The Ultimate Soccer Thread 2012-2013 Vol. 3 Premier League, La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga etc

Can some Mexicans in this thread explain why and how a country with 100 plus million people, whose number one sport is soccer - has and continues to be so bad on an international level?

I don't know many Mexicans, I'd ask them but I'll ask y'all. Is soccer not the top sport? Has baseball taken over?

I just don't get it.

Can some Mexicans in this thread explain why and how a country with 100 plus million people, whose number one sport is soccer - has and continues to be so bad on an international level?

I don't know many Mexicans, I'd ask them but I'll ask y'all. Is soccer not the top sport? Has baseball taken over?

I just don't get it.

I've wondered that too...like if you look at the past 15 yrs the US has done equally as well if not better on the full NTs and soccer is like 5th here for high level athletes (depending on many other factors too but the culture isn't as strong here) , Mexico has won youth WCs recently and olympics obviously but that hasn't exactly translated to the full squad. It seems like some of it has been coaches but the "mystique" of playing at Azteca has vanished this cycle, probably since their team has to adjust to it as much as the opponents do. And their team just isn't playing well at all right now.

When I frist got into seriously following soccer closely (like 8th grade) and didn't know any better, I thought they had AT LEAST 2 WC's :lol: If they don't qualify that'll be reaaaaaaaally embarrassing, and it won't be good for the region either imo

Last edited:
I think part of is that Mexico is too similar to the US with it's pro league. There are plenty of promising youngsters, but when they get older and get to Liga MX they just don't develop and progress as they should. Just like in the US, when the young players get to the MLS they stop developing because the coaching and development in the MLS is so poor. Look at all of the US best players yesterday....Bradley, Dempsey, Altidore...they had to go overseas to elevate their games. Same with Mexico, their best players like Chicha, Guardado, Dos Santos had to go to Europe develop and progress as players.

I think it all comes down to organization & creating the infrastructure to create a successful program & sustain it (when it comes to countries like Mexico & the US).

Getting back to what I mentioned earlier, Germany saw mediocre results back in the late 90s in the Euro & WC. They have since transformed themselves into a powerhouse again by focusing on youth development.

This development not only included rounding up talented players but teaching them skills & technical ability. Aside from the names I mentioned earlier, this change from the late 90s also produced the likes of Toni Kroos, Bastian Schweinsteiger, Philipp Lahm.

The US & the Mexicans are woefully unorganized & under developed compared to the likes of Germany & Spain. Then you have idiots like Bruce Arena saying dub ish like our country is just too big...

It kinda reminds me of the state of the US public education & where it's gone within the last 20 years kinda sorta...

Last edited:
Still Psk, I'm not trying to hear about Spain or Germany. Leave the Europeans out for a second. Comparing the resources of Mexico to Europe is useless.

Compare Mexico to a country from the new world like Argentina or Brasil. - Mexico, Brasil, and Argentina are the biggest countries in Latin America, the number one sport is soccer - it's a religion. Brasil and Argentina have done more than fine. In fact, you can make a national team from the best players from there respective domestic leagues and they'd still have a chance to go far and have a good team. - Not everyone has to go to Europe all the time. (In fact many Brazilians and Argentines believe the players in Europe mess up the chemistry sometimes)

Mexico on the other hand - they've literally had no success, none. They've had trouble keeping up with the United States for the past 20 years for gods sake. I just don't get it. Is soccer not a big as we think in Mexico? Has baseball taken a bigger role? - Or are the resources even that much worse than Brasil and Argentina?

It's just weird to me. Even if Mexico is in the gutter you'd assume you'd find a competitive and top class starting XI from a football country with 100 plus million people. - the math just doesn't add up to Mexico and how bad they've performed (decade after decade).

Last edited:
It all boils down to infrastructure - creating & successfully maintaining. It's the reason why Mexico hasn't had success lately. It's the reason why Brazil isn't the powerhouse it once was. The countries here in the Americas specifically parts south don't have successful youth programs that marry talent with technical skill. Once a talent is discovered, these kids get mired to numerous 3rd party agents & sponsorships etc. Look how the youth are developed in those countries as opposed to how it is now in Europe. It's plainly evident.

As far as the US, we celebrate talent & not skill. You have point guards in basketball that can't run a half court offense. You have quarterbacks that have horrible mechanics. Pitchers with awful deliveries blowing out their arms, shoulders, elbows, etc...

Last edited:
@Football__Zone Borussia Monchengladbach are closing in on the signing of Arsenal striker Nicklas Bendtner. [BILD]
Marouane Fellaini wants to move to #AFC this summer but Arsène Wenger wants to negotiate a cut-price deal according to the Mirror.
-Reports already said that've met the buyout clause :lol:

attending my first football match tomorrow, yes its mls, yes its us open cup, but idc idc idc, its free to the public since the match was postponed due to the weather tonight

Still Psk, I'm not trying to hear about Spain or Germany. Leave the Europeans out for a second. Comparing the resources of Mexico to Europe is useless.

Compare Mexico to a country from the new world like Argentina or Brasil. - Mexico, Brasil, and Argentina are the biggest countries in Latin America, the number one sport is soccer - it's a religion. Brasil and Argentina have done more than fine. In fact, you can make a national team from the best players from there respective domestic leagues and they'd still have a chance to go far and have a good team. - Not everyone has to go to Europe all the time. (In fact many Brazilians and Argentines believe the players in Europe mess up the chemistry sometimes)

Mexico on the other hand - they've literally had no success, none. They've had trouble keeping up with the United States for the past 20 years for gods sake. I just don't get it. Is soccer not a big as we think in Mexico? Has baseball taken a bigger role? - Or are the resources even that much worse than Brasil and Argentina?

It's just weird to me. Even if Mexico is in the gutter you'd assume you'd find a competitive and top class starting XI from a football country with 100 plus million people. - the math just doesn't add up to Mexico and how bad they've performed (decade after decade).
I ask myself the same thing. I never took the population into account, but I took the amounts of States and cities into account, and wondered why Mexico doesn't have a powerhouse to compete on the national level. To be frank, I think a lot of the problem is in the system that's in place. It needs to be redone to reconstruct the youth academy. A lot of young players go unnoticed and a lot of times they can't afford to join these academies to be on track for a competitive team. It boils down to corruption I think. Mexico isn't the best place to look for success if I can be honest. This translates to everything. Argentina and Brazil have better economy than Mexico as well. I don't know, it could boil down to just the academy being ****.

Side note, I didn't know Gio was part of Barcelonas academy lol. That says a lot about him. And the fact he doesn't push himself.

Last edited:
Honestly, I just don't think Mexico has enough elite players. Sure they have a ******** of people but they just aren't built with natural skill/talent like Brazil youth, spanish, etc.

Could it be genes? I mean, special players like cristiano, messi, they're born with talent. Then 2nd tier stars like say Marcelo, they are simply guys with extreme talent and so is the ENTIRE brazilian team.

Now look at Mexico, outside of Gio, Chicha and Vela, none of those players can start on a team like brazil, portugal, germany, etc.

That's how I look at it

Beautiful doc if u got time

lets be honest both Gio and jozy are overrated by their fans.. aint no one outside of their countries checking for them.

Gio has not progressed in the slightest IMO... dude is extremely lazy too. I think the chip of going through La Masia has always been his downfall.

Honestly, I just don't think Mexico has enough elite players. Sure they have a ******** of people but they just aren't built with natural skill/talent like Brazil youth, spanish, etc.

Could it be genes? I mean, special players like cristiano, messi, they're born with talent. Then 2nd tier stars like say Marcelo, they are simply guys with extreme talent and so is the ENTIRE brazilian team.

Now look at Mexico, outside of Gio, Chicha and Vela, none of those players can start on a team like brazil, portugal, germany, etc.

That's how I look at it
How can you say something like this with a straight face son. lmao. Mexico has great players in praised clubs like barca and RM loulz. I don't even know what to say, left field as ****.

This is like those arguments about those racist pricks online saying black people are inferior due to genes or some dumb ****. I seriously hope you don't do that. You have very little basis to draw such conclusions, yet you're doing it. You're better than that, try again.

Russled/10

Last edited:

That's how I look at it
How can you say something like this with a straight face son. lmao. Mexico has great players in praised clubs like barca and RM loulz. I don't even know what to say, left field as ****.

This is like those arguments about those racist pricks online saying black people are inferior due to genes or some dumb ****. I seriously hope you don't do that. You have very little basis to draw such conclusions, yet you're doing it. You're better than that, try again.

Russled/10

Praised players dude? foh. Chicha is Mexico best player and be sits on the bench for Man Utd bro. I'm just saying. C'mon now.

You don't understand what I'm saying. Idc, those youth in Brazil are disgusting at such an young age. Even Walcott and the england squad said its amazing how good these kids are and guess what? Most of them will never sniff euro soccer. That's the amazing thing.

I'm not bashing mexican soccer, but don't act like Mexico is dishing out elite players, because they don't.

That's how I look at it
Could the state of chaos in Mexico play a role in the declining of football talent? I mean who has time for football when you got killings and kidnappings occurring daily. I'm not gonna lie to you, that would be the last thing on my mind if I were in their place.

Could the state of chaos in Mexico play a role in the declining of football talent? I mean who has time for football when you got killings and kidnappings occurring daily. I'm not gonna lie to you, that would be the last thing on my mind if I were in their place.

BINGO..

^^ I wouldn't say BINGO to that point

Look at the strength of the Yugoslavian national team during the 90's while the Balkans were ravaged by civil war......

Back
Top Bottom