The Ultimate Football Thread 2013-2014 Vol. 4 EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A etc

That Paul Scholes video was great, his reaction is clearly "Damn do I still got that in me? maybe I shouldn't have hung up the boots"
laugh.gif
Nah bro it's clearly, "Yea this a over 50 league, yea I'm ***, I just couldn't help it *grins sheepishly* "

That's a 7v7 field couldn't have been much more than 45 yards out. Dude could probably do that 98 times out of 100 with his eyes closed. I remember someone once posted that story about how during warm ups Scholes used to pick out his buddies in the stands knock their beers out their hands. 
laugh.gif

I think if the Pato rumours are true, That would be a great signing for Arsenal, If he can get himself motivated (which playing with Ozil surely would) then he would be a good asset for the Gunners

In other Pato news im waiting for my Corinthians authentic Pato jersey to arrive from Brasil, Will get pictures in the Jersey thread when it arrives

Last edited:
I was watching the Barca game yesterday while putting up Duck brand window insulation to help keep out the cold draft so I didn't get to pay attention like I'd like. Watched the game from my dvr again before Homeland last night & wow.

Barca only had 2-3 shots on goal (on target at least).

Xavi is really starting to look old on the pitch. He looked to be struggling with the high pace of the game. I hope Tata is indeed smart enough to start pulling back his playing time. I realize he's a Barca legend but his lack of ability is starting to effect results on the pitch, & badly too. Very sad to see...

Kudos to Bilbao though. Their high press really bothered Barca. They even forced Iniesta into a rare turnover turning into that dag on goal Mastamind89 had to remind me about with the gif.. LOL.

Barca's back 4 is looked terrible too. Montoya & Adriano looked out of their league, Masch is continuing to play terribly & Pique... His problem is that he poorly positions himself so consistently that I think he watches film to practice being out of position. For someone who has such family history at Barca, his play is just flat out embarrassing. He really ought to be ashamed of himself.

Not having Alves & Alba really hurts.

Frustrating game to watch, to say the least. Agreed in that Xavi has struggled in high tempo matches this season. Problem is that him playing has been the only way Martino has been able to create match control.There's three players to rotate in the advanced midfield role, but the player who was supposed to relieve Xavi in the orchestration role now plays for Bayern. :smh: When Xavi doesn't play, the opposition usually has far more joy. I imagine Cesc will get more chances in the role throughout the season, but right now it seems to be a round hole/square peg situation. He gets caught in possession, and his directness leads to opposition counters. He's worse playing as the false9. Two shots in his last two games isn't going to work.

Bartra should be starting over Mascherano. It's not a perfect partnership, as he's similar to Pique, but his form and talent shouldn't be looked over. Agree that Pique was quite poor, but that's all a bit harsh. He's been excellent for stretches this season such as in the Classic, but he's very inconsistent - as has been the case over the last 2/3 seasons.

FBs were below par on the day, but both have been good this season - Adriano more so than Montoya. Alves is obviously a huge miss, but the bigger problem is a familiar one- against organized opposition who press the ball they still struggle to create penetration when Messi is out or less than fit. Saw it against Malaga, Celtic, Ajax, etc. Very troubling considering how close it is at the top.

I watch every Barca game twice. It's usually due to me not being able to pay attention to the match the way I'd like during the original broadcast (doing stuff around the house). If I had to quantify the times Pique has played well or decently, it's been about 40%. The other 60% of the time he's been horribly out of position.

Also, I can now say I don't think Cesc is effective as a false 9. It's obvious to say but he just doesn't have the ability to attack in that role the way Messi does. I agree with what Gab Marcotti said in his ESPN Monday Musings post -

Playing Cesc Fabregas as a theoretical "false nine" obviously isn't like having Messi in the role. Fabregas doesn't accelerate and take on opponents in the same way. He becomes another guy to hold possession in the middle of the park, which is fine when Xavi and Andres Iniesta are on top of their game, but less so when they're not.

Also, if you're going use Fabregas in that way, you can't keep Alexis Sanchez and Neymar as wide as they were at the San Mames because it means you then lack an outlet or a vertical threat. The result is a lot of possession -- 62 percent for Barca -- but much of it sterile, which is part of the reason why Athletic outperformed Tata's crew both in terms of shots and shots on goal

Cesc is a midfielder through & through. I guess this recent struggle brings credence to the rumors that Tata wants a tall, traditional striker come January.

In other news, @AgenciaNews is reporting Messi has won his fifth Ballon d'Or. If true :rofl: @ Jada... :D This twitter handle was the first to report the Ballon d'Or voting had been extended a couple of weeks ago. They also correctly reporting the voting results of last year's Ballon d'Or several weeks before it was announced.

Honestly though, it would be sad if Ronnie doesn't win this year. He's been amazingly consistent in his stellar play culminating into that explosive performance for Portugal a couple of week's ago.

Last edited:
I think if the Pato rumours are true, That would be a great signing for Arsenal, If he can get himself motivated (which playing with Ozil surely would) then he would be a good asset for the Gunners

In other Pato news im waiting for my Corinthians authentic Pato jersey to arrive from Brasil, Will get pictures in the Jersey thread when it arrives

I think there is some truth to the rumor. I think Wenger would be able to get a lot out of him. Would indeed be a great signing. Its more likely than Morata coming to us on loan which doesn't make sense.

I hope NBC wins the bid

I know not a lot (if any) La LIga fans but Real Betis fired Pepe Mel... Glad the fans outside of the presser cheered for him & was vocal about not being happy he's getting sacked. One of the more emotional farewells I've seen. :frown: Betis named former Villarreal manager Juan Carlos Garrid has been hired.

Also in other LFP news, the 2012-2013 league awards have been announced -

LFP MVP Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid)
LFP Player of the Year Leo Messi (Barcelona)
LFP Goalkeeper of the Year Thibaut Courtois (Atletico Madrid)
LFP Defender of the Year Sergio Ramos (Real Madrid)
LFP Midfielder of the Year Asier Illarramendi (Real Sociedad)
LFP Attacking Midfielder of the Yea rAndrés Iniesta (Barcelona)
LFP Forward of the Year Leo Messi (Barcelona)
LFP Breakout Star of the Year Asier Illarramendi (Real Sociedad)
LFP Coach of the Year Diego Simeone (Atletico Madrid)
LFP Fair Play Award (Player) Iker Casillas (Real Madrid)
LFP Fair Play Award (Club) Athletic de Bilbao
Liga Adelante Player of the Year Gerard Deulofeu (Barcelona B)
Liga Adelante Goalkeeper of the Year Esteban (Almeria)
Liga Adelante Defender of the Year Edu Albácar (Elche)
Liga Adelante Midfielder of the Year Bruno Soriano (Villarreal)
Liga Adelante Attacking Midfielder of the Year Vitolo (Las Palmas)
Liga Adelante Forward of the Year Charles (Almeria)
Liga Adelante Breakout Star of the Year Chuli (Recreativo)
Liga Adelante Manager of the Year Fran Escribá (Elche)
Liga Adelante Fair Play Award (Player) Bruno Soriano (Villarreal)
Liga Adelante Fair Play Award (Club) Villarreal

Last edited:
It's nice to see a rich club like Bayern helping fellow clubs in the league (like Dortmund) & most importantly one of it's players (especially a younger one). These are the kinds of things that helps to make clubs successful & attract the caliber of players you'd want.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/15/germ...ried-with-me-over-fathers-cancer?ICID=HP_TS_1

Hojbjerg: Guardiola cried with me over father's cancer
By Miles Chambers
Dec 3, 2013 11:49:00 AM

The youngster has revealed how the Spaniard came to his aid during a troubled time as he came to terms with his dad's illness

Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg has revealed how Bayern Munich boss Pep Guardiola broke down in tears when he found out the midfielder's father had been diagnosed with cancer.

The 18-year-old, who is yet to break into the Bavarians' first team but is considered a huge talent, received the awful news that his dad had stomach cancer and was unlikely to survive in August.

Hojbjberg said the combination of Guardiola's shoulder to cry on and club president Uli Hoeness' assistance in getting the best medical assistance for his father have brought him back from his inconsolable brink a couple of months ago.

"I was heartbroken," he told gathered reporters at a Danish award ceremony after being given the talent of the year accolade. "I went back to the club and I just started crying. I was completely destroyed.

"Uli Hoeness picked me up and immediately began to help me. He contacted the best doctors in Germany and got my father down here, where they began to treat him.

"Guardiola called me in and said: 'I have heard about your father, I am extremely sorry. Let's just talk,'" Hojbjerg added to DK Sporten. "And I just started to cry and I said I was bewildered and scared.

"Then he said to me: 'The people you love the most and who you are closest to, you need to hold on to them, even if it costs you at work'. And then he began to cry and I did not know what to say."

Bayern media director Markus Horwick insisted that the club have an obligation to help out Allianz Arena players when they are struggling off the pitch, such as what happened to the young Dane in the summer.

"He is part of the Bavarian family," he told BT.dk. "If something happens to our players, we help them. We fully understood that Pierre-Emile had been in a difficult situation and therefore we intervened.

"We have a responsibility to make sure our young players are coping okay. They come to Munich not only as footballers, but as humans. If they need help, or they are sad, then it is our responsibility to care for them."

Hojbjerg did have some good news about his father, however, whose initial diagnosis was pessimistic, as doctors now believe has a good chance of ridding his body of cancer.

"A week ago the doctors said that they think that he has a chance," he added. "In fact, there is now a good chance that he will survive.

"I'm sure now he will. It's great. It says a lot about the club that they were there for me and my family."

I watch every Barca game twice. It's usually due to me not being able to pay attention to the match the way I'd like during the original broadcast (doing stuff around the house). If I had to quantify the times Pique has played well or decently, it's been about 40%. The other 60% of the time he's been horribly out of position.

Also, I can now say I don't think Cesc is effective as a false 9. It's obvious to say but he just doesn't have the ability to attack in that role the way Messi does. I agree with what Gab Marcotti said in his ESPN Monday Musings post -
Cesc is a midfielder through & through. I guess this recent struggle brings credence to the rumors that Tata wants a tall, traditional striker come January.

In other news, @AgenciaNews is reporting Messi has won his fifth Ballon d'Or. If true :rofl: @ Jada... :D This twitter handle was the first to report the Ballon d'Or voting had been extended a couple of weeks ago. They also correctly reporting the voting results of last year's Ballon d'Or several weeks before it was announced.

Honestly though, it would be sad if Ronnie doesn't win this year. He's been amazingly consistent in his stellar play culminating into that explosive performance for Portugal a couple of week's ago.

You're laughing at me? Like I lost the award?

I'm laughing at you and the other fools who think Messi is a better player than Ronaldo.

:lol: :rofl:

Salt, salt, salt... Jimmies rustled too.. :rofl:

Does it really matter?!?! Both players are sublime talents arguing over which is better is like arguing over whether or not a Ferrari is better than a Lambo... Both are a great cars.

I just like poking fun (good natured) at ya. :wink:

I just like ribbing you bcs your always posting about Ronnie being greater than Messi (even though club & individual trophies) say otherwise.

But like I said before I'm objective enough to say that Ronnie should win this year, but it might not happen (again).

I just like ribbing you bcs your always posting about Ronnie being greater than Messi (even though club & individual trophies) say otherwise.

But like I said before I'm objective enough to say that Ronnie should win this year, but it might not happen (again).
Yeah you are objective, I see you giving CR7 props all the time
pimp.gif

As far as the Ballon d'Or, the more I think about it the more I think it might not be rigged like people think. The voting is not only done by journalists but also by coaches & team captains. I doubt Sepp has influence like that among the voting constituency where he & his henchman can influence people to vote a certain way.

The only area I can see Sepp maliciously‎ changing things is if he & his croonies are actually changing the results of votes. It's also ominous that FIFA changed the deadline & allowed votes previously cast to a do over.

