil just so the whole planet can slurp Neymar.

It was pretty obvious the Confed Cup last year was staged by Nike too, because there's no way a player can do all of this at 21 in just one tournament

Last edited:
The truth hurts but someone has to tell it. He is a product of Nike marketing hype. I've been following this sport for more than two decades and remember when Nike wasn't even in the soccer discussion. It was either Adidas or Puma. From the early years, players had to prove themselves on the field in big games before Nike would even sponsor them. Nowadays Nike sponsors anyone with a little buzz and labeled as a future phenom
Now it just seems like your knock on the dude is because he's very marketable :lol:. Nike does what Nike do, market their athletes pretty damn good. His club and National Team are Nike, Brazil is a huge market especially for a Soccer star. Nike ain't leaving that on the table for Adidas to scoop up, I mean who else they gonna hype up? Hulk? Thiago Silva? Oscar?

Last edited:
also i really want to know your guys opinion like i stated on sunday i attended the chicago fire vs. la galaxy and there were us reject chants from both ends of the field we have a "ultra" section on both sides of toyota park and i want to know if you guys think its as messed up as alot of people on the twitter world do

Obviously you're one of those casual soccer fans that likes to jump on bandwagons. The confederations cup is a dress rehearsal. Pros don't take it seriously. Watch the world cup and you will see the difference is night and day. Brazil will not win the world cup unless the referees cheat for them and the tournament will expose how average neymar is
Yes, all those Neymar ads I'm constantly bombarded with here in NY has definitely effected me. I go to Times Square, Neymar. Turn on SportsCenter, Neymar. I mean, Nike even got the World Cup in Brazil just so the whole planet can slurp Neymar.

It was pretty obvious the Confed Cup last year was staged by Nike too, because there's no way a player can do all of this at 21 in just one tournament

remember the videos of mexican fans after the US beat them in mexico bunch of scum they are
If memory serves me right,that was at El Azteca, in Mexico City.

I got money it was ******* Chilangos doing that ****.

Chilangos are the scum of Mexico majority of the time.

I wouldn't be surprised if the dudes throwing **** on the field today are either a)chilangos or b)Chicanos :smh:

As a non spanish speaker, what are those two that you just named??

also, my bad; I legit was curious bout the trash and didn't really notice the throwing of it till they panned to the BH supporters tbh.

didn't mean to start anything

This ain't news when it comes to Mexico fans :lol: this is what they are known for. They threw batteries at US fans in a game in Phoenix. I like a lot of the players on the team, but the fans are the most obnoxious, insufferable in all of soccer

+1 for the avy . -100 for the post. :rolleyes

Nike can't afford to do that anymore. Waiting for a player to become big then sign him, can be a risky game. A perfect example is Novak Djokovic. He was signed to Adidas, Nike didn't come calling, and he signed a 10 year deal with with an Italian company and then a 5-year deal with Uniqlo, look at him now. Dude has been ranked #1 or #2 for the past how many years raking in the grand slams. Problem is now, he's 27, and there's still some juice left on that Uniqlo deal. Meaning Nike, if they were lucky would only get some action out of him going into his 30's.

Sports companies have to take a gamble on players, cause if you don't sign up a young kid like Neymar early, someone else will, and you may be kicking yourself for years to come. It's wiser to sign potential at a young age, and if their talent wanes, you simply invest less in them over the years, or have provisions in the contract stating they need to reach certain milestones or it will be terminated. But waiting is no longer an option...

+1 for the avy . -100 for the post. :rolleyes

Neymar has scored 31 goals in 48 games for Brazil. At 22 yo, he's the 10th greatest topscorer in Brazil's history, and his average is only bested by Pelé, Zico, Romário, Lêonidas and Ademir da Guia [in Portuguese]

10th highest top scorer in Brazil at 22? Sounds like hype to me. Nike should have waited until he was AT LEAST 4th or 5th before putting him into a commercial. It's not like Adidas or Puma would have come along and signed him up earlier, I mean it's only 10th place in history.

Last edited:
It's always the " I know what I'm talking about, I've been watching for ____ years" like truth-serum and ilmat or w/e that know absolutely nothing.

I don't like Neymar at all at the moment, but there's no denying that the talent is there. He's Brasil's best player and did pretty well overseas considering a)he's only 22, b)this was his first year in Europe, and c)he handled the pressure of playing for Barca pretty well. The diving needs to be toned down a lot, and who knows, he might do so as he matures. @#$%, I HATED Ronaldo when he dived that frequently until the last couple of years.

Last edited:
Nike had to wrap up a deal for Neymar, He was the most hyped player in Brazil since Ronaldo, he was literally a mega star at 19-20 years old in Brazil,
He had always said his desire was to play in Europe so it only made business sense for Nike to tie him up to a deal,

One thing Nike always do is make sure the Mercurial players are all with them so when the highlight clips go viral etc. it is a great advertisement for them,
Look at Zlatan, CR7, Neymar, Rooney, All Nike sponsored players

mexican fans throw trash and european fans throw bananas... really a toss up as to which is worse :rolleyes

This. Plus knifes smfh
God forbid a bunch of trash and plastic bottles kill someone.

Rowdy and reckless fans are in every fan base. Ya think those yankees drunk off Bud Light take kindly to Mex fans?

If Americans were as passionate about soccer as other countries in Europe, S America, etc., there'd be a sharp increase in shooting rampages, good ol 'murica

Last edited:
Euro are more scum

No racism behind trash...just ignorance

Mexico fans are just sore losers....racist euros will throw bananas at players of the club they support :lol:

Back
Top Bottom