The Ultimate Soccer Thread 2010-2011 VOL. Premier league, La Liga, Serie A & Bundesliga

Originally Posted by rck2sactown

What the $!$% is Cascadia
ohwell.gif

I am embarrassed for not knowing
30t6p3b.gif

Cascade Mountain region. So like Oregon through B.C.

Portland's nickname is Soccer City, USA *shrug* I'd imagine they're about equal though at this point.

Portland's nickname is Soccer City, USA *shrug* I'd imagine they're about equal though at this point.

Well, at the moment by numbers yes. Theres all kinds of different angles to it though. Portlands attendance over the last 10 years or so in the USL has been much better than Seattle's, but our excuse is that Seattle, having 2 major league sports (rip sonics, the 3rd major league sport) only support top flight squads. This is backed up by the fact that in the NASL (the old soccer league in the 70's and 80's that Pele used to play in) we have one of, if not the highest attendance. somewhere around 25k. however, when we were denied an MLS team, the support was rather stagnant if not nonexistant. portland, on the other hand, had somewhat of a grassroots movement and the timbers army became almost a counterculture movement and it gained quite some steam. so the typical view on the two is that Seattle has an amazing fanbase, albeit aided by the fact that they are not topflight, while portland's fanbase is similar to what they have had all along. dunno man, im drunk. hope that helps.

the point is, both have had a huge history with soccer and i dont think its correct to say either one is number 1 (though i will always say Seattle beats portland)

Well, at the moment by numbers yes. Theres all kinds of different angles to it though. Portlands attendance over the last 10 years or so in the USL has been much better than Seattle's, but our excuse is that Seattle, having 2 major league sports (rip sonics, the 3rd major league sport) only support top flight squads. This is backed up by the fact that in the NASL (the old soccer league in the 70's and 80's that Pele used to play in) we have one of, if not the highest attendance. somewhere around 25k. however, when we were denied an MLS team, the support was rather stagnant if not nonexistant. portland, on the other hand, had somewhat of a grassroots movement and the timbers army became almost a counterculture movement and it gained quite some steam. so the typical view on the two is that Seattle has an amazing fanbase, albeit aided by the fact that they are not topflight, while portland's fanbase is similar to what they have had all along. dunno man, im drunk. hope that helps.

the point is, both have had a huge history with soccer and i dont think its correct to say either one is number 1 (though i will always say Seattle beats portland)

just went back and read that, and it made little sense. oh well! go sounders. and !+@% it, go timbers too!

just went back and read that, and it made little sense. oh well! go sounders. and !+@% it, go timbers too!

Originally Posted by o fenomeno

And you'd always be wrong
smile.gif

Originally Posted by o fenomeno

And you'd always be wrong
smile.gif

Back
Top Bottom