I do find it puzzling that FIFA said the voting turn out was very low... If you had the opportunity to vote for something cool like that, why wouldn't you? :rolleyes

In other news, King Arturo signs an extension with Juve through 2017... :smokin

Yo nYcHipHopHippo, that avy is terrible... :lol: Did you lose a bet or you just disgusted?

Edit - WC Pots were released...

View media item 677741

FIFA today confirmed the pots for Friday’s World Cup Draw. The soccer organizing committee decided to put all nine European teams as unseeded countries (rather than ranked according to their FIFA ranking) into Pot 4, with one Pot 4 team will be drawn into Pot 2.

The United States is placed in Pot 3. They have a 25% chance of being selected into the Group of Death.

The draw will be organized so that there will be no more than two European teams in any group of four countries, and all the South American teams will be kept apart. Also, all of the CONCACAF teams are in the same pot, so the United States won’t be drawn into the same group as Mexico, Costa Rica or Honduras.

A pre-draw will be held to move one of the nine European teams into Pot 2. That European team will then be drawn against one of the four seeded South American teams.

http://worldsoccertalk.com/2013/12/03/pots-confirmed-for-fifa-world-cup-draw/

Last edited:
I hope we (Gauchos) get Mexico and England so we can kick both out early LOL

I bet most teams want Colombia, Uruguay and Switzerland as their number 1 seeds. Plus Australia as their pot 3 team.

Group of Death is:
Brazil/Arg,
Netherlands,
USA/Japan,
and Italy/Portugal/England (moved to pot 2).

Last edited:
Kimchi Papi Kimchi Papi nah man didn't lose a bet :lol:

its so people can see that i can laugh at my team being horrendous

and its definitely not to cover up how this team is slowly causing me to spiral into depression

see look, I'm smiling :D haha we suck its so funny :lol: :lol: :rofl: wooooohhh

:frown:

It would've really been nice if Tiger & Ronaldinho made an appearance... Shoot, they should've just made it an all-star vid & put CR7 in there also....

Edit - Working from home & have the Lille vs. Marseille game on... Why do the Adidas kits in all the other leagues look better than the ones in the Prem (except for that fugly Marseille denim looking shirt)?

Wow, Roux just put Lille up 1-nil in the 90th minute with a nice header... Sucks bcs Marseille were coming off a 3 game winning streak...

That Lille goalie though... He's the truth....

Last edited:
When are you fools going to listen to me. Ronaldo will never win a Ballon D'Or again. For god sake, the players and coaches voting turnout was low because they rather not vote for Ronaldo.

I don't think there is a conspiracy with FIFA and Messi. With how disorganized FIFA is, that information would have leaked out easily. It's not about Blatter or Messi. It's about how many people hate Cristiano Ronaldo. There has never been a more polarizing figure in the history of football that induces hate, more than Ronaldo. There will also never be a more unappreciated talent in the history of football when he retires.

All that energy going into hating Ronaldo definatly rubs off on coaches, captains, and some media members. More so the players and coaches; they probably hate him even more since they've shared the pitch with him.

I don't think people understand how much Ronaldo is hated out there in the world. This thread is far more Ronaldo friendly than the real world. Also look at our demographic in here, most of us joined NT because of our love for material possessions at one point, we're so much more about the glitz and glamour on NT. Ronaldo plays well with our users.

But out in the real world - where the average joe is looking up at the screen and watching this tall, strong, model-like "commander" on the field scoring goals with such confidence - its extremely damaging to the persona. While Messi is out there looking like the average guy on the street scoring goals left and right with such calm - of course people are going to pull towards Messi more. I often compare Ronaldo to that typical cheesy high school movie "jock" antagonist . You know the character; tall, good looking, arrogant, cocky - everything the audience becomes drawn to hate. While the protagonist (Messi) is some geeky nerd who audiences fall in love with and want to succeed. - Yea, it's like that.

The Ronaldo vs Messi debate isn't just an argument, people take this very seriously in different parts of the world. It's almost like two very different political movements, it draws that type of emotion. But Messi's party, has and always will have more people on his side, by a longshot.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom