The Ultimate Soccer Thread 2011-2012. VOL 2 (EPL,LFP, SERIE A, BUND, ETC.)

abovelegit1 wrote:
You've obviously seen more of him then I, but I haven't seen anything to suggest Walcott is a great finisher. Nowhere near clinical and consistent in front of goal, and having him sit up top as an out and out striker would probably be a misuse of his pace and dribbling ability.

Theo's dribbling ability is his weakness,but he excels at running into space and onto balls at beating the keeper with calm finishes.For all his praise and the "clinical" tag he gets,RVP is actually pretty wasteful in front of goal but I cant say the same when Theo gets his chances.

Most of his goals come that way by cutting back inside and shooting far corner past the keeper. Good examples of this off the top of my head are his goals vs Chelsea at home, Spurs at WHL, and his goal away in CL against Braga . He wouldnt be a striker who holds the ball up to relieve pressure, he would be there to score so thats why I say play him there when we are chasing the game and need a goal(s) to rescue some points.

He has looked like crap this year because without any creative players in the middle his runs go un-noticed and he is forced to try and beat his man with the ball at his feet and we see how that ends up. Again just like United's Valencia if we put him in a position to play to his strengths I feel like people's views and opinions on him will change. (Probably not since he is English the British pundits will continue to bash him at every chance they get)

*Edit* Here is a quick video showing the examples I gave (plus others) from last season.

Yes we do need a true CF. Some might say I'm a little biased against Theo.....but he does have an inconsistency problem. Wenger said Park "is ready to play in league games." I haven't seen enough of Park but we can assume that he isn't as fast as Theo, in a one-on-one that is where Theo comes in handy. Not sure about Parks dribbling yet. But it is true, in the past the midfield has been kinder to Walcott

Always forget how old Arshavin is, dude looks much younger than 30
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by gil23

Originally Posted by AZwildcats

I'm buying a Mario Balotelli City jersey.
laugh.gif
this dude is comedy

Ive always knew he was going to be a great player, wish he would have been more mature when he was with INTER. He was omly 18 tho
ohwell.gif
I would like to think he will mature for the national teams next stint.

Substitue Ryo was then on hand defensively as he made a superb last-ditch intervention to prevent Cahill as the Gunners held on to secure a 2-1 victory.

Stock is going up.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by trunks206

Bean Pie Slanga wrote:
Can't wait for the Grown Men vs Boys Cup (Chelsea-@rse)
  Dec 27th 2010 Arsenal 3 Chelsea 1 FT

Mastamind89 wrote:
That announcer got me going, it's so much better than I imagined
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

Can't wait to watch some clips later

I was reading an article last night, Bergkamp was quoted as saying that Arsenal should switch to a 4-4-1-1 and RvP should take the role in the hole. I think it could work at pretty well for him but who would be a head of him. Certainly no Chamakh, Walcott has said that he wants a center position, he hasn't exactly proven himself worthy of so. The RvP Gervinho combo is really working well so far. And then there is also Park

Robin is a great player but we need a true CF for this club and Robin's abilites to shine. Yes he can score goals with the best of him but for too often do our wingers send crosses into the box and he is nonwhere to be seen because he drops so deep back into midfield. Fans then get on get on our winger, especially Theo, for misplacing crosses but with a true CF there would be someone always there to try and get on the end of them and they would look alot better. For example Valencia from United is pretty limited as a player/winger imo but he works well in United's system as you have players like Chicharito hounding around the box looking to get on the end of crosses at all times. We could do the same thing. 

While things seem  to be going well right now, so I dont like messing up a good thing, but I wouldnt mimd at some point trying RVP as a second striker behind Theo maybe when we are chasing a game. Robin can pick out a nice pass and Theo is a great finisher imo and with him playing the on the sholder of the last defender RVP can play through balls to him and nobody will catch him. We'd have a dutch wizard playing balls to a pacy #14 striker again.
pimp.gif

I'd LOVE to see RVP slotted right behind either Theo or Gervinho in a true striker role. 
I also 100% agree with you on Theo. His finishing ability has improved exponentially in the last couple of years to the point where its now being unfairly criticized. His finishing isn't clinical but since the beginning of last season, its been more than good. 

I wouldnt mind seeing the front of the formation lined up differently right now. Would be interesting like y'all said. And as a fan of him, it is nice to see Theo continue to get better. The kid's ceiling is high as hell right now
smokin.gif

<--------- gonna be in NYRB Ultra mode tonight, sorry Brek

This'll be my first time tracking MLS playoffs.

But first, gotta watch los Blancos sink the yellow submarine into relegation zone.
pimp.gif

In team news, Nuri Sahin is finally back training with the first team and should be back on the squad list in two weeks. FINALLY.

Haven't seen much of Park(only highlight clips) but he looks like he would work up front.

If not I would be more than happy to get rid of MC29 and get Bendtner back and he kill in that spot.

We are having a contest soon on UnitedRANT keep an eye out for that.

6 dollar FC Dallas tickets
pimp.gif

Tex Shea is gonna show out to them arsenal scouts that will be in attendance.

I cant stand this blank page Yuku #%+@ but I'll paste this here anyways...

Arsenal centre back Thomas Vermaelen is available for selection for Saturday's big London derby at Chelsea.

The defender came off with cramp in his calf towards the end of his comeback in last night's 2-1 Carling Cup victory over Bolton but following a good night's rest he has reported for training today.

Speaking after the game Thomas said: "It was great to be back and to get time on the pitch. I felt fresh, I’m OK and am available for Saturday." 

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/vermaelen-available-for-chelsea-match

@#+* YES!!!!
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Definitely rooting for Dallas tonight. It would be good for the league if NY made a playoff push but I don't like Hans Backe and after watching them all season they simply dont deserve it.

On the flip side I'm a big Schellas Hyndman fan and like what he's done down there in Texas. Either way this should be one of the most attractive matches of the playoffs.

Demps what's good with Ferraria? Has he been training? I remember hearing he might be back come October.

^
Schellas said during the week that if FC Dallas were to make it to the finals that Ferreira might see some sub minutes..

^Yes from a league office perspective it would be ideal.
edit: as it turns out NY cant meet LA in the final given LA is the #1 seed and NY is the #10
30t6p3b.gif
laugh.gif

if NY win tonight they'll face LA in the first round of the conference playoffs. 

Back
Top Bottom