The Ultimate Soccer Thread 2012-2013 Vol. 3 Premier League, La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga etc

You know Kagawa is not Lewandowskis biggest fan right? Kagawa think he's too selffish....he's publicly said that....

Yeah I knew of that, but just for the sake of seeing Kagawa maybe start games and at least play more minutes with a familiar face (history aside), if they sign Lewandowski, I'd hope that they would at least try out the Dortmund pair together just to see what happens. Really the worst that could happen is Kagawa plays like he already does now, and just cant seem to fully click with the MU style of play regardless of who is in the lineup. Best case is that he regains the effectiveness he had at Dortmund, which he has clearly been lacking in the EPL.

Kagawa has certainly clicked with United's style. After recovering from injury, when he was played in his position, he began to find his form, and even put away a hatric recently. When he's out of his role, he consistently keeps the ball alive, and he's even been seen to improve on his defensive work. When he's in his role, he may not be scoring as much yet, but he's definitely a danger dishing out neat little passes around the box, or even having a shot or two on goal. Once Rooney either leaves, or decides to play midfield, you'll really see how settled Kagawa is in his role. The reason why he was so effective at BVB was cause he was played in his role pretty much every game.

Neymar will NOT flop in Europe. The kids footballing brain is something else. Playing alongside Messi will only improve his game as he has a master to learn from in his locker room.

I saw 60m for Falcao to Monaco today....comes as no surprise....

Just got done watching and it continued to confim that Matts Hummels is not that good. How awful was he today? Continued giving the ball away trying to bypass midfield time and again and completely fell asleep in marking Robben's run for the winner. Since we were linked with Gotze two summers ago I've watced a fair bit of Dortmund games (25+ games) and I still have yet to see this supposed WC defender. Subotic is far better defender but since he doesn't bomb forward (away from his job as a defender) he doesn't get the credit.

Heartbreaking for Dortmund to lose on such a soft goal.. Weidenfeller made a handful of great saves, Subotic made that amazing goal line clearance and you concede on a simple free kick over the top at that point in the game? :smh: *sigh* Congrats to Munich though they finally got the monkey off their back.

LOL I mean...for 45m Monaco could have gotten soooooooo many better players. I just don't get it :lol:

I don't follow Porto closely but for the one porto fan on here, is he THAT good? Who knows he may be a superstar soon. His goal/assist ratio is fantastic compared to the number of games he played this past season, but still

I can't get over this bit about James freakin Rodriguez:

His move to Monaco required a transfer fee of 45 million euros, making him the most expensive transfer in Ligue 1 history as well as the 10th overall highest transfer in world football.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Can anybody give me insight on wages of players on top clubs?

I always hear about the transfer fees but I have no idea how much players earn and what bonuses are like for them. Kind of curious to see how their salaries compare to American sport salaries.

Just got done watching and it continued to confim that Matts Hummels is not that good. How awful was he today? Continued giving the ball away trying to bypass midfield time and again and completely fell asleep in marking Robben's run for the winner. Since we were linked with Gotze two summers ago I've watced a fair bit of Dortmund games (25+ games) and I still have yet to see this supposed WC defender. Subotic is far better defender but since he doesn't bomb forward (away from his job as a defender) he doesn't get the credit.

Heartbreaking for Dortmund to lose on such a soft goal.. Weidenfeller made a handful of great saves, Subotic made that amazing goal line clearance and you concede on a simple free kick over the top at that point in the game? :smh: *sigh* Congrats to Munich though they finally got the monkey off their back.
\

Agreed on Hummels for the most part. When he's good, he's imperious, but he can be shocking at times. He doesn't turn well and lacks recovering pace too - which is why I wasn't over the moon about Barca being linked considering the high defensive line. I still think he's a good defender, though. You don't win all he has with Dortmund while being poor, and he was good at Euros.

CL final was a great game. Much more open then I expected, and you could tell Bayern missed Kroos' passing in the middle as they struggled to break the midfield zone. Dante staying on was questionable to say the least, but Bayern certainly deserved it this season. Congrats to them.

Can anybody give me insight on wages of players on top clubs?

I always hear about the transfer fees but I have no idea how much players earn and what bonuses are like for them. Kind of curious to see how their salaries compare to American sport salaries.

Players get paid weekly wages. For ex. David Silva for Man City weekly wages is £200,000 :x Bonuses are number of total games he plays, assists, goals, cup victory, etc.

The transfer fee goes to the club or whoever owns that player in the sake of a player like Neymar.

You can look at Silva weekly wages similar to someone like Lebron James who makes about 95-100g per game.

LOL I mean...for 45m Monaco could have gotten soooooooo many better players. I just don't get it :lol:

I don't follow Porto closely but for the one porto fan on here, is he THAT good? Who knows he may be a superstar soon. His goal/assist ratio is fantastic compared to the number of games he played this past season, but still

You're right, he isn't worth 45m. Porto owed Sporting Lisbon a sell-on fee for Moutinho. It seems they structured the deal so that Rodriguez's fee was inflated at the expense of Moutinho's fee so they wouldn't have to pay Sporting as much. Underhanded, but shrewd move.

Last edited:
Born and raised in San Francisco with strong Portuguese roots, my first memory of soccer was my uncle dragging me along to his city league games when I was four. In addition to that, I remember watching the World Cup in 90 and 94. Still hated soccer so much that I completely ignore the 98 World Cup. It wasn't until 02, when i was 19 and in portugal that I got a full exposure of the game, develpoed an understanding of the game and an appreciation. I always tell people that I was always a football, basketball, baseball, hockey guy. But when you're out of the country and and no one else cares about your American sports, there's nothing you can do except deal with it and watch what everybody else is watching. Then you'll get hooked.. Well that's how it was for me.

