The Ultimate Soccer Thread 2011-2012. VOL 2 (EPL,LFP, SERIE A, BUND, ETC.)

Originally Posted by quik1987

I hope Arsenal comes up big this season.
roll.gif

sneijder? ... deff dont need him, he woulda have been ran clear off the pitch yesterday, silva is just too much right now (although, i think jones woulda been a good body to put on him).. we need a true holding cmf.. i want diarra ,de rossi, or M'Vila.. cleverly is not the complete answer but he is a piece to the puzzle.. his return will sort out things somewhat.. ando plays great with him as well (which is saying A LOT). Still need to sort out Pogba's contract ASAP.. dont need someone else taking him on

oh and
"Man City fans have not seen a win like this since they were Chelsea fans"

Originally Posted by r9brockburst

^ Did we watch the same game? City mopped the floor with United. They were crisp and clinical all afternoon, with passes and goal scoring, while United barely got close to the goal a couple of times. United stopped caring (except Rooney) after the 3rd goal, when they knew they were the inferior side. All of City's players fired on all cylinders.
In no way was I disrespecting or downplaying City's performance.  Credit where credit's due.  Like I said, City were good, played well and did a solid job.  I just said they weren't "exceptional/spectacular" or whatever adjective you want to use.  But at the same time, they didn't need to be exceptional, given how poor Utd's defense was after going down to 10-men.  They went to OT, did their job and took advantage of being 1-man-up.  The 1st half was pretty even between the 2 teams, IIRC.  Mario had a great goal as the Utd defenders were also guilty of allowing too much room.  The 2nd half was a different story as they played the entire time with 10-men.  Together with being a goal down, they were always gonna play with a high-line to go for the equalizer and hence vulnerable to the City attacks.  Doesn't help that the defenders started to not give a damn after conceding the 4th goal.
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by trunks206

Originally Posted by solidsnake

The worst day of my football life today, you can't let them score more than 3-4 without shutting up shop. Six is a complete disaster and a result that must galvanise us, we've been below par for a good 5 games now.

And yes, anyone on an American internet forum about shoes who supports Manchester City is a glory hunter or got an unlucky pick from a hat 10 years ago.
i69jl0.jpg

Hold up did I just read a United fan call someone else a glory hunter!?!?!?!?

laugh.gif

Today surely is a strange day.

Everyone can trash United as much as they want, when people stop is when I'll be worried. Just don't accuse someone else of being a glory hunter, because United has been in my family for four generations and long may it continue.

The worst day of my football life today, you can't let them score more than 3-4 without shutting up shop. Six is a complete disaster and a result that must galvanise us, we've been below par for a good 5 games now.

And yes, anyone on an American internet forum about shoes who supports Manchester City is a glory hunter or got an unlucky pick from a hat 10 years ago.
i69jl0.jpg

laugh.gif

Everyone can trash United as much as they want, when people stop is when I'll be worried. Just don't accuse someone else of being a glory hunter, because United has been in my family for four generations and long may it continue.
If you go back, he didn't call anyone a glory hunter. It was just a retort as YOU were the person initially calling someone a glory hunter (I assume out of anger in that performance). Personally, I don't care why someone supports a club, because I don't care what other people are up to, for the most part, but I will say that I hope that you reserve the same vitriol toward the United fans that you don't deem worthy to support a club, as they are glory hunters, as you do for the City fans that you were lambasting.

i69jl0.jpg

laugh.gif

It's okay to admit you're a glory hunter
roll.gif

I'm a Barca fan as of 05-06, I just went with the best team to watch and the team with my favorite player
pimp.gif

I think it's a mistake to give much attention to where United stands after this game; to me the much more important story is City's improvement. United will always be a great team because of their resources and tradition. Really it's Man U, Barca, Madrid and Milan as the only four clubs with enough money to spend and enough prestige to draw in superstars and maintain their supremacy. So United will always be there.

But City is now threatening to pass United and all others aside from Barca and Madrid in terms of talent and maybe results. David Silva and Kun Aguero and maybe even Nasri are world-class, Balotelli seems to be inching in that direction when he's in the mood, and then they have all these wild cards like Dzeco, as well as reliable veterans like Yaya Toure. On paper there's nothing stopping them from becoming the clear class of the EPL and perhaps a legit threat to Barca and Madrid in the CL. I just don't think United has that sort of creativity and skill in their front lines. Is Ashley Young really on that level? Is Nani (did you even realize he was on the field yesterday?)? 
City still have tons of work ahead of them in the chemistry department before it can match their talent, but results like yesterday are a great sign. And the fact that their best players are 25 and under makes all the difference. If (huge, immeasurable if) they can form chemistry between Silva, Aguero and Nasri and then have Balotelli playing the Zlatan/Eto'o role, they can become an English Barca. 

roll.gif

at the fact that manure fans can not accept that manchester city is finally better than them.

and that manchester city did not play better and just took advantage that they had ten men?
manchester city definitely outclassed manure. silva outclassed manure.

to be honest with you manchester city is on a class of its own right now.

city still in 3rd in the champions league table, that fact alone makes me feel better about the result today, united just need to realize that buying silverware is whats hot, and get on that movement

laugh.gif

Last year when United beat City it was like "they have all this money and they STILL can't win", but now buying silverware is what's "hot"? Keep comforting yourself about City buying their way to success, but every title in modern football is a bought one. When exactly has United won anything with little money? Isn't United the richest SPORTS franchise in the entire world? Like they're Wolverhampton or Swansea City.
laugh.gif
Until United win anything with one of the lower payrolls in the Premiership, you're nothing but a hypocrite.

What a horrible photoshop job, but the title is good for a laugh:

9vMmc.jpg

Originally Posted by ELCHAPULINCOLORADO

and that manchester city did not play better and just took advantage that they had ten men?
Were you referring to my post, cuz that's not what I said.

sinner p

yes man. but i didnt remeber who said it. i couldnt quote yuku has been terrible.
And yet you conveniently left out the part where I said City were "good, played well and did a solid job."?
Did you miss the part where I criticized Utd on how poor their defense was and how they gave-up?

And where did I say the only reason they won was cuz of having a player-advantage?

You can't deny that there is an advantage when you have 1 more player on the pitch... but let put it this way, had both teams had 11 men, based on the level-of-play we saw yesterday, City would have still won, but not by such a huge margin, in my opinion.  As I said before, credit where credit is due.

I can accept Utd. losing... but not in the manner they did (poor play, poor defense, essentially giving-up at the end).  

Originally Posted by SinnerP

sinner p

yes man. but i didnt remeber who said it. i couldnt quote yuku has been terrible.
And yet you conveniently left out the part where I said City were "good, played well and did a solid job."?
Did you miss the part where I criticized Utd on how poor their defense was and how they gave-up?

And where did I say the only reason they won was cuz of having a player-advantage?

You can't deny that there is an advantage when you have 1 more player on the pitch... but let put it this way, had both teams had 11 men, based on the level-of-play we saw yesterday, City would have still won, but not by such a huge margin, in my opinion.  As I said before, credit where credit is due.

I can accept Utd. losing... but not in the manner they did (poor play, poor defense, essentially giving-up at the end).  

went back to read your comment and i misread. sorry about that man.

good game overall for city. as sweet as this victory was, but this does not guarantee that we will win it all this year.

but it did feel good.

****cant wait for people to start calling me a "glory hunter"****   

Sooooooo City fans. What's good with Carlos Tevez? Are there any potential trades y'all would like?

It seems like City is stuck with Tevez even in the January window. Corinthians is going to low-ball the heck out of Man City, they've already cited a "drop in value" due to his actions at Allianz. Inter no longer seems like a viable option with their financial trouble, probably looking more to move Sneijder than to add Tevez. Only other small possibility is Madrid but Higuain and Benzema are both in good form and Mourinho isn't clamoring for a lead striker anymore. 

WEST HAM WANT HIM 
sick.gif

BOCA JUNIORS ALSO SAID THEY WILL TRY TO GET HIM.

just get rid of him. why would we want a player that doesnt want to play for us.?

I agree with who ever mentioned citys chemistry being an issue.. they have no problem rallying behind the idea of beating United, its easy for anyone to get into that rivalry.. but what happens to them when they go down a goal or play a team who they have no real animosity towards? i think thats somewhere where united will always be one up on them.. yes we could spend crazy on talent but SAF has always been crucial of players fitting into the reds "never over" mentality.. We saw it a couple weeks back when city played bayern.. on paper city should be dominating practically every team they play but on the pitch they cant always seem to find the flow.. add conceding an early goal and you have a self destructing team. Yes they play in a tougher CL group but to say they are not the most talented team in that group would be a lie. Now city will start to face a real test: hard cl group, weekly games in cc/fa cup, plus the harder part of their PL schedule is starting..they still have to play pool, chelsea and arsenal.. do they have enough talent to walk through this.. of course.. will they? only time will tell..

As much as it pains me to say it.. silva is the best player in the PL right now.. with his national team form he could be mentioned up there with the other top 2 in the world..

Originally Posted by PersiaFly

I think it's a mistake to give much attention to where United stands after this game; to me the much more important story is City's improvement. United will always be a great team because of their resources and tradition. Really it's Man U, Barca, Madrid and Milan as the only four clubs with enough money to spend and enough prestige to draw in superstars and maintain their supremacy. So United will always be there.

But City is now threatening to pass United and all others aside from Barca and Madrid in terms of talent and maybe results. David Silva and Kun Aguero and maybe even Nasri are world-class, Balotelli seems to be inching in that direction when he's in the mood, and then they have all these wild cards like Dzeco, as well as reliable veterans like Yaya Toure. On paper there's nothing stopping them from becoming the clear class of the EPL and perhaps a legit threat to Barca and Madrid in the CL. I just don't think United has that sort of creativity and skill in their front lines. Is Ashley Young really on that level? Is Nani (did you even realize he was on the field yesterday?)? 
City still have tons of work ahead of them in the chemistry department before it can match their talent, but results like yesterday are a great sign. And the fact that their best players are 25 and under makes all the difference. If (huge, immeasurable if) they can form chemistry between Silva, Aguero and Nasri and then have Balotelli playing the Zlatan/Eto'o role, they can become an English Barca. 
-I'd add Bayern to that group. The Bavarians will always have their pick of German talent, and are probably the most financially stable "giant."
-Perhaps you were just listing attackers, but Kompany is world class too. Micah Richards could become so as well at the FB position with experience and refinement.  

-Not sure what you mean by an "English Barca." In terms of dominance? Certainly not in terms of playing style and philosophy. Yes, at times they score virtuoso goals (almost always thanks to the genius of Silva) where the buildup and finish are "Barca-esque," but that's really where it ends.  

Originally Posted by abovelegit1

Originally Posted by PersiaFly

-I'd add Bayern to that group. The Bavarians will always have their pick of German talent, and are probably the most financially stable "giant."
-Perhaps you were just listing attackers, but Kompany is world class too. Micah Richards could become so as well at the FB position with experience and refinement.  

-Not sure what you mean by an "English Barca." In terms of dominance? Certainly not in terms of playing style and philosophy. Yes, at times they score virtuoso goals (almost always thanks to the genius of Silva) where the buildup and finish are "Barca-esque," but that's really where it ends.  
Yeah I did mean in terms of playing style but perhaps you're right that it's a stretch. I think Silva and Nasri can combine beautifully, but the Barca comparison may be off. 
You're right about Bayern, I knew I was leaving someone out. Good call. 

Either way I'm excited about City coming together. They have a stupendous amount of talent right now. 

Back
Top Bottom