The Ultimate Soccer Thread 2011-2012. VOL 2 (EPL,LFP, SERIE A, BUND, ETC.)

And now we've lost Ash Young!? Are you $#itting me!?
EDIT ~ Jones rumored to be out 6-weeks with a fractured cheek-bone...
30t6p3b.gif

frown.gif

ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by SinnerP

And now we've lost Ash Young!? Are you $#itting me!?
EDIT ~ Jones rumored to be out 6-weeks with a fractured cheek-bone...
30t6p3b.gif

frown.gif

ohwell.gif

smh we MUST spend!!!! this Jan...

Hard fought win. RVP with his 34th on the year though
smokin.gif
Only right that it's him and Henry sitting atop the club record now.

This Man Utd game just got out of hand. Berba with a cute back-heel tap from point blank
30t6p3b.gif

At least pull one back Fulham.

OX can't get any play.....why is Arshavin still getting chances. I was reading a few weeks ago about Ryo possibly being loaned out, it would be great for him but Chamakh and G27 will be out in January. I don't think it would be a bad idea if Yossi started some games. Frimpong seemed really off today. Hopefully Wenger buys during January.

Eiddy, as a Madrid fan I'd be happy to part with Higuain if there's some type of agreement in principle with Neymar. Barca and Chelsea still worry me as players for the Brazilian international. Plus now's the perfect time to sell high on Higuain's goal-scoring form. There's not much separation in terms of quality between Higuain and Benzema anyway. 
Sturridge is begging for national caps with his play this season. Capello needs to utilize him correctly and I'm sure the Chelsea man will return the favor with success in the Euro 2012. Sturridge could be a force paired with Welbeck, especially considering Rooney's suspension in the early stages of the competition. 

Odemwingie is a very underrated striker in the EPL. He belongs at a bigger club than WBA. 

Nani is filled with talent, but his one downfall throughout his short career has been inconsistency. That being the main reason Fergie left the Portuguese international off the starting 11 for the 2011 CL Final. I would love to have him at the Bernabeu. We really need more offensive creativity against Barca in particular, something Ozil and Kaka have not provided. Another dream for me would be Gotze or even Wilshere in the Blancos kit. 

Bolton's sale of Cahill to Chelsea became more imminent with the punishment of Suarez and the impending doom coming for JT. Good signing by AVB that addresses one of their three main needs that I mentioned earlier. A rotation at CB of Cahill, Luiz, and Ivanovic should be good enough to compete for the EPL title (at least a top 4 place) given their overall defensive organization is improved as a team and Cech stops making uncharacteristic mistakes in net. My concern for Chelsea is that there aren't a lot of big names at the CAM position currently available. Modric seems destined to stay at White Hart Lane, Sneijder may be favored for Old Trafford, and Gotze would only leave Borussia Dortmund in the summer window at earliest (with an extremely expensive  bid). Romeu has been an absolute stalwart as the primary holding midfielder at Stamford Bridge. It's both funny and ironic that he only got his first-team chance because of John Obi Mikel's blunders early in the season. Lastly, Eden Hazard is another name that could fit the RW role for AVB's 4-3-3. He's better than his former teammate at Lille, Gervinho, and could fit well at City also.  

No offense but Stoke is only a threat at the Britannia. 

Troy, Liverpool almost has to buy another striker now in the January window. They rely so much on Suarez at Anfield and Carroll has not fit in comfortably to say the least. Bellamy has played well up top at times but the club can't rely on him with a top 6 domestic finish in mind. 

Man City will almost certainly replace Tevez with another big name player once the problematic Argentine international is moved. It's important to note that negotiations with Milan have toughened due to Mancini and City's stance against any potential for a loan. Mancini has constantly called for more spending and quality on the squad. At this point mostly for depth purposes. I believe they could use another solid CB, more so if Kolo Toure is sold to PSG. In addition, Adam Johnson should get more time on the pitch to rest the usual starters Silva, Aguero, Nasri, etc. Nasri hasn't even fulfilled his potential at Eastlands yet, I guess comfort and chemistry will come with time. 

DLo, you're right. ESPN Soccer Net reported it two days ago. Initially Van der Wiel didn't desire a move to Valencia and rejected their first bid, but I suppose his agent got tired of waiting for Chelsea and committing to Bosingwa (wrong move by AVB) didn't help the situation. 

SinnerP, Phil Jones belongs at RB short-term for United. Fergie's experimented with him at CB, RB, and CDM, but Jones is deceivingly quick and his pace is best served for the full-back position. He's made numerous good runs of notice in the first-half of the EPL campaign. Especially if United is unable to land a CAM like Sneijder in January, Jones' addition to the offense getting forward will help the growth and comfort level of Cleverley and Pogba (if he ever does get first-team action this season).  

Persia, I see the point you're trying to make but one prime example against you that stands out is Daniel Sturridge. He's clearly better than Cuenca right now and could end up having the better career. Funny thing is Sturridge came from the Man City academy, shame they let him go considering all the criticism City's owners get for spending and not developing their academy well enough. 

Classy finishes by Rooney and Berba to doom Fulham. 

Originally Posted by PersiaFly

Oh and the stuff about the FA going off Evra's word alone? Also !!+!%+$#.

http://www.telegraph.co.u...Evra-race-abuse-row.html

As revealed in Telegraph Sport on Thursday, Suárez has admitted using the term ‘negro’ to Evra once, but insisted this was not racially motivated.