I might have to say soccer is my favorite sport right now and probably will be for the rest of my life. But it kinda sucks tHat most of my friends are "every four years" kind of fan and I just end up going to bars alone to watch the games if I don't drag my girlfriend with me.

Literally I have the same story, almost to a tee. Portuguese roots, typical Portuguese father who loves football - but I was so influenced growing up by basketball, football, baseball that I never took soccer seriously. I always took the American sports seriously to play, even when my father forced me to play soccer.

I got a glimpse of the fever when I was 10 years old in World Cup 98. My father lived in France for 10 years since he was 12, so he grew up there, he was going insane during that France run and I celebrated with him but I didn't continue the passion, I still was passionate about the American sports.

I caught the fever in the 2002 World Cup and follow Porto extremly close after, by then I was 14 years old and for some reason I thought I could start playing soccer and could be good enough to make my high school teams. No way. Haha.

Played basketball and baseball in HS but I always regretted not growing up playing footy religiously like I did the American sports. My father tells me I'm a waste of a Portuguese athlete since I'm fast and I'm 6'2, the average Portuguese dude is like 5'7. What a waste of life I am lol :smh:

Maybe I'll pop a son with the same genes, I'll try to force him to fall in love with it earlier.

Originally Posted by RoOk

LOL I mean...for 45m Monaco could have gotten soooooooo many better players. I just don't get it

He's good man, but I can't lie, he's not worth 45 million. Not Porto's fault Monaco are bunch of idiots. That's what happens with these billionaire owners coming in. Look at Chelsea with Torres & Shev, or Real with Kaka.

Is what it is tho, the transfer market is always a gamble. I don't think James will be a world class player but he may, who knows. He's really young so most of the fee was based on potential.

Barca's VP Josep Bartomeu said the Blaugrana plan for the summer transfer window is to get a goalie to replace Valdez who wants to leave, a CB, & forward. So far he's accomplished a 3rd of his plan.

I'm excited they added Neymar & he will do well. I expect a long period of adjustment as there's a huge difference not the way Santos & Barca plays, but also in Brasileirao Serie A & La Liga plays.

I thought the third Barca shirt was going to be solid black with the gradient sleeves (top pic) but it now looks like it's going to be black with stripes (bottom pic). Either way, I'm going to get a Neymar black shirt for my son. Can't wait to get him one.

Off to get ready for my son's semi final game today...

^^ Yeah its a catch-22 in that the Ligue could get more recognition by having legitimate super clubs but then it also will drain talent from the other competitive teams...Monaco are probably a year or two away in my opinion...if they end up adding more top players then they'll likely have chemistry/ego problems. The year after this coming season they could be deadly though :smh:. Hopefully the youth movement at Lyon can keep them competitive

Yea man, Aubameyang, best striker in France behind Ibra. Wish he played for France instead of Gabon. But I've read that he has been linked to PSG, which is what you're getting at more or less. Also read that Eto'o is trying to get him to come over to Anhzi....and if he does :smh: Despite having a great academy, Bayern does this. Buying top German players from other teams. Ego's are always an issue, it speaks in volumes when a manager can handle such and still drive a team.

Yeah I hope Lyon can hold 3rd this weekend with a W, cuz if we don't make CL qualifiers then we're gonna be selling too...St. Etienne can still catch them if they slip up, maybe Etienne hold onto him if they can get third, but I hope not :D. Bayern are notorious for that, which is why Dortmund doing what they did in the recent past even more impressive imo. I really can't understand the appeal of Russia though, especially Anzhi Majaskfdeffaef :lol: don't the players live in Moscow and have to fly to matches, since Dagestan isn't exactly pleasant....not to mention the racism in certain segments (not to say other countries are immune to this too) but money talks I guess, and that weather :x. Ligue 1 is definitely gonna be interesting next year though for sure.

Let's hope Arsene brings Aubameyang to the Emirates though haha

I'm hoping Lyon can get the W too. It's a shame that the Lyon ladies lost in the CL, they really missed their chances. Really wanted Rapinoe to walk away with the title. Lyon will be selling a handful of players this summer. Bastos is back from loan S04, didn't buy him which I'm a little surprised at. I'll be surprised if Aubameyang doesn't go to a bigger club this summer. I just hope it's not Russia. But yea money does talk. I guess it talks enough to put up with those weather conditions, racism and etc. M'vila hasn't played for the Rubin senior team yet. I remember hearing that Hulk tried to force a move in January and as a result he was benched for the season :smh: Would love seeing Aubameyang at Arsenal.

When I say Ligue 1 is a lesser league, I mean that in terms exposure. At least from an American perspective, it wasn't being mentioned. PSG and Bein Sports have changed that. A great place to develop talent, France in general. As pointed out, if some of the restrictions were lessened, it would be even better.

Last edited:
^^Yup I see what you mean, Monaco is definitely gonna help drive interest too...unfortunately :lol: I'm confident Lyon hold that CL spot, they play Rennes while St. Etienne have Lille, which won't be easy for them

Checking out this Roma-Lazio derby for the Italian Cup and Europa Berth until the Ligue 1 games kick off...hope Mikey Bradley can get a W :smokin

What's ya'll take on serie a? Will it ever get back to the powerhouse league it once was or will racism, fixing, etc keep it down for many more years?

The issue is the involvement of the mafia and not only that, but acts of violence targeted against the players. For example, the robbery on Hamschik and Cavani.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom