The Ultimate Soccer Thread 2012-2013 Vol. 3 Premier League, La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga etc

Clement Grenier signed an extension til 2016 to stay at Lyon, now he'll likely be transferred next year but it's nice we'll still have him in the fold for the coming season

A lot of arm chair/FIFA 13 managing goin' on in here. Javi will be fine playing CB & may even excel. He's played that role when he was at Athletic Bilbao & for del Bosque's Spain team (& played well).

I also like the idea of Gotze playing the false 9 role. But here's the bottom line, Pep's Bayren side has a lot of depth so on the off chance it doesn't work, he can move players around. Even without Gomez, this team is rolling deep with talent. Even more so if Thiago comes over. They'll be fine.

This change pretty much goes together with how Inter has fallen off as a club.

BB has a few nice clothes but the majority of their gear is for old overweight country club members who want to look fashionable. Even their extra slim shirts are wide as Hell in the waist :lol: makes no sense for them to be dressing athletes

Thiago Alcantara is good. But I don't really think he's all that great either. Not as a starter at least. He has potential though.

Arsenal name 24-man squad for Asia Tour
The Arsenal squad fly out to Jakarta on Thursday for the first leg of the Asia Tour 2013 - and the final travelling party has been confirmed.
Youngsters Chuba Akpom, Serge Gnabry, Kris Olsson and Gedion Zelalem have been included in the 24-man group for the matches in Indonesia, Vietnam and Japan.
However, Santi Cazorla and Nacho Monreal will sit out the tour due to their involvement in the Confederations Cup, while Yaya Sanogo is still with France at the Under-20 World Cup.
Thomas Vermaelen will miss the tour in order so he can receive treatment on a back injury, while Gervinho was not due to fly out due to sickness.
Full travelling party
Mikel Arteta
Lukasz Fabianski
Kieran Gibbs
Olivier Giroud
Carl Jenkinson
Laurent Koscielny
Per Mertesacker
Ignasi Miquel
Ryo
Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
Lukas Podolski
Aaron Ramsey
Tomas Rosicky
Bacary Sagna
Wojciech Szczesny
Theo Walcott
Jack Wilshere
Serge Gnabry
Damian Martinez
Kris Olsson
Chuba Akpom
Thomas Eisfeld
Chuks Aneke
Gedion Zelalem

And Southampton has signed Victor Wanyama on a four-year contract

Last edited:
@ManUtd

Breaking: Wayne Rooney to fly home from #mutour after sustaining a hamstring injury. #mufc

It is anticipated Rooney will be unavailable for selection for a month. #mufc

Last edited:
I don't think this had to do with peps vision more than it had to do with him not being able to pass up on acquiring a player with world class potential for under market value.

And I think it's a very positive coincidence for him that not only can Martinez play cb, but he works as the perfect cb for his system with his skills as a midfielder. And another positive coincidence is that Boateng was probably the weakest player in their starting XI so slotting Martinez at CB will at worst only make them a fraction worse defensively.

It's a risk, but bayern won't need to sell any players to acquire him so the absolute worst case scenario is that they have to move him next summer and probably turn a profit in the process even with a buyout clause set up.

It's actually an A+ move imo assuming there's an understating between him and Thiago that if the team isn't meeting expectations, he's not going to be in the starting XI for important matches.

Yup and Thiago would be a fool to go there seeing how that is the case. Pep buying Thiago at Bayern will be no different than wehen he went for Fabregas. He didn't need him, he bought him because as you said Pep wont "pass up on acquiring a player with world class potential for under market value" (They got Cesc for 25m, its still painfully laughable) disregarding if he'd actually have a place in the squad. He wants to leave Barca for playing time, yet Kroos will come back from his injury and they spent 35m on Gotze so he'd still be on the fringes but just in a different squad/in a different country. Make very little sense if I was in Thiago's shoes.

A lot of arm chair/FIFA 13 managing goin' on in here. Javi will be fine playing CB & may even excel. He's played that role when he was at Athletic Bilbao & for del Bosque's Spain team (& played well).

I also like the idea of Gotze playing the false 9 role. But here's the bottom line, Pep's Bayren side has a lot of depth so on the off chance it doesn't work, he can move players around. Even without Gomez, this team is rolling deep with talent. Even more so if Thiago comes over. They'll be fine.

Comments about armchair/FIFA 13 maningin' goin' on in here.......goes on to suggest that Mario Gotze would excel as a "false 9". :lol: :tongue: Oh and Del Bosque played Martinez at CF vs Italy and they won sooo maybe Pep will move him forward. :tongue: (Btw I think the CB for Spain argument in null and void since Pique is the #1 CB....clearly its a weak area.:lol:)

Just playing...sort of...but we're just having a discussion since there is nothing else to talk about. It not like we're discussing real world adaptation of the 4-1-4-1 formation (or whatever it was) again. :wow: :rofl:

They'll be fine? Of course they'll be fine! Nobody is questioning if Pep will win at Bayern. Hell he'd have to be the worst coach in the world to not win in that league with the squad he inherited and after taking the best player of their main title challenger this window (and they're looking to do the same next season with Lewandowski), but some on here are simply discussing how has taken players who really excelled/we're WC in one role at other clubs yet at times Pep has go on to try a shoe horn them into his system in a different role and the player looks a shell of their former self (As Champ said in the case with Yaya and Mascherano and I brought up with Fabregas).

I dont know to me it makes little sense to shift around a team/midfield pairing which straight up demolished clubs throughout last season. They could easily go out a buy a player who is better than Martinez at CB but you wont find a better DM in the world period, thus it seems like such a waste. Munich are only missing really a top top CB to partner Dante and a big name/time CF from being full on unfair.

____________Neuer

Lahm ___New CB_____Dante____Alaba

_____Martinez___Schweinsteiger

___________Muller

Gotze_______________Ribery

__________New CF

(With Muller and Gotze being completely interchangeable)

:smh: :smh: :smh:

Last edited:
I've been reading quite a few tweets and just posts in general where people are not impressed with Moyes. Folks are wondering how he hasn't signed anyone when City and Chelsea have been signing and even Arsenal just signed Sanogo.

Moyes saying he's working hard on signing players, but people want to see results. United's top targets seem to be drifting away....

I saw some other tweets of people saying United/Moyes has been talking about Thiago under his breathe for how long, but then Pep just utters a few sentences and suddenly a player is running towards him...

From what I've seen, seems like Fergie is going to have to get involved in bringing in some players....

Last edited:
I didn't say Gotze would excel as a false 9, I said Javi should excel playing CB. He's played the position successfully at Athletic Bilbao & for the national team. Why go out & buy another CB when you have resources available on your team?

I never said Gotze would excel as a false 9, I said I liked the idea but after thinking about it more, I think he should do well. I think that's what Pep had envisioned all along when they xferred him to Bayern. Gotze has the same attacking ability as Messi. Plus he's played the false 9 role for the German national team & did fairly well (albeit for 3-4 games). He did great his first time out front against Kazakhstan back in March.

Mandzukic would see the bench, but Gotze, Ribery, Muller being supported by Kroos, Schweinsteiger, & possibly Thiago would be nice. It would also be similar to the style Pep played at Barca...

People making blanket statements without knowing these guys have already played well in those roles is down right silly. I guess it's hard to see when your too busy to put the controllers down... :lol:

It's all good though...Cheers. :D

I didn't say Gotze would excel as a false 9, I said Javi should excel playing CB. He's played the position successfully at Athletic Bilbao & for the national team. Why go out & buy another CB when you have resources available on your team?

I never said Gotze would excel as a false 9, I said I liked the idea but after thinking about it more, I think he should do well. I think that's what Pep had envisioned all along when they xferred him to Bayern. Gotze has the same attacking ability as Messi. Plus he's played the false 9 role for the German national team & did fairly well (albeit for 3-4 games). He did great his first time out front against Kazakhstan back in March.

Mandzukic would see the bench, but Gotze, Ribery, Muller being supported by Kroos, Schweinsteiger, & possibly Thiago would be nice. It would also be similar to the style Pep played at Barca...

People making blanket statements without knowing these guys have already played well in those roles is down right silly. I guess it's hard to see when your too busy to put the controllers down... :lol:

I'll wait to be corrected, but I simply don't agree with this. I'm a Gotze fan no doubt, at BVB, he was extremely exciting to watch. But attacking ability the same as Messi? No. I've watch Messi tear through some of the best defences and make it look so damn easy. Often just when you think there's nothing he can do, he pulls a side step or two and curls one into the top corner. As much as I rate Gotze, I did not see the same thing with Gotze.

eiddyfouw - go back & watch some of the German national games if available starting with Kazakhstan from March of this year. Look how easily he played as a false 9 & his attacking ability. It was astonishing. I think another game he played as a false 9 was against the Netherlands. I'm not the only one making the Gotze/Messi comparison, so are a lot of pundits (whatever that's worth). Maybe it's too strong to suggest the same attacking ability but it's similar. If you don't see what I'm talking about then we'll agree to disagree.

Last edited:
@realmadriden: OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT: Real Madrid announce the transfer of José Callejón to S.S.C. Napoli.

Dont have Fifa/or PES and never played them tbh so I guess you aren't talking to me. So I guess I can keep commenting? Sweet. Oh real fast I was just playing with the Gotze false 9 and Martinez at CF bits hence the ":tongue:" emoticons. And I see the move of Gotze to a false 9 for Germany not because they really look to play that way in the future with him as the focal point of their attack, but to get practice to a potential match up (with Spain most likely) where they'f need to combat the opponents personel or tactics (Like Italy did recently in Brazil).

As for the original subject in Martinez at CB, surely you can get why people who, going by how well Munich's midfield and team played (in reali life, not Fifa :lol:) with the arrival of Martinez in the middle see it as a very strong case as to why they feel like moving him to CB is pointless as (regardless of how well he could play there and has in the past) again a better CB could be easily found with the resources Munich has at its disposal but a player to play in his role at DM simply can not (as Busquets isn't leaving Barca anytime soon).

Oh and real fast I dont follow Bilbao at all so I didn't see him play there but maybe two times but from what I remember about Bilbao, much like the Spain NT or any NT, has a restriction on who they cant bring in/call up as Bilbao likes to only sign/play with Basque players so him playing at there at CB may (or may not) have been out of the fact that he was the best option available at the time plus I believe he made his name and his subsequent high priced transfer to Munich off the back of his ability in the middle. Oh and one last point on his time with Spain at CB and being really good, I do question how well he plays there as he cant beat out Pique for spot at CB and Del Bosque would rather him sit on the bench and not use him at all while continuing with other options at CB... I mean we're talking about the 2013 Pique here :lol: he cant beat him out? That's not a good look :lol:

Plus the whole point of the discussion is really trying to fit in someone in Thiago, who imo would be a luxury signing, at the expense of moving around a very very successful team in the process. Makes little sense to me. Do you fee that Thiago is really needed? I ask this because I guess that would be an important piece of information to know when readin about your opinion with this topic.

I'm off to work but I'm enjoying this discussion btw (minus the Fifa digs of course) As you can tell, although I didn't watch him at Bilbao bar a couple of games, once he moved to Munich and was much more accessible I've come to really rate Martinez. 3 players I'd be over the moon if Arsenal broke that bank for are Fabregas, Varane and Martinez.(with Reus and Gotze close behind them). I love watching them play.

Last edited:
Celta sign Rafinha(from Barca) on loan.

Arsenal are trying to sign 17-year-old Paraguayan striker Antonia Sanabria from the Barcelona youth academy, the Daily Mirror reports. The teenager, oft referred to as Tonny, had enhanced his reputation with his performance against Argentina in the FIFA-sanctioned U17 South American Championship, wherein he scored two goals. While little is known about his style of play, given Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger’s eye for young talent, and his ability to mould precocity into genuine talent, the signing might prove to be an inspired one.

Eintracht Frankfurt have officially given up on signing Nicklas Bendtner

@SoccerByIves Another young American making moves overseas RT @RussellCanouse: Named captain of Hoffenheim U19's

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

could be worse....

I mean, you could still have Bebe on your payroll smh

edit:

On second thought, Bebe is our saviour. 100% pass accuracy? Xavi who? Andres who? :smokin

Last edited:
755x10001.jpg

There looks as if there’ll be a new face in Premier League boardrooms next season as Fulham owner Mohamed Al Fayed closes in on the sale of his beloved Cottagers.
The former Harrods boss is set to complete a deal to sell the west London outfit to US billionaire Shahid (Shad to his mates) Khan for the princely sum of £150 million.
The Pakistan-born billionaire is one of the world’s richest men who, according to Forbes is as of March 2013, worth $2.9billion [£1.92billion]
give or take a few cents, ranking him at 179 in the top 400 of America’s wealthiest men.

Khan’s first venture into sports ownership was thwarted by Stan Kroenke, now a major shareholder at Arsenal, who stepped in when Khan planned to buy the St Louis Rams.

However, Khan’s hopes of owning a NFL team were soon realised when in 2011 he bought the Jacksonville Jaguars at a cost of around $760 million [£503 million] and, in doing so, became the first non-American to own a NFL side.

http://metro.co.uk/2013/07/11/shad-khan-is-set-to-be-the-new-owner-of-fulham-but-who-is-he-3878594/

Back
Top Bottom