The Ultimate Soccer Thread 2012-2013 Vol. 3 Premier League, La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga etc

Just had the time to watch the Man City game :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Southampton had all the energy, well deserved :pimp:

Just had the time to watch the Man City game :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Southampton had all the energy, well deserved :pimp:

I agree, the Blues looked really flat.

Anyone ever think footy has a problem HGH & other performance enhancers? Looking at Man U games this season, I see Giggsy sprinting across the field & he's sometimes faster than any force kids on the pitch... Dude is 39 outrunning youngsters... What do you guys think?

I think they are too active to be using anything of that sort.

Baseball players use it because they're bums and sit around 3/4 of the game.

Originally Posted by HAM CITY  

The current team? They really don't have one. They're suffering from an identity crisis at the moment.

Imo.. I don't think the US MNT ever really had a style or approach..

So I pretty much agree with you..

But that's the problem.

They should focus on mastering a style/system..

That would take them to the next level.

US agenda is just to WIN. So they can "prove" they are good.

It starts at the youth national teams though..

The coaches of these teams are coaching for themselves.

They just want to win tournaments to bolster their credentials..

They have the top youth talent so they should be pushing a philosophy..

The system.. That's how every position is played.. Over time..

That gets passed on and leads to uniformity..
roll.gif

Athleticism and fitness
QFT

I agree, the Blues looked really flat.

Anyone ever think footy has a problem HGH & other performance enhancers? Looking at Man U games this season, I see Giggsy sprinting across the field & he's sometimes faster than any force kids on the pitch... Dude is 39 outrunning youngsters... What do you guys think?
nah. I dont think so.

In truth, it's kinda crazy Giggsy has scored in all of his United domestic campaigns. Like 49 years and counting.

Imo.. I don't think the US MNT ever really had a style or approach..

So I pretty much agree with you..

But that's the problem.

They should focus on mastering a style/system..

That would take them to the next level.

US agenda is just to WIN. So they can "prove" they are good.

It starts at the youth national teams though..

The coaches of these teams are coaching for themselves.

They just want to win tournaments to bolster their credentials..

They have the top youth talent so they should be pushing a philosophy..

The system.. That's how every position is played.. Over time..

That gets passed on and leads to uniformity..
I wouldn't agree that the U.S. has never had a style or approach. Not that it was stylish per se but the old stigma of "run hard, run fast" certainly had some truth to it and even got us some results. Sadly we can't even claim that as a trait lately. 

The U.S. has focused on mastering  implementing a style/system. In 2010/2011 the entire U.S. development structure was redone. It's been mandated that ALL U.S. youth teams utilize some variation of the 4-3-3. It's been mandated that the focus be shifted from utilizing players with physical speed, power, and athleticism to developing technically gifted players. It's been mandated that all teams emphasize a possession oriented, attack minded style of play centered around high tempo passing and quick movement of the ball, that all development be geared towards developing players with the ability to thrive in such a system. 

Klinsman has repeatedly voiced that this is the preferred system he'd like to utilize within the senior set up but the senior team has not and will not be directly targeted because at that level the objective is just to win, and we simply don't have the personnel to succeed with that philosophy against quality competition right now.

I really have no idea where you get the notion that the agenda amongst present day U.S. youth coaches is to win tournaments, (given recent trends, I'm sure coaches would settle simply for qualification/advancement past the initial knock rounds). It's not the early 2000's anymore. Of course the USSF was behind the curve but in the last six years A LOT has changed at a rapid pace in terms of approach at the institutional level.

Every coach wants to bolster their credentials, and to a certain extent coach for themselves (myself included). The thing is we're finally at the point where the success of the youth coach is not determined by how many games they win, but by the evident development of the youth player they coach. 

Just a side note but we certainly don't have the top youth talent within the U.S. youth set up. One of the biggest challenges is regards to player development in this country is identifying the top talent with incredibly limited resources, within a country as geographically spread out as the U.S. and a population of  +310 million. To provide some context, the entire USSF annual budget fluctuates between 40 and 50 million dollars. That's not the USMNT budget, that's the annual budget to be dispersed more or less evenly amongst the MNT, WNT, YNT, and the youth and adult recreational programs.

When the German federation revamped it's youth development set up at the turn of the century, which is basically who the USSF has borrowed most of its ideas from in restricting our own set up, they injected around $85 million directly into their youth development budget... USSF youth development budget for our entire country is on par with what individual clubs in the top leagues spend annually on their own individual youth development initiatives. We're not even playing with a full deck. 

I typed all that to get to my original point a few pages back on why we're average. It's not directly because of the USSF, it's not because of Klinsman, it's not because of our system of play or tactics. We're average because we lack soccer culture and infrastructure. That's why we have a relatively average player pool to work with at the national team level. Culture must be grown organically, in the last half-century, up until a couple of years ago, about the only thing we've done right in terms of infrastructure was the founding of Major League Soccer/the successful bid/hosting of the '94 World Cup.

The current U.S. philosophy and the structural components that have originated as a result, like the USDA, Major League Soccer's commitment to youth development, and working towards stable lower divisions within the pro ranks, finally have us moving in the right direction. It's a generational thing though. We've seen the steady growth of MLS, tangible results from the USDA in its short five year lifespan, the NASL and USL at least attempting to get their **** together, but it's going to take 10 to 25 years before all these things come to fruition and we see the kind of competitive results most U.S. fans yearn for. 

Didn't mean to write a novel but a symptom I'm sure many of you are familiar with, theirs not exactly an abundance of people to discuss these things with, aka that lack of culture bit. 
ohwell.gif

Last edited:
PIQUE :smokin

Piqué: "I'd like United to go through"
Gerard Piqué talked about the last sixteen knock-out round between Real Madrid and Manchester United in the Champions League and revealed who he is rooting for: "I'd like United to go through because of my history".

The 'Azulgrana' centre-back believes that we are in for a great tie. Piqué acknowledges that his former team comes into the Champions League last sixteen in good form: "I spoke to Ferdinand and the team's in great shape".

PIQUE :smokin

Piqué: "I'd like United to go through"
Gerard Piqué talked about the last sixteen knock-out round between Real Madrid and Manchester United in the Champions League and revealed who he is rooting for: "I'd like United to go through because of my history".

The 'Azulgrana' centre-back believes that we are in for a great tie. Piqué acknowledges that his former team comes into the Champions League last sixteen in good form: "I spoke to Ferdinand and the team's in great shape".

:smokin :smokin :smokin

Last edited:
Matheus da Cunha Gomes, 16yo Brazilian "prodigy" will be having a trial at Arsenal this week. Sounds like he is a winger, a fan Walcott. If he does sign with us, hopefully he doesn't turn out like the other so called Brazilian prodigies we've recently had

Back
Top Bottom