The Ultimate Soccer Thread 2012-2013 Vol. 3 Premier League, La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga etc

Status update:

@BigJohnTerry: Man United's summer targets

Thiago = fail

Baines = fail

Ronaldo = fail

Strootman = fail

Lewandowski = fail

Why do I have a feeling Fellaini and Baines will be signed and paraded as the boosting of the squad...

Because that is what is going to happen :smh:

Very bleak times to be a Man United fan

Actually, the clause triggered the lower buyout. The contract had a buyout of 90m euros. The board is at fault for having let the clause be included in Thiago's contract in the first place. Of course, hindsight is 20/20, but once the league was wrapped up (it was effectively over by Christmas), they should have alerted the coaching staff to the danger of the clause vesting. I find it hard to believe the staff was even aware of it, as they could have easily thrown him on as a sub in a few more games. Of course, if Tito knew about it, and still refused to do so, then that's another problem altogether - a stunning lack of foresight.

My problem is the staff not even acknowledging that they could get the youngsters more playing time once the league was wrapped up. They had what, the last 3 or 4 league games left when the league was won? Plenty of games to just rest the regulars and give others more experience. 

Romelu Lukaku turned down a loan to West Ham. Looks like the lack of signing of a forward, he's staying and force Jose's hand to compete to be the top forward on the team

Last edited:
Actually, the clause triggered the lower buyout. The contract had a buyout of 90m euros. The board is at fault for having let the clause be included in Thiago's contract in the first place. Of course, hindsight is 20/20, but once the league was wrapped up (it was effectively over by Christmas), they should have alerted the coaching staff to the danger of the clause vesting. I find it hard to believe the staff was even aware of it, as they could have easily thrown him on as a sub in a few more games. Of course, if Tito knew about it, and still refused to do so, then that's another problem altogether - a stunning lack of foresight.

My problem is the staff not even acknowledging that they could get the youngsters more playing time once the league was wrapped up. They had what, the last 3 or 4 league games left when the league was won? Plenty of games to just rest the regulars and give others more experience. 

I said this a few pages back. I'm not sure who it falls on ranging from Barcelona youth director Guillermo Amor, Zubi, or whoever but the folks at Camp Nou really need to sit down & map out a strategy for all the young players they have. I mean here are a few names of those on the B team & just below Jean-Marie Dongou, Alex Grimaldo, Javier Espinosa, Sergi Samper, Xavi Quintilla, Sandro Ramirez, Lionel Enguene, Joseph Ondoa, Rodrigo Tarín, Fran Álvarez, Wilfried Kaptoum, & Munir El Haddadi.

That doesn't include Thiago's little brother Rafinha on loan to Celta Vigo, Deulofeu to Everton, & Bojan among others... That video Ibis posted shows there is even more talent in the younger ranks...

I'm convinced Barca can be set up for decades if Barca carefully maps everything out (along with stopping the foolish spending on the likes of Ibra, Dmytro Chygrynskiy, Alexander Hleb, Henrique, & others).

BTW, Lucho, abovelegit1, & any other Barca fan...

Anyone know the status of the La Masia players that FIFA banned earlier this year? Like the Korean Messi Lee Seung Woo & Cameroonian Patrice Sousia? I know Barca appealed the decision but I never found a follow-up to what happened...Any know the latest on that?

I said this a few pages back. I'm not sure who it falls on ranging from Barcelona youth director Guillermo Amor, Zubi, or whoever but the folks at Camp Nou really need to sit down & map out a strategy for all the young players they have. I mean here are a few names of those on the B team & just below Jean-Marie Dongou, Alex Grimaldo, Javier Espinosa, Sergi Samper, Xavi Quintilla, Sandro Ramirez, Lionel Enguene, Joseph Ondoa, Rodrigo Tarín, Fran Álvarez, Wilfried Kaptoum, & Munir El Haddadi.

That doesn't include Thiago's little brother Rafinha on loan to Celta Vigo, Deulofeu to Everton, & Bojan among others... That video Ibis posted shows there is even more talent in the younger ranks...

I'm convinced Barca can be set up for decades if Barca carefully maps everything out (along with stopping the foolish spending on the likes of Ibra, Dmytro Chygrynskiy, Alexander Hleb, Henrique, & others).
I think most of it falls on Zubi. Between the Valdez renewal stuff, Abidal leaving, Thiago's clause, and the bad transfers, he should have done much better. As the mediator between the coaches and the board, i think he should have done better in the last year. 

La Masia has a ridiculous amount of talent. I can see how a lot of them would leave sooner than they should to get playing time. They are standing in a line that is just packed with talent and who knows if they will ever get the shot to move up the ranks to the first team. Pep knew the talent was there when he was with the B team, and did a good job balancing the youngsters and the first team throughout the competitions. I don't think Tito does that very well. To his defense, he was gone for a good while with his illness so who is to say that things could have turned out differently if he was there the whole season.

BTW, Lucho, abovelegit1, & any other Barca fan...

Anyone know the status of the La Masia players that FIFA banned earlier this year? Like the Korean Messi Lee Seung Woo & Cameroonian Patrice Sousia? I know Barca appealed the decision but I never found a follow-up to what happened...Any know the latest on that?
As far as i know, FIFA hasn't reversed their ruling, so they still aren't allowed to play at Barcelona. They can only play friendlies and tournaments. I think in total there are 6 players under this ban.

BTW, Lucho, abovelegit1,

As far as i know, FIFA hasn't reversed their ruling, so they still aren't allowed to play at Barcelona. They can only play friendlies and tournaments. I think in total there are 6 players under this ban.

Here are the youngsters banned; Koreans Korean Lee Seung Woo, Paik Seung-Ho, & Jang Gyeolhee, French Theo Chendri, Nigerian (Dutch) Bobby Adekanye, & Cameroonian Patrice Sousia.

I understand the meaning/philosophy behind the FIFA policies. They want to prevent the trafficking of young players however (Barca fan notwithstanding), La Masia is unlike any other futbol academy in the world. These kids will get a top notch education along with the best futbol coaching in the world guaranteed up to age 18. In addition, they will come out good young men (Deulofeu notwithstanding).

FIFA sanctions international youth transfers when one of the three following situations apply: the player's parents have moved country for their own, non-related reasons; the move takes place within the European Union if a player is aged between 16 and 18; or the player's home is less than 31 miles from the national border being crossed.

If this policy existed back then, Messi would've never been able to come to La Masia (& get the medical care he also needed).

Last edited:
I think I like Gotze even more. He's sporting Nikes again at a team event (after the dust up at his introductory press conference)..:lol: :nthat:

Last edited:
So here (IMO) are England's best young players at the moment. Please feel free to add any I might've omitted or take someone off.

- Tom Ince (Blackpool, Championship league)
- Nathaniel Chalobah (Chelsea on loan Watford, Championship league)
- Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal)
- Andre Wisdom (Liverpool)
- Wilfried Zaha (Man U on loan to Crystal Palace, Championship league).
- Jack Butland (Stoke on loan to Birmingham City, Championship league)

Not exactly world beaters... So what's Neville yammering about then? Neville fails to identify who deserves to be promoted & given a chance because there is nobody.

English football is in dire straights with nary an up & comer in sight. The Prem wouldn't be any better then the Championship league if it weren't for foreign players.

Wilshere, Luke Shaw, Raheem Sterling

I do understand what he means by clubs don't seem to be willing to take out the time to have a player develop as opposed to instant success. But also HG players doesn't exactly mean UK players only, but also players who have been there for a certain amount of years. I think it's at least 2-3 years before your 21st birthday. He/the article probably should have been more specific.

But I do agree to an extent that there is nobody. I notice this about Arsenal's academy and some others. around the U16 teams and lower and primarily English, at least 75%. And once it gets to the U18/U21, at most, it's 50% and even that it's not often. It's important to point, at Arsenal and I assume this is the same for other clubs but when a foreign player joins the academy, they are guaranteed a professional contract. So that's definitely one factor, in terms of UK/HG players being blocked.

It will be interesting to see how things turn out at the youth level. The record of the sub NT squads is just :smh: Of course there are several other factors. Some which should have probably been mentioned in that article

But what's the story about these youngsters being banned?

Mastamind89-

In order for a child to attend a futbol academy in another country one of the following polices must be met under FIFA guidelines; the player's parents have to move to that country of their own free will, the move takes place within Europe if the player is between the ages of 16-18, or the player's home is less than 31 miles from the border they're crossing to get to the futbol academy.

These measures were created to prevent the trafficking of youngsters using them for their talents & then letting them fall by the waysides if they don't work out. I think what FIFA needs to do is broaden/change the policies they've created to recognize academies like La Masia where they are guaranteed a top notch education through age 18. Like creating a FIFA accreditation so that kids can attend academies like La Masia.

If these broad policies existed back when Messi came to Barca, he would've never been allowed to leave Argentina for Barcelona let alone get the medical treatment he needed at the time for his growth problems.

FIFA is accusing Barca of trafficking the kids which I think we can all agree is not the case. I would let my son go there if he had the talent with no qualms whatsoever aside from missing him terribly where I would proly have to move to Barcelona.

Yeah that happened with the American kid at La Masia, Ben lederman and his dad had to move there with him but work a job not affiliated with Barcelona or something I think. There are certainly loopholes where a kid could be a certain talent and the club find the parent some bs job so they could come :lol:

I agree though having certain academies be accredited as exceptional status or something of that nature. Are there hardship or special circumstance considerations? Like say a scout discovers a 14 yr old from a disadvantaged background in a third world country, with limited access to a proper education, would they be able to move to la Masia or is that a firm ruling?

Yeah that happened with the American kid at La Masia, Ben lederman and his dad had to move there with him but work a job not affiliated with Barcelona or something I think. There are certainly loopholes where a kid could be a certain talent and the club find the parent some bs job so they could come
laugh.gif

I agree though having certain academies be accredited as exceptional status or something of that nature. Are there hardship or special circumstance considerations? Like say a scout discovers a 14 yr old from a disadvantaged background in a third world country, with limited access to a proper education, would they be able to move to la Masia or is that a firm ruling?
There are no hardship or special circumstance considerations. The three rules FIFA set back in 2001 are rules that FIFA is comfortable acknowledging when the player is under 18 years old. 

Yeah that happened with the American kid at La Masia, Ben lederman and his dad had to move there with him but work a job not affiliated with Barcelona or something I think. There are certainly loopholes where a kid could be a certain talent and the club find the parent some bs job so they could come :lol:

There are no hardship or special circumstance considerations. The three rules FIFA set back in 2001 are rules that FIFA is comfortable acknowledging when the player is under 18 years old. 

Gotcha, thanks.

Jose's favorite Valdano is now Sporting Director for PSG replacing Leonardo...

C'mom Thiago... Come to Camp Nou where you belong...

I think I like Gotze even more. He's sporting Nikes again at a team event (after the dust up at his introductory press conference)..:lol: :nthat:

Does Gotze have a Nike shoe contract? Because this is similar to I think Clichy who was in the same situation because his shoe contract was different to his club sponsor.

This is becoming more common....

^^ yeah he does have a private sponsorship with them I believe, same with Gomez (though its not an issue any more for him at bayern). It's in their contract that they have to wear Adidas stuff during official events or they get fined, so he knows he's not supposed to be or he's trollin :lol: maybe Nike is footing the bill for his fines

^^ yeah he does have a private sponsorship with them I believe, same with Gomez (though its not an issue any more for him at bayern). It's in their contract that they have to wear Adidas stuff during official events or they get fined, so he knows he's not supposed to be or he's trollin :lol: maybe Nike is footing the bill for his fines

Nike is most likely willing to fit the bill, just to be a talking point...

These footballers collect cheques for things we think are casual mistakes or showing affection to certain brands...

See I thought he got in trouble because he wore another brands clothes to take photos with a rival company. Most athletes who sign a deal are usually locked into wearing shoes on and off the field for that brand. Watch Real Madrid players for instance.. Cr7 and Ramos always wear nike products (footwear) with every training/travel related event

Back
Top Bottom