The Ultimate Soccer Thread 2011-2012. VOL 2 (EPL,LFP, SERIE A, BUND, ETC.)

Curz Azul 4 - 0 Deportivo Tachira
pimp.gif

Ceuz Azul in Libertadores
pimp.gif

felt good to call the correct scoreline before the game today, and i expect napoli to get at least 2 goals in chelsea's house

Originally Posted by ChampCruThik

Please take a look at my in-depth analysis of Chelsea's current problems under Andre Villas-Boas.
http://realsoccertalk.wordpress.com/2012/02/22/chelsea-fcs-monumental-problems-roman-downfall/

I welcome any and all constructive feedback. 
I agree with you on bringing in Falcao. I don't watch many Chelsea games but they could have benefited alot by signing him. Dude was a beast at Porto and is still doing work even on a mediocre squad like Atletico Madrid (tied for 3rd in goals with Higuain). It's also a shame that these Luiz has regressed so much...dude was pretty good when he played for Benfica and even for his first 2-3 matches for Chelsea
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by black chiney

Originally Posted by CoupeIt88

Why didn't Real Madrid wear there BWIN advertisement?

In Russia, you can't advertise gambling.

wish i can get my hands on those sponsor-less Real kit...clean and classy...
pimp.gif

EDIT: no English teams in the CL quarterfinals?
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by nawlinsjunkie

Please take a look at my in-depth analysis of Chelsea's current problems under Andre Villas-Boas.
http://realsoccertalk.wordpress.com/2012/02/22/chelsea-fcs-monumental-problems-roman-downfall/

I agree with you on bringing in Falcao. I don't watch many Chelsea games but they could have benefited alot by signing him. Dude was a beast at Porto and is still doing work even on a mediocre squad like Atletico Madrid (tied for 3rd in goals with Higuain). It's also a shame that these Luiz has regressed so much...dude was pretty good when he played for Benfica and even for his first 2-3 matches for Chelsea
laugh.gif

indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by nawlinsjunkie

laugh.gif
Honestly, I can tell that you don't watch many Chelsea matches because your evaluation isn't exactly accurate. Falcao is a poacher, which means he relies on supply and intelligent runs in the box to get his goals. In my estimation he may have scored two or three more goals than Torres at this juncture, because as much as the media would like to put it all on Torres, it's really not.

As for your David Luiz regression comment, really, he hasn't regressed, he is just a young player with TOO much confidence in his skill set, and where he could get away with it in the Premeira Liga, he is being punished at the top level. For some spells and stretches, he is not only the most important player at the back, but when AVB's designed attack is becoming stagnant there are times when Luiz is actually the most dangerous player going forward. He's a world-class talent, who is still learning that sometimes it's just better to put your foot through the ball and concede a corner, and that it's okay to play a back pass and not get caught with the ball trying to build in attack. I have no fear in the future with Luiz, and with Mata, I have no doubt he will be part of the back bone of the team going forward.

I will outline some of the issues that I have with AVB's system/selection that I feel have caused the most detriment to the team this season, thus far.

1) The Portuguese. I was excited with the acquisition of Meireles, as I thought that he would play the role that he did at Liverpool, which was frequently providing the killer ball in the final third that can open up a back line. Because they weren't able to sign Modric, I believed that his was a great addition for the price. I honestly can only recall two (possibly 3) times where he has been played in this role the entire season. He has frequently been played in the most defensive role in the midfield trio, and when the tactics switch, as one of the 2 DM's in the 4-2-3-1. As shown against Napoli for the first Lavezzi goal, saying he is an average tackler would be a bit of a stretch, and his positioning and understanding of that role are even worse. His skill set is ENTIRELY wasted playing him in that position, and with Mikel and Essien fit, along with the play of Romeu in the earlier stretches of the season, it honestly makes zero sense to play him in that role.
Then there is Bosingwa, whose positioning, tackling, and effort have been the biggest reason for most of the Chelsea defensive capitulations this season. Even when they had a fully fit back line, he was an automatic selection over Branislav, who may not provide as much going forward (which to be honest I am not even sure of, his crossing this season has been better than Jose's), but will not leave a swinging gate at the back. You hate to say this, but I was excited at the possibility of Bosingwa not being fit, and Meireles being suspended for the 2nd leg of the CL.

2) The 4-3-3 is limited because of his selection (for the past 3 years the supporters have been begging the brass to sign a creative mid and true wingers to no avail), but you have to ask at what point do you as a manager try to adapt to your team rather than have your team adapt to you. One of the biggest problems is on the left side of the pitch. In AVB's system, the outside backs are there to provide the width and hit in crosses, but Ashley Cole has never been a crosser, and has always thrived linking up passing with the players on the left. With Mata being the best attacking option for Chelsea, AVB has given him freedom to roam, and as he is seeing less of the ball on the left, he turns less of an 11, and more into a 10 role moving inside to get the ball, leaving no one on the left side of the attack outside of Cole, who isn't going to take on a defender, so he usually will pass back inside making the attack slow and predictable. AVB, obviously wanted to address this, and has not started to go to a 4-2-3-1 now, but unfortunately, he is still getting the selection wrong. The lack of wingers is really hurting the team, because as well as he has played, having Danny play on the right, I believe has him wasting away. He is always a CF, and there are situations in which he gets himself into a good position, but due to his lack of quality in passing and crossing or CF decision making he will go at it on his own, and not be able to capitalize on goal scoring opportunities that he has made by himself. No he does not have the players to play the system that he wants, so for me, it goes back to the question, isn't it the manager's job to adapt to get the best results for his club?

Originally Posted by hugebird

eek.gif
sick.gif
@ the first XI for Chelsea. Malouda, Bos, and Meireles in the team make it hard to trust AVB. I really want the sacking talk to cease, but really his selection continues to baffle.

Leaving Cole, Essien, and Lamps on the bench in favor of Meireles, Ramires, and Boswinga/Ivanovic. 
30t6p3b.gif

Losing is bad enough. But it's worse when the players who give us the best shot to win are not seeing the pitch. 
30t6p3b.gif

Ironically after the match AVB said if we had won, nobody would be criticizing his selections. But he has been making poor selections since he got here and we haven't won. And he has the nerve to ask for Abramovich to publicly support him. When he has done nothing to earn it. 

Basilea with the W!

Velez with a 3 goal W against Chivas in Libertadores...

I recommend all of you start watching mexican and latinamerican soccer...

honestly I do watch from time to time but I can't get myself to concentrate on Latin soccer, grew up supporting Santos Laguna cuz of my father but see major differences strategically/skillwise between Latin and European football.

Dad has a joke with friends saying santos is the reason america is doing so well... Benitez and the other guy who transferred 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by M4rioL

honestly I do watch from time to time but I can't get myself to concentrate on Latin soccer, grew up supporting Santos Laguna cuz of my father but see major differences strategically/skillwise between Latin and European football.

Dad has a joke with friends saying santos is the reason america is doing so well... Benitez and the other guy who transferred 
laugh.gif

Benitez is a GOD in Fifa 12
laugh.gif
pimp.gif
When you pick America, you get matched up with MLS squads who Benitez rips apart. Dude is basically Eto'o in the game
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by M4rioL

laugh.gif
Yeah, it's different but I love the emotion of it and I watch soccer form all places, being form Spain myself y always watch Valencia and having cable you get BPL, Eridiviese, Campeonato Paulista, German League, etc matches over here...

Santos
pimp.gif
'Eterno subcampeon' just like my Cruz Azul
laugh.gif
A really offensive squad, love Darwin Quintero, Suarez and 'Guti' Estrada... They just signed a spanish player, Marc Crosas, built up in La Masia, just played 1 game but I see a lot of good things for him...

I headed over to Madrid with my GF and I was lucky to get to watch a game at the Santiago Bernabeu (Real vs Racing) during our 5 days there. I thought I'd share some of the pics with my fellow football heads in here.

Sorry for all the pics I went a little crazy (these are like 1/4 of them 
laugh.gif
).

The experience at the stadium, well Madrid in general, was awesome. It goes without saying but its somewhere that should be on every football fan's bucket list.

real dope man, I got pics back years ago when i went to England for games, I should dig those out the archive.

trunks206. dope pics man. i actually went to spain this past summer, and got to watch a match at the Camp Nou (Barca-Villareal home opener).

Yea for sure, completely amazing experience to watch a la liga game in person.

Russian transfer window is still open.

Reportedly, Chris Samba has been sold to nouveau-riche Anzhi for 7.5 mil.

Much to the relief of Arsenal fans, Arshavin could still be moved.

Originally Posted by DLo13

Russian transfer window is still open.

Reportedly, Chris Samba has been sold to nouveau-riche Anzhi for 7.5 mil.

Much to the relief of Arsenal fans, Arshavin could still be moved.
I would have liked to see Samba play for Chelsea instead of Cahill 
mad.gif

Back
Top Bottom