So it comes down to Suarez claiming that he didn't mean it in a racist manner. He was just pointing out a fact about Evra's skin color. In a heated soccer match. As the two argued back and forth. No racism at all. Just friendly observations. Just like a song title! Trust me I've been to Uruguay!

Please.
Right, that's what I said. Didn't bother responding to the paragraph I wrote out explaining my position, but that song I linked as a laugh stuck out to you. If he did use the word negro, than that would perhaps alter my stance, but if you don't understand the concept of regional colloquialisms I don't care to explain it to you. Evra disparagingly referenced Suarez's South American background, and Suarez responded with whatever he said. There was reason to believe it wasn't malevolent racism, especially considering Evra and the FA themselves concluded they didn't think Suarez was a racist, and because use of 'negrita' could just be teasing. I certainly didn't think the evidence amounted to a punishment of 8 games and a fine, anyway. Plus it's been concluded that he has exaggerated accounts of racist abuse before. Yeah, Suarez abused him 10 times but no one on the pitch heard it except for Evra. Please.
Do you think Liverpool would make such a statement, and risk reputation by sounding like they condoned racial abuse if they didn't believe the case was bogus? They were privy to all the details of the case, and to release such a statement strongly suggests serious doubt. I certainly don't believe a vehement anti-racism campaigner like John Henry would sign off on that statement, if he thought the case was as cut and dry as you're making it out to be. Enjoyed the sarcasm, btw; truly the lowest form of wit. Run out of Justin Bieber insults, have you? Shame.

HugeBird, there isn't any video of the incident to my knowledge. Terry's is on video for everyone to see and it certainly seemed to be with vicious intent. Reasonable doubt regarding whether or not it was racially motivated abuse isn't naivety. That said, the possibility that he used the word negro, and the further details sure to come out may change my stance either way.

The central issue is that you think there is such a thing as "benevolent racism".

Your attitude is stuck in the past, when was ok to "tease" about race.

As a society, we moved on from that.We decided to not try to make an objective assessment of which racism is benevolent, because both breeds do terrible damage. I have a feeling Patrice Evra didn't see benevolence in Suarez's words. And Balotelli probably doesn't see benevolence when Italian fans chant "there are no black Italians" at him.

There is no benevolent racism because racism is by definition malevolent.

Get with the times bro.

Uh, no. That's not what I think at all. There is/was reason to believe he wasn't being racist based on the details of the case I read/saw. Not cut and dry, but maybe that's just me. And Liverpool. And John Henry. And everyone else who doesn't agree with the punishment and questions the FA's process/motivations, and whether Suarez got a fair hearing. 
Don't put words in my mouth, bro.

Originally Posted by ChampCruThik

SinnerP, Phil Jones belongs at RB short-term for United. Fergie's experimented with him at CB, RB, and CDM, but Jones is deceivingly quick and his pace is best served for the full-back position. He's made numerous good runs of notice in the first-half of the EPL campaign. Especially if United is unable to land a CAM like Sneijder in January, Jones' addition to the offense getting forward will help the growth and comfort level of Cleverley and Pogba (if he ever does get first-team action this season).

short-term,maybe...only due to Smalling and the Da Silva twins' injuries...
but i believe Jones is best suited in a central position,either at CB or CDM...
he reminds me of former captain Steve Bruce...he loved moving the ball forward and likes to create problems in the opposition box from setpieces...

unfortunate he got injured in the game...could be out for at least 5-6 weeks...Ashley Young too,probably 2-3 weeks...
frown.gif

damn...when will Utd ever get a full squad healthy again?
mad.gif

couldn't watch the game today due to work, glad we got the W but i see in here there were injuries, i'm not surprised

EDIT: WOW at that video thats crazy

Originally Posted by Keepie Uppie

Originally Posted by ChampCruThik

short-term,maybe...only due to Smalling and the Da Silva twins' injuries...
but i believe Jones is best suited in a central position,either at CB or CDM...
he reminds me of former captain Steve Bruce...he loved moving the ball forward and likes to create problems in the opposition box from setpieces...

unfortunate he got injured in the game...could be out for at least 5-6 weeks...Ashley Young too,probably 2-3 weeks...
frown.gif

damn...when will Utd ever get a full squad healthy again?
mad.gif
Anyway, to comment on this...
TBH, I wasn't sure what type of a player Phil Jones was when they first signed him.  I knew he was a defender, but that was about it.  Now, after a bunch of games, surely it's SAF's long-term intention to put him and Smalling at CB with the twins at the corners?  I thought his CMF experiment was reasonable good... but I guess that's what Cleverly's for.  Good thing is that Jones's versatility will be useful.  Do you think Jones is more effective overlapping the wingers, or cutting through the center?

frown.gif

Fletcher

Vidic

Fabio

Anderson

Owen

Cleverly

Jones

Young...

frown.gif

No matter what Phil Jones' ultimate position ends up being, he's been worth every penny thus far for United. I would argue he's been one of if not the best defender in the first-half of the season. Fergie's hand is forced to buy another CB in the January window with the Vidic and Jones injuries, coupled with Ferdinand's declining play. Jonny Evans has not offered any glimmer of hope for United fans at CB. Back to my original point, Jones and Smalling will be rock solid protecting De Gea (United) and Hart (England) in the foreseeable future.
Don't forget fellas, Chelsea vs. Spurs today White Hart Lane on ESPN 2 at 2:50 PM EST. I've got Blues 2-1 on a Sturridge or Mata winner. 

Journos are saying Bale is fit. That will be a nightmare for the Chelsea backline. I can't see Chelsea coming out with more than a point.

Back
Top Bottom