The Ultimate Soccer Thread 2011-2012. VOL 2 (EPL,LFP, SERIE A, BUND, ETC.)

Wonder how much Wenger was paid to put in Arshavin. Hope the manager learned his lesson at least.And yeah Ramsey was slow and trying to be way too fancy today. I'm surprised I was more upset with him than Koscielny today.

Good win by City. Hart
pimp.gif

BREAKING ~ Luis Suarez suspended for EIGHT matches by the FA and fined £40,000.
EDIT 

http://www.thefa.com/TheFA/Disciplinary/NewsAndFeatures/2011/luis-suarez-20-12-11

An Independent Regulatory Commission has today [Tuesday 20 December 2011] found a charge of misconduct against Luis Suarez proven, and have issued a suspension for a period of eight matches as well as fining him £40,000, pending appeal.

On 16 November 2011, The Football Association charged Luis Suarez with misconduct contrary to FA Rule E3 in relation to the Liverpool FC versus Manchester United FC fixture on 15 October 2011.

A hearing took place from 14-20 December 2011 before an Independent Regulatory Commission of The FA to consider the charge.

The Independent Regulatory Commission announced its decision on 20 December 2011, which is as follows:

1. Mr Suarez used insulting words towards Mr Evra during the match contrary to FA Rule E3(1);
  2. the insulting words used by Mr Suarez included a reference to Mr Evra's colour within the meaning of Rule E3(2);
  3. Mr Suarez shall be warned as to his future conduct, be suspended for eight matches covering all first team competitive matches and fined the sum of £40,000;
  4. the [penalty] is suspended pending the outcome of any appeal lodged by Mr Suarez against this decision.
The Independent Regulatory Commission will provide written reasons for its decision in due course setting out:

(a)          the findings of fact made by it;

(b)          the reasons for its decision finding the charge proved; and

(c)           the reasons for the penalty.

Mr Suarez has the right to appeal the decision of the Independent Regulatory Commission to an Appeal Board. An appeal must be lodged within 14 days of the date of the written reasons for the decision.

The penalty is suspended until after the outcome of any appeal, or the time for appealing expires, or should Mr Suarez decide not to appeal. The reason for this is to ensure that the penalty does not take effect before any appeal so that Mr Suarez has an effective right of appeal.

Woooow.

That'll be appealed (and probably knocked down a few games.)

...and what happened with that John Terry incident? Haven't heard much from the FA on that one.
nerd.gif

I can't read lips very well but I'm guessing suarez and terry both used the n word? Does anyone know what they said? I expect JT to get around the same punishment

I won't type what they said, but it was different... both have been widely reported, so just Google News it.

JT's case is still pending, but it'll be VERY interesting to see what happens to him...

Incidentally, if Suarez appeals and fails, his first match after the ban could be against Utd...

This Wolves vs Norwich game is contending for match of the season already....

Both teams whippin in those cross and shots every few seconds....

^^ Fletcher pulled the trigger too early on that last run...had he just waited another spit second before starting his run...that would have been a fantastic way to finish the match....such is life...

Currently finishing Bolton vs Blackburn....not such an exciting match...

I am glad however, that racism in football is being put up on the main stage....it's important that the FA and FIFA and any other league makes a visible effort to combat racism on the pitch...

The ending for the Wolves/Norwich game was crazy as hell. Cant believe Wolves didnt get one with how many they put on goal right in the last few minutes.

Originally Posted by eiddyfouw

I am glad however, that racism in football is being put up on the main stage....it's important that the FA and FIFA and any other league makes a visible effort to combat racism on the pitch...
yeah that and have a president whos plan to combat racism involves more than a handshake.

Originally Posted by SinnerP

****in' Man Citeh...
30t6p3b.gif
shhhhhhh....joe hart is insane in fifa....last time i played someone online he had like 15 saves
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Once this whole issue blew up they had to hand out suspensions, solid evidence or not. The times we live in, you can't risk seeming weak on racism.

Originally Posted by abovelegit1

^Fairness > Keeping up with appearances
It's not that simple. You have to think about the precedent you're setting. If you allow this, then any player can basically cover his mouth and say racist things to other players, and as long as only one person hears it you have immunity. 
It's not just "keeping up with appearances". It's doing everything possible to deter a certain kind of behavior. Suarez might be innocent here, but you err against racism if you don't have full info. 

And that article misses the point. Even if this is a proxy war fought by the FA and Blatter, the right message must be sent. The article also does what someone tried to do in that soccer racism thread, "it's not racist where he comes from". Pure +@$##*%+. When you're addressing someone's race, everything is pejorative. Saurez wouldn't be saying it just to be descriptive. Don't be so naive. 

Originally Posted by AZwildcats

Even with solid evidence, 8 games seems like an over-reaction.
It does, but from a business stand point they need to rid the game of this sort of thing to maintain the worldwide appeal of their product. Just like Stern handing out 65 games to Artest for going in the stands. To send the message of absolute non-tolerance you have to be heavy handed with the punishment of conduct.

Eight games seem harsh, but European football has had a huge problem with racism over the years and FIFA is sending the message that it's absolutely unacceptable in the field of play.

Well I can't speak for anyone else, but in my line of work I can't take the word of one man and present it as my lone evidentiary submission. Especially when Evra has been called unreliable and his account exaggerated in a similar previous situation (Chelsea grounds-keeping incident) by the same institution using his testimony as the sole evidence now. Granted this wasn't a legal proceeding, but whatever the case may be, Suarez's reputation is shot, and Liverpool's season is in the toilet, all on the basis of one man's word. Regardless of how noble the FA's intentions were in handing out this verdict, I don't believe they were being impartial and 100% fair to all parties involved, and that would be my chief concern. Talking about precedent, there is no precedent for the way they reached their conclusion, and the punishment they came up with.

No one is saying racial abuse should be allowed, as I certainly believe John Terry should be banned for some time. Suarez's case is just far more dubious.

As for that last bit, I don't know exactly what you're referring to, but the word Suarez used is actually not seen as pejorative throughout Latin America, rather akin to an Englishman casually calling someone "mate." Truthfully, the descriptive element of the word doesn't even register. That I can attest to, having witnessed such exchanges first hand. 

Originally Posted by back1ntheday

Originally Posted by eiddyfouw

yeah that and have a president whos plan to combat racism involves more than a handshake.

Originally Posted by SinnerP

****in' Man Citeh...
30t6p3b.gif
shhhhhhh....joe hart is insane in fifa....last time i played someone online he had like 15 saves
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Yeah, that's why so many people play with City now...Joe Hart forces you to make the rebound goal, or take the extra side step (in which one of the defenders might take advantage of)...if I play against City, I make sure I have a formation with 2 strikers up front....
Originally Posted by PersiaFly

Originally Posted by abovelegit1

^Fairness > Keeping up with appearances
It's not that simple. You have to think about the precedent you're setting. If you allow this, then any player can basically cover his mouth and say racist things to other players, and as long as only one person hears it you have immunity. 
It's not just "keeping up with appearances". It's doing everything possible to deter a certain kind of behavior. Suarez might be innocent here, but you err against racism if you don't have full info. 

And that article misses the point. Even if this is a proxy war fought by the FA and Blatter, the right message must be sent. The article also does what someone tried to do in that soccer racism thread, "it's not racist where he comes from". Pure +@$##*%+. When you're addressing someone's race, everything is pejorative. Saurez wouldn't be saying it just to be descriptive. Don't be so naive. 

EXACTLY...don't be so naive...his defense of "well we call blonde people blondie, and people of darker skin "negrito""....That is a ridiculous explanation...Terry should see numerous games off as well, the higher the ban, the more chances managers and players will force players to not make reckless statements on the pitch (imagine if RVP was banned for 9 matches, that would be a wrap for Arsenal). The regulators should make a very public stance against this...and maybe other leagues like the La Liga and Serie A will begin to do the same....

Back
Top Bottom