The Ultimate Football Thread 2013-2014 Vol. 4 EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A etc

If I had the choice, Liga MX... I set dvr recordings all the time for Liga MX & MLS. Liga MX games are the first ones I view... Watching MLS is painful at times.

Making the WC for most other countries is a much bigger deal than it would be here in the states. Just look at the Bank of Chile commercial I posted a couple of pages back. Look how much pride they have in their national team. It was palpable. Here out NT making it is kinda meh to most Americans. Of the 6 other people in my immediate dept & also one intern, only one person will causally watch the WC & that's only when the US will be on.

for those that are looking to get more world cup gear but not necessarily jerseys with authentic print, sportsauthority.com has all world cup gear 25% off with free shipping. not sure when it ends but it saves a few more bucks compared to wss only if youre not looking for player jerseys.

^Holy shiiiiiiiiiii!!!! Repped

In other news during the England - Peru game someone in the stands threw a perfect paper airplane into about 40 yards into the pitch and hit a Peruvian player in the head. Not face and dude ignored it but still the chances of that? 0__o

Found video. Nothing like a chip. 12 yards out.

Lord have mercy 
mean.gif

I dont think Liga MX is that good a league, but I always root for Mexican teams in the Copa Libertadores. 

They are against mexican teams cuz it basically South America + Mexico (outsider with $)
I'd wager it's bigger than this m8.

But you're right about the money Mexico brings in.

Wasn't there an article a couple of days ago stating that Liga MX leads the sports tv ratings in the US?

It's actually a bit surprising European teams haven't tried to get more Mexicans aboard for profit.

what are you thoughts on the mexican league? I prefer watching it over the mls....i would watch SA leagues but I don't really like dealing w/ streams like that 

mexico making the WC is huge cause of their population here 

I think its a good league.
I use to follow it growing up cuz my team mates watched it and it was the only soccer on TV on a regular basis but now not so much.
My team was always Las Pumas Del UNAM.
Still watch them if I come across them on TV.

Last edited:
I'd wager it's bigger than this m8.

But you're right about the money Mexico brings in.

Wasn't there an article a couple of days ago stating that Liga MX leads the sports tv ratings in the US?

It's actually a bit surprising European teams haven't tried to get more Mexicans aboard for profit.

I think most of the anti mexico sentiment felt by South and Central Americans is here in the United States because all the Spanish language sports and media coverage is MexiCentric. I have mexican cousins and I actually dislike them LOL during the world cup or international tournaments cuz both they and the Media( TV and Radio) are all in your face about El Tri Color. My loud Colombian neighbor doesnt get hate cuz his team gets zero coverage on TV and we dont have to hear about Colombia 24/7. Its the same hate people have with ESPN and their East Coast favoritism.

I dont think that hate spreads to South America though. Latin Americans appreciate each others culture. In fact I think most of the music and TV stars are Mexican, Colombian, Puerto Rican and Cuban in latin america.

I think most of the anti mexico sentiment felt by South and Central Americans is here in the United States because all the Spanish language sports and media coverage is MexiCentric. I have mexican cousins and I actually dislike them LOL during the world cup or international tournaments cuz both they and the Media( TV and Radio) are all in your face about El Tri Color. My loud Colombian neighbor doesnt get hate cuz his team gets zero coverage on TV and we dont have to hear about Colombia 24/7. Its the same hate people have with ESPN and their East Coast favoritism.

I dont think that hate spreads to South America though. Latin Americans appreciate each others culture. In fact I think most of the music and TV stars are Mexican, Colombian, Puerto Rican and Cuban in latin america.

The anti-mexico sentiment is not just in the USA though m8. Some central and south american countries harbor animosity towards mexico for some reason. Is it mexico's success? Mexico's influence? Mexico's history? I don't know, but its unwarranted.

Mexico is the leader of the spanish speaking media world-wide as well as the biggest exporter of media as well. The whole mexicentric thing might be a recent thing as Mexico has always exported media(film dubs, telenovelas, etc..) in neutral spanish, but recently they got lazy and just winged it with Mexican slang, it's pretty tasteless.

Mexicans make the biggest minority in the US tho m8, who else should they be catering to if it's not the big fish that speaks the language of the new world? Last i checked in Univision, they have two commentators typically, a neutral spanish speaking latino (most likely mexican) and an argentinian (you can tell by accent).

Mexico's spanish is the equivalent of American english in the media world, specially in North America.

Your Colombian cousin doesn't get hate because Colombia is not on the same ball park as mexico in terms of anything m8(well, one could argue they play ball on the coca fields, but thats a different story), thats just a fact. Matter of fact, none of the spanish speaking countries have as much influence as Mexico.

Last edited:
The anti-mexico sentiment is not just in the USA though m8. Some central and south american countries harbor animosity towards mexico for some reason. Is it mexico's success? Mexico's influence? Mexico's history? I don't know, but its unwarranted.

Mexico is the leader of the spanish speaking media world-wide as well as the biggest exporter of media as well. The whole mexicentric thing might be a recent thing as Mexico has always exported media(film dubs, telenovelas, etc..) in neutral spanish, but recently they got lazy and just winged it with Mexican slang, it's pretty tasteless.

Mexicans make the biggest minority in the US tho m8, who else should they be catering to if it's not the big fish that speaks the language of the new world? Last i checked in Univision, they have two commentators typically, a neutral spanish speaking latino (most likely mexican) and an argentinian (you can tell by accent).

Mexico's spanish is the equivalent of American english in the media world, specially in North America.

Your Colombian cousin doesn't get hate because Colombia is not on the same ball park as mexico in terms of anything m8(well, one could argue they play ball on the coca fields, but thats a different story), thats just a fact. Matter of fact, none of the spanish speaking countries have as much influence as Mexico.

I agree with you on most of your post exept

1. My neighbor is colombian not my cousin.
2. Dont no one care about Mexico's history (Maya and Incas were way more accomplished and actually contributed to society with astronomy, architecture, calculus and chocolate). Also everyone else in latin america was slaughtered by the Spanish so its the same history in that respect.
3. Dont no one care about Mexico's "success" or their economy (Brazil's, Chile's, Colombia's, and Costa Rica are better off per capita). In fact Mexico is one of the most corrupt and exploited countries in the world. No other country on the western hemisphere gets pillaged for their natural resources like Mexico. People aint hating that. The Oligarchs and Politicians in Venezuela (use to have private oil) probably hate the rich Oligarchs and Politicians in Mexico but thats it.

Everything else i agree with you on. There is no reason for anyone in living in South or Central America to hate on Mexico...maybe they hate them for a bad telenovela or for a Mario Almada movie.

I personally "hate" Cuba for their great beaches, laid back culture, and overall swag.

I hate Brazil for Copa Cabana.

And hate on Colombia and Puerto Rico for their dope music.

I hate on Mexico for their Carne Asada and for Mańa and Ramon Ayala.

I hate Chile for their great coast line

I hate Costa Rica cuz they dont have a military and are the switzerland of America

I hate Venezuela and Panama cuz they are good in baseball and now improved in soccer too.

Last edited:
I agree with you on most of your post exept

1. My neighbor is colombian not my cousin.
2. Dont no one care about Mexico's history (Maya and Incas were way more accomplished and actually contributed to society with astronomy, architecture, calculus and chocolate). Also everyone else in latin america was slaughtered by the Spanish so its the same history in that respect.
3. Dont no one care about Mexico's "success" or their economy (Brazil's, Chile's, Colombia's, and Costa Rica are better off per capita). In fact Mexico is one of the most corrupt and exploited countries in the world. No other country on the western hemisphere gets pillaged for their natural resources like Mexico. People aint hating that. The Oligarchs and Politicians in Venezuela (use to have private oil) probably hate the rich Oligarchs and Politicians in Mexico but thats it.

Everything else i agree with you on. There is no reason for anyone in living in South or Central America to hate on Mexico...maybe they hate them for a bad telenovela or for a Mario Almada movie.
my fault, its funny looking at it now lol

Maya and Aztecs are part of Mexican history, if you didn't know (Where is chichen itza located?). I don't remember much about the Incan empire outside of Machu pichu, so I won't touch on that, but the whole accomplished thing, debatable. Chocolate, in particularly, cocoa is part of aztec history as well. If memeory serves me right, chocolate is a nahutl word.

You're right m8, nobody cares about mexican history, except for the whole spanish, gold, nueva galicia, etc... yada yadayada history lesson 101 etc...

You're right about nobody caring about Mexico's success too. I mean, all the foreign investment. Mexico's economy slated to surpass Spains in a year, mexico's investments in south america, im sure nobody cares about this either.

I won't argue about Mexico's exploitation of resources in this thread, but that's an internal problem, not an external one (I'm not disagreeing with it, as Mexico has had little growth in the past decade when it should have boomed).

There is not a reason, but yet, there is. The animosity is there m8, I can assure you form personal experience. You can look at reactions, specifically from central americans, in tv regarding mexico, and the people show distaste of sorts, where it comes from, idk.

my fault, its funny looking at it now lol

Maya and Aztecs are part of Mexican history, if you didn't know (Where is chichen itza located?). I don't remember much about the Incan empire outside of Machu pichu, so I won't touch on that, but the whole accomplished thing, debatable. Chocolate, in particularly, cocoa is part of aztec history as well. If memeory serves me right, chocolate is a nahutl word.

You're right m8, nobody cares about mexican history, except for the whole spanish, gold, nueva galicia, etc... yada yadayada history lesson 101 etc...

You're right about nobody caring about Mexico's success too. I mean, all the foreign investment. Mexico's economy slated to surpass Spains in a year, mexico's investments in south america, im sure nobody cares about this either.

I won't argue about Mexico's exploitation of resources in this thread, but that's an internal problem, not an external one (I'm not disagreeing with it, as Mexico has had little growth in the past decade when it should have boomed).

There is not a reason, but yet, there is. The animosity is there m8, I can assure you form personal experience. You can look at reactions, specifically from central americans, in tv regarding mexico, and the people show distaste of sorts, where it comes from, idk.

Dont want to make this a Latin america studies course but

1. My understanding is that Mexican only claim Azteca. I understand they had olmec and Mayan too but they dont claim that as their history. Mayan capitals and centers of culture are in Guatemala and Honduras. Further reading
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maya_civilization
2. Every country in latin america was raided for Gold or Silver or Oil. Dont no one hate Mexico cuz of that.

3. Dude Mexico aint performing. Overall their GDP is large like a country their size should be but aint nobody hating on their GDP per capita or growth. You know China and the US are just using them for their lax regulations.View media item 1000392
4. Latinos in the US hate on Mexicos media and soccer coverage but other than that why hate...its all love.
Mexicans think people hate them cuz they are narcissistic I guess. Mexican be acting like Ronaldo fan boys...dont no one hate Ronaldo...they hate the narcissism

